Granddad John's 52 in 2018

Thick - Nice composition I like the detail in the timber.

We've only had a thin covering of snow so far (thankfully)

i had to facepalm when i first saw your first Thick.....as i didnt get it straight away... I'm voting for the snow scene as snow trumps most things (y)

Guard - The closer crop of the wider shot for me! What is that strange object the dog is guarding?

Thick - The thick snow wins, nice snowy scene.

I find the mis-alignment of the borders at the bottom right a bit jaring but I like the idea of an abundance of photos of abundant water for this theme,

Nice idea John.

Just like Chris I find the overlapping of the photos on the right a bit jarring, just need to bring the bottom one forward.

Pete

Abundance - great set of images and looks good for your first attempt at a collage, just a shame that the bottom right didnt play ball for you. Each image clearly depicts an abundance of water so it fits the theme.

Just catching up with your thread after getting up to date again with mine, and Sharp stands out from your recent images as perfect for the theme and a striking image in its own right, too. I like the shallow DOF drawing attention to the points and of course the bright yellow flowers contrast beautifully with the greenery. Abundance is also a good idea for that theme, and I like the combination of images showing the amount of water from a variety of locations and angles (y)

Well done for having a go at something new John. They are a nice set of images showing a definite abundance of water. I hope it dries up soon for you :D

I like the images you captured there John. Work nicely for the theme.
I think I would have shifted the top right image up slightly, to align at the bottom (you could lose some of the sky without an issue).
How did you do the borders? Put them on each image individually then position the images? Or position the images and then draw the borders in using the pen tool. (The second option is what I use - That way you get the borders all the same size. it can still be interesting trying to line everything up though).

those Abundance shots all look a bit miserable to me. Roll on summer, eh!

There is software, freebie like Picasa, that will throw your pics together randomly, don't like it? click again and they're all rearranged differently ... might work here.

Abundance I like the idea as not only do you have an Abundance of water but also an Abundance of images too! As others have said the layout just needs a bit of work but for a first attempt you've done well.

Nice one John. That cat was in very deep. Good dof being a bit picky I might have just cropped off the very top to miss the top edge of the book :D

Lots of images since my last visit my favorite is the thick snow, I like the montage for abundance too but the snow wins hands down

Went down hoping for some wet pebbles but got distracted by the Easterly gale blowing. Got down on the pebbles for a low shot but couldn't stagger up in time so got wet feet. Teach me to look outside the viewfinder :D

tp52_11-1020286
by granddad john on Talk Photography

Sorry I have not commented on this thread yet John, my commenting has been woeful this year, I keep looking at the pictures and then get distracted and forget to write anything.

Really like the statue for BB, I think that is a great shot and want to see it myself, gate is very majestic and I like your thick snow shot. The abundance collage works for me. Heavy has a great depth of field and an interesting choice of subject. I like your wet shot, we do suffer for our art! Wet feet are no fun in this weather. What is the platform please John?

Hi John

Heavy, I take your word that your word that it is heavy. The DOF works, but for me not as well as it could, it's a bit abrupt.

Wet, It is very. And looks cold and depressing for what we have come to expect this time of year. Just as wll they changed Global Warming to Climate Change.

Pete

That's an original idea for Heavy, John, and well taken. I might have just cropped off the edge of the book at the top but it doesn't really distract from the important text.

Wet is spot on with those rolling waves and the foam in the foreground, and I sympathise with your wet feet. The sea has a habit of doing that when we're not keeping an eye out :D

What is the platform please John?

It's the remains of the return water outlet for the old decommissioned Sizewell A power station. I think the only reason they're still standing is that it's the most southerly breeding colony of kittiwakes in the UK. Ina month or so it'll be covered in them. Feet all dried out now. Thanks for looking

Love these John, really well thought out and shot!

Heavy - very heavy on the shallow DoF indeed. And on the cat! I like the focus on just the line with the formula (y)
Wet - very wet, nice composition and you even got a bird in the shot!
Juxtaposition - clever idea and very well executed, I like the first one most, with just one cream egg in the box!

Catching up on my Comment Rota so get two for the price of one.

Heavy - Like the idea and execution - Neils Bohr is supposed to have said "Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it."
Wet - I recall that view - had a caravan that got moved to a site very near there when they did not like it on their fancy one near Woodbridge, surprisingly nobody wanted to buy it with a view of a nuclear power station.

Last edited:
First egg shot works the best, nice and simple, you should have held onto the others could have used them for oval

Back