HelenC's 52 for 2020: Week 52 - Decorate and finished..

No light painting then? :ROFLMAO:

I was going to do the same - head out to my local mast and take some shots. The weather has been dire though. I'd say the poor conditions haven't affected your shot - love the sky!

Hope you got the loo rolls!

Really like the sky on this one, hits the theme spot on. Works well in IR.
I like it too great movement in the sky
The long exposure really adds interest to this :)
Yep - that works. Hits the theme and the photo works too.
I like that sky and it definitely works for the theme.

Thanks for dropping by and for the feedback. Big skies are one advantage of living in a very flat area.

No light painting then? :ROFLMAO:

I was going to do the same - head out to my local mast and take some shots. The weather has been dire though. I'd say the poor conditions haven't affected your shot - love the sky!

Hope you got the loo rolls!

Thanks. I hope you manage to get your shot sorted. I did contemplate your light painting suggestion but as the mast is right by a farmhouse with an attached chicken farm running around with torches at night might attract some unwanted attention. Thanks for the idea!

Went shopping yesterday and the loo roll shelves were empty... I really fail to understand this :confused:

Sharp - Great photo - love it!

Digital age - I like the dramatic sky and the movement in the clouds and trees. Not sure I would have recognised that it had an IR effect added but I suppose it was a way of increasing the contrast in the sky (and a shoehorn for the technique :sneaky:) .

Sharp - Great photo - love it!

Digital age - I like the dramatic sky and the movement in the clouds and trees. Not sure I would have recognised that it had an IR effect added but I suppose it was a way of increasing the contrast in the sky (and a shoehorn for the technique :sneaky:) .
Thanks Phil. Shoehorn.. surely not (squeak, squeak...) :LOL:

I like the feel of your Digital age image (in fact I was looking for something along those lines before I got my phone box). The mono PP and long exposure work well.

Nice job. I still don't quite know what to make of ICM (some of it is far too far off the wall for my liking) but this is very nice.

Works well they have a tendency to be overdone but this ones very good

Nice job. I still don't quite know what to make of ICM (some of it is far too far off the wall for my liking) but this is very nice.
Lovely colours in there, and the ICM has worked here, and definitely achieved the effect your were after.
Works well they have a tendency to be overdone but this ones very good

Thanks guys. It took a lot of shots to find the right combination of aperture and movement so it was still a recognisable image.

I think it's more of an ICM shot than soft-focus shot and the bend tree trunk spoils it a bit too. Maybe a different viewpoint may help. Nevertheless, its a nice shot and beautifully done.
Thank you Stan. I did wonder if ICM would count as soft focus - perhaps ICM is the means to the end?. I have time so may incorporate the same tech another week. Funnily enough I deliberately picked the bent tree to add interest to the shot. Proves the point that one man's meat etc... :)

A lovely afternoon walk during lockdown - the path starts opposite my house and gets very narrow during the summer when the trees are in full leaf.

086A2440
by Helen Cannon

That's a lovely Autumnal scene Helen (y)

The East Anglian coast has inspired many to put pen to paper.. be it writers, artists or musicians. Celebrated at Aldeburgh with the (in)famous scallop..
I hear the squeak of shoe meeting horn :LOL:

086A2754
by Helen Cannon

Last edited:
Hi Helen,
Love this photo, the composition is brilliant and I think being mono, moody and minimalistic really works.
Like your thinking based on the theme. Thumbs up from me.

Hi Helen,

Paper - Hehehe, a worth horning of the shoe. Lovely shot, very striking in B&W.
Narrow - Very Autumnal. The light does seem very golden.
Snappers - Interesting effect, but surely this is ICM rather than Soft Focus ?
Digital Age - Works for me. B&W does seem to me to be the way to go with shots like this, gives them more impact.
Sharp - Quite high key ish too. I really like the minimalist effect of the shot, and the lifeguard hut is in sharp contrast to the beach.

Squeak squeak squeeeeeak :D

A nice plain and simple image, I like it (y)

Nice simple shot!

breyer_p-orridge_shoe_horn_9_view_2_2016_dominatrix_shoe_rams_horn_vodun_iron_python_dried_feeder_fish_glitter_nepalese_printing_block_9_1-2_x_9_5-8_x_6_1-2_in._24.1_x_24.4_x_16.5_cm_cnon_60.758.jpg

Narrow. A lovely landscape Helen and the colours are gorgeous.
Paper: Might be a shoehorn but that's another lovely coastal shot and it works wonderfully in mono.

I’m a fan of minimalistic, so I love your paper shot, albeit a shoehorn [emoji23] It works really well in black and white.

How lucky are you to have a path like that in Narrow, right next to where you live. Beautiful autumnal scene.

I’ve had a play with ICM and I know it takes a lot of attempts to get the right shot. I think the colours work well in this.

lovely shoehorn, it has a fine art/minimalist feel about it - I really like this.

Hi Helen,
Love this photo, the composition is brilliant and I think being mono, moody and minimalistic really works.
Like your thinking based on the theme. Thumbs up from me.

We are going to need a bigger shoehorn, nice image though (y)

Squeak squeak squeeeeeak :D

A nice plain and simple image, I like it (y)

Horn or not, it's a good shot and great in B&W.

A very Nice classic B&W Image Helen.

Pete

lovely shoehorn, it has a fine art/minimalist feel about it - I really like this.

That's a nice black and white shot. Good use of long exposure and composition too. The shoehorns are getting better by the week in this challenge. :giggle:

Great shoehorn, and also a really nice picture. Composition and the long exposure work really well with the black and white.

Thanks for stopping by and for the comments.. I was rather pleased to make good use of a flat grey day to come up with something I was pretty happy with.

Hi Helen,

Paper - Hehehe, a worth horning of the shoe. Lovely shot, very striking in B&W.
Narrow - Very Autumnal. The light does seem very golden.
Snappers - Interesting effect, but surely this is ICM rather than Soft Focus ?
Digital Age - Works for me. B&W does seem to me to be the way to go with shots like this, gives them more impact.
Sharp - Quite high key ish too. I really like the minimalist effect of the shot, and the lifeguard hut is in sharp contrast to the beach.

Thanks Tim.. you're not the first to query the ICM. Will try and re-do the technique before my time is up ;)

I’m a fan of minimalistic, so I love your paper shot, albeit a shoehorn [emoji23] It works really well in black and white.

How lucky are you to have a path like that in Narrow, right next to where you live. Beautiful autumnal scene.

I’ve had a play with ICM and I know it takes a lot of attempts to get the right shot. I think the colours work well in this.
Thanks for the comments. I find myself drawn to the minimalist mono images and given my coastal location and big skies (often grey and flat too) I seem to be developing a certain "style" which I like.

I don’t think it’s a shoehorn, the theme is paper - how you interpret that is up to you. In my opinion of course.

I almost went with a shot of a magpie on a red tiled roof and titled it “What’s black and white and red all over?”

Love the shot.
Thanks Kell... love your idea. Go for it! I do find the various interpretations of a theme interesting - often a path my mind would never have taken me down.

Back