weekly HelenC's 52 for 22 - Week 52: Showcase. Critique welcome

What an interesting wavy wall! I've never seen one like that, so I shall look out for the one in Lymington that @Boots mentioned. I agree on a good job with the exposure.
Pouring here too!

Wow! love the wall. And sunlight too…..we don’t get that around here! :LOL:

Well, thank you for that - what an interesting wall! I saw a similar wall in Lymington and was told a story about it being built by French prisoners of war who either were incapable, or not allowed, to build it straight - but I really don't believe either of those explanations. If you have the space, it's a much stronger form.
@Boots apparently its a cost effective way to build a very strong wall as its only a single brick thick and given those standing here are still around it is obviously true. I was told that they are more often seen in East Anglia as the Dutch engineers introduced it when they came over here to drain the Fens.
The wall on the left looks a bit worrying have to say. I would walk on the right hand side.
Look like the bricklayers had a pint or 8 when that was built. Well exposed with the shadow and sun light.
An interesting alley.
Well exposed bearing in mind the sun.
Thank you very much for the comments folks.

What an interesting wavy wall! I've never seen one like that, so I shall look out for the one in Lymington that @Boots mentioned. I agree on a good job with the exposure.
Pouring here too!
The strong shadow combined with two unusual walls makes that quite an interesting alleyway.
Wow! love the wall. And sunlight too…..we don’t get that around here! :LOL:
What an interesting way to build a wall! Great picture!
Thanks for taking the time to drop by and comment.

The wavey wall, sunlight & shadows make this an interesting image

No litter or wheelie bins - an odd sight these days!

Nice and wide too!!!

That's a lovely shot in nice but tricky light Helen. The wavy wall is just great.

Don't see many brick fences where I am, I always find them interesting.

The wavey wall, sunlight & shadows make this an interesting image
No litter or wheelie bins - an odd sight these days!

Nice and wide too!!!
@Nod one of the benefits of living in a rural area... we don't seem to get the litter problem!

What a lovely wall! I wonder why it was built that shape? Edit - Just read description above on wavy wall construction.
That's a lovely shot in nice but tricky light Helen. The wavy wall is just great.
Don't see many brick fences where I am, I always find them interesting.
Thanks for the kind comments and for dropping by.

That's a great picture, the colours suit the heavy feeling of the picture too. I might have been tempted to edit out the bird in the sky but that's just me. I also like how you positioned the boat off to one side too. (y)

Love that shot. I reckon a good mono is to be had too!

Oppressively heavy ... fits the theme, a lovely image

That's a lovely photo.

A stunning shot Helen. Beautiful lighting complemented by great processing. Love this.

Thats a lovely shot, and nicely composed. I didn't see the bird @Simonbrown16 mentioned until I went back an had another look, but on the same point I might have cloned out or cropped out the ?post? on the far right. That very minor point aside it's a cracking shot and captures the theme brilliantly.

Terrific shot Helen. That heavy sky is really foreboding and the colours and composition are spot on.

My only criticism is that the right side is very slightly heavier than the left. ;)

That's a great picture, the colours suit the heavy feeling of the picture too. I might have been tempted to edit out the bird in the sky but that's just me. I also like how you positioned the boat off to one side too. (y)
Heavy sky, heavy sea by the look of it.
Fits the brief well.
Love that shot. I reckon a good mono is to be had too!
Lovely shot!
Oppressively heavy ... fits the theme, a lovely image
That's a lovely photo.
That's a very heavy looking Sky, the boat adds scale.
A stunning shot Helen. Beautiful lighting complemented by great processing. Love this.
Thats a lovely shot, and nicely composed. I didn't see the bird @Simonbrown16 mentioned until I went back an had another look, but on the same point I might have cloned out or cropped out the ?post? on the far right. That very minor point aside it's a cracking shot and captures the theme brilliantly.
That's a beaut.

The idea of Heavy Skies never occurred to me...
Terrific shot Helen. That heavy sky is really foreboding and the colours and composition are spot on.
My only criticism is that the right side is very slightly heavier than the left. ;)
I really like the feeling of desolation.
Thanks for the great comments folks. I have to say it is a little over processed to create the heaviness (for me anyway... ).

Thanks for the great comments folks. I have to say it is a little over processed to create the heaviness (for me anyway... ).

My comment was because the right side is marginally lower than the left. (I have problems with horizons, even using levels.)

Super shingle shot Helen :)

Nice take Helen, so many different interpretations for this weeks theme and this one is unique(so far).

Alley - it's a really interesting wall and would have took considerably longer to build than a conventional one. Nice pockets of light being generated in the curves.

Heavy - It's a great image, simple composition. Though I reckon a judge might say there is too much sky, but you have good leading lines

Light - Nice foreground detail that is being kept in check by the mid ground, lots to see and investigate in the image

Very nice low level shot emphasises the subject.
Nice light.
Super shingle shot Helen :)
A nice low angle shot of milky water.
A beautiful image Helen. Love the colours.
Nice take Helen, so many different interpretations for this weeks theme and this one is unique(so far).
I like that Helen. The light is just right and I love the low angle.
The pebbles have lovely reflections of the light! The low angle works well. Did you get wet feet?
@Bebop no wet feet when taking the shots... but later on, while trying to review the images through the viewfinder as the light was so bright on the screen, I got caught be a rogue wave!

That's very nice. I do like your beach shots......
Alley - it's a really interesting wall and would have took considerably longer to build than a conventional one. Nice pockets of light being generated in the curves.

Heavy - It's a great image, simple composition. Though I reckon a judge might say there is too much sky, but you have good leading lines

Light - Nice foreground detail that is being kept in check by the mid ground, lots to see and investigate in the image
There's a softness to that that I like a lot.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Much appreciated.

Back