weekly Gremlin16's TP 52 for 2017 thread. WK 12 POWER

I think the linky you've put above should be in the thread where all our photos are, pointing people back here. :) Took me 3 goes :D

Black and white really works for me. I love the drama of the train and the smoke. I find the white blob a bit distracting on the roof line. Is it a light?

I think the linky you've put above should be in the thread where all our photos are, pointing people back here. :) Took me 3 goes :D

Black and white really works for me. I love the drama of the train and the smoke. I find the white blob a bit distracting on the roof line. Is it a light?

Oh gawd, like a tit I've only gone and uploaded the wrong one! That white blob should not be there!!! Thanks for pointing it out. And also the linky thing

The POV and the smoke & steam is very engaging and gives a sense of the power of the machine as it hurtles along the tracks. I'd perhaps clone out that stub of a pole (!?!) midway along the bottom but I do like the inclusion of the festive chain of lights along the platform.

Nicely done, great mono conversion and bang on theme (y)

Great shot, love the smoke and the effect the B&W has on the image. Someone mentioned above that you should clone out the pole in the middle though, I would suggest the same. Nicely composed too, as others have said I like the inclusion of the festive lights and scenery in the BG (y)

I can see I'm going to have a bit of competition here.
I like the way you've kept the processing dark, producing a evening feel to the shot, which fits nicely with the theme.
The back lighting of the exhaust also adds to the shot, though it does draw the eye somewhat away from Std 4.
Interesting that they still had the regulator open that close to the station. Presumably it's on an incline (I've not been to the ELR, so have no idea).
It's a shame about the millennial boxes on the hilltop, but there's nothing you could do about them short of employing a bulldozer.

Thanks for all the positive comments, it will really spur me on to try and produce better work. It's my first time at trying anything like this so i am bound to make a few blunders and i apologise for those in advance. Cheers.

Great choice for B&W, also like the modern housing in the background. This is still on my to do list to capture a steam train, must try harder.

Great photo, I like the PoV and the backlit steam. One minor critique would be to maybe use a slightly shallower DoF to get the modern houses blurred out.

Great Shot and you Beat LC2 to getting a train in
Has a late night feel to it and works well in B/W perfect for your song choice

Nice start but there seems to be a bit of a cloning issue round the roof tops good contrast in it though

Yes Allan, there was a god awful cctv pole there on a 180 degree bend at the top which completely ruined any atmosphere in the shot. This was the second attempt at posting it as the first had a massive white blob due to me uploading the wrong edit. I had quite a few issues trying to upload and link etc so I have decided to quit whilst i was almost winning on this one rather than risk wrecking the whole job on two threads!

Next week, I shall focus 100% of my efforts on uploading the correct image first time. I was kind of hoping that the steam would draw everyone's eyes away from my faux pas :)

Yes Allan, there was a god awful cctv pole there on a 180 degree bend at the top which completely ruined any atmosphere in the shot. This was the second attempt at posting it as the first had a massive white blob due to me uploading the wrong edit. I had quite a few issues trying to upload and link etc so I have decided to quit whilst i was almost winning on this one rather than risk wrecking the whole job on two threads!

Next week, I shall focus 100% of my efforts on uploading the correct image first time. I was kind of hoping that the steam would draw everyone's eyes away from my faux pas :)

we all make mistakes/do the best with what we have, its still a good picture didn't mean to be too critical just an observation, the train image is great

week 0 and week 1 two good ideas for the themes, and both images fit the theme for me. Week 1 I like the composition just not to keen on the darkness around the edge of the image.

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with the darkness. I had tried using OCF, but it wasn't really working out due to the table surface. On the shot above, it was actually lit by my 4 year old daughter with her torch, so I'm just glad that there was any light at all really :) :) :)

just a point of note. those new fivers are a bugger to lie flat! which has then made me realise that i have again uploaded the wrong image!!

in my haste to get this submitted on time, you can still see the little piece of wood i have had to put on the other end of the fiver to get it to sit flat.

im now going to go and write 100 lines of

I will check, check, check again that i submit the correct image and that it is correctly tidied up.

je suis un plum massive. :)

Last edited:
Although it's a bit dark I do like the spotlight effect the torch has on the money - I might have tried a little more depth of field to put the coins slightly more in focus. Oh there's nothing more annoying than uploading the wrong image though - I've done it so many times i different places!

I took a range with different aperture values, with that intention in mind but it just looked like money on a table. There was one where the 1p was in focus, but it stopped the eyes travelling down the line and the notes were all just blurred squares of colour.

I'm loving this challenge, it's really making me think about conposition, which is just what I need :)
Thanks for all the feedback so far, please keep it coming.

I'd rather have fun with my 4-year daughter helping with the lighting than learning to use OCF ha ha. Great idea - nice and sharp on the tenner and good DoF. (I actually don't mind the low lighting).

Pls don't tell me they recalled all the fifty notes????!!! I still have my one and only upstairs snuggled next to the moth balls in me wallet.. it's a great concept for Order but I feel the shadow does obscure the 20 too much..

@SamuelSlade007 that's your 500 Rupee notes that have been recalled, your £50s are safe ;)
@gremlin16 I get what you're trying, but it doesn't quite work for me. I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding getting the notes to lie flat.
Just a thought, I wonder what having the coins displayed on just the fiver, perhaps diagonally across it. That would have it lying flat without having to resort to the wood,

I hear you @LC2 ,but they just looked like a pile of coins, there was no order to it. if I'd had more time I would have gently ironed the notes, or even got fresh ones from the bank.

Plenty to work on for next week :)

Back