HelenC's 52 for 2020: Week 52 - Decorate and finished..

Wet - works well in monochrome emphasising the lines, texture and wetness.

Helen, I am in awe of your Autumn shot, was this handheld? I tried getting some shots like this but it just didn't work. The composition and textures are brilliant.

I love your depiction of "Wet", a friend of mine always comments on a lot of my photos being monochrome, moody and minimalistic... but I love this style of shot and it certainly captures the essence in this shot of yours.
Thanks Heather. The autumn shot was handheld - with the the IBIS on the R6 I'm finding myself doing more off the tripod - it's such a massive improvement on my old 5D2.
I'm a sucker for mono minimal images too. I am trying to develop some sort of "style" but get too distracted when I see another type of shot when I'm out and about :)

A bit of a catch-up I'm afraid Helen.

Artificial: I just love that "church" and the story behind it. What an amazing place.
Autumn: That's a beautiful shot with lots of detail. I like the composition too.
Wet: Simple and effective. I like the patterns in the water on the bottom step.

After spending ages looking for hazelnuts but finding the squirrels had beaten me to it.. had to find something else.
This is a sanitisation station.. country style at a local pub :LOL: Definitely nil point for composition on this one!

086A1776
by Helen Cannon

Artificial is fascinating - great back story, and a rather nice house/church [emoji2]

Autumn is really nice - the sweet chestnut looking through is very characterful.

Lovely tones and shades on your wet steps - the crumbling corners definitely shows the power of the water.

Necessity is definitely the mother of Topical invention!! What a great construction - and as a documentary picture, the composition works for me

I love watching the changing fields around me as crops are harvested and immediately replanted. Our food for next spring is already sprouting. I loved the strong line running up the field but the light was awful so thought maybe a b&w conversion with the heavy sky. No sooner had I set up than the sun came out and lit the foreground for two shots.... although I waited it never reappeared. The photography gods were definitely on my side today :)

086A1838
by Helen Cannon

Love that shot, the line leads you right up to that wicked sky. Great colour in the foreground contrasts the monochrome sky so well. You certainly caught the light there.

Topical
Wonderful ingenuity by the local pub. As for composition, it looks alright to me.

Food
Living the contrast between the sky and field. As you say, good strong lines of crops.

great contrast between the sky and the new growth works really well, simple but as you say all about timing

You were lucky to get the light as it really pops that image. Lovely job, a very simple but pleasing scene.

Fantastic timing. And who was it who said the more we practice, the luckier we get! Well done on a well earned combination of timing, and expert composition!

I like the querkiness of the sanitisation station and your field contrasting with the sky is very striking.

Love that shot, the line leads you right up to that wicked sky. Great colour in the foreground contrasts the monochrome sky so well. You certainly caught the light there.
Cool when you get the light just when you want/need it (and not 5 minutes before you're able to get the camera out ;) )
Food
Living the contrast between the sky and field. As you say, good strong lines of crops.
great contrast between the sky and the new growth works really well, simple but as you say all about timing
You were lucky to get the light as it really pops that image. Lovely job, a very simple but pleasing scene.
I like the querkiness of the sanitisation station and your field contrasting with the sky is very striking.
Super picture. Great light and very nicely processed Helen.

Thanks for comments folks. After 33 days of cloud and rain it was lovely to see the big bright thing in the sky, if only briefly.

A wild and windy day on the beach - hardly anyone around and very flat and grey so the lifeguard station really stood out in sharp contrast to the surroundings. Not only that, the sand was been whipped up and its sharpness on my face was painful! Enough shoehorns??

086A1992
by Helen Cannon

Lovely Sharp image, the tones are really nice and it's great in mono. I also like the use of space both with the sky and the sand - the composition works really well and the 2 subjects are nicely sized/positioned in the frame.

Yep that ^^^^ :)

looks so much better on flickr not that it looks bad here, nice bit of minimalism

Do love these minimalist images and this is very well executed.

Lovely Sharp image, the tones are really nice and it's great in mono. I also like the use of space both with the sky and the sand - the composition works really well and the 2 subjects are nicely sized/positioned in the frame.

Nice image, the pale tones suit it perfectly.

Shoehorn or not, it is a very effective picture - you can feel the weather!

Yep that ^^^^ :)

looks so much better on flickr not that it looks bad here, nice bit of minimalism

Do love these minimalist images and this is very well executed.

That's a lovely pic Helen. I really like the processing.

Thanks for dropping by and for your comments. Have to say I was rather pleased how this turned out considering the conditions. I still need to clean the beach out of my camera bag!

Sharp
I would maybe crop a bit off of the bottom. I do like the idea of sharp contrast and you've achieved that well.

I found this mast just a couple of miles away attached to a farm in a fairly remote part of the world - shot in infrared.
I wasn't wildly happy with the result so was going to return in better conditions but given the circumstances I might as well get this one out of the way (give me more time to panic buy loo rolls :LOL: :LOL: ).

086A2137
by Helen Cannon

Really like the sky on this one, hits the theme spot on. Works well in IR.

Not quite an IR image as I've normally come across but a lovely shot overall. Like the sky movement. Which theme is this?
Thanks Stan. It's the digital age theme. Unfortunately, wrong time of year for the silver foliage IR result and absolutely no sun which is necessary too so the overall result wasn't what I wanted. I may retry if the sun ever shines here :)

The long exposure really adds interest to this :)

Back