weekly Ian's 52 of 2016 (Week 27; Activity added)

Danger- I like the way you have taken it from the centre of the car so it could have been you driving.

Last edited:
Danger- I like the way you have taken it from the centre of the car so it could have been you driving.
Thanks, and yes that was my intention so I'm glad you picked up on it :)

Besides, it would have annoyed me had the dash not been symmetrical [emoji1]

Hi Ian, it's taken a while, but I'm here to return your visit to my thread last month! I've been catching up with my themes and am now trying to get around the threads I haven't seen yet. You haven't posted for a while but you're not that far behind so don't give up :)

Just had a look through your themes to date and my favourites are the edited version of the buoy for Metal, as the low POV and colours make it pop, the second for Captive as the POV again adds real impact, as does your choice to shoot from behind, which gives a real feeling of longing to be outside in the garden. All of your images for Miniature shots are beautifully lit and the arrangements are good, with #2 being probably the most effective, and Happy and Abandoned are both super indoor images and meet the title perfectly; the personal significance of the items for Happy, and the low POV and narrow DOF perfectly isolating the Abandoned toy while still showing enough of the surroundings to tell the tale.

Finally Danger is just that; lots of cars all around you, and it appears to be from the driver's POV so there's that sense of danger of taking the photo while driving too. And a lovely sunset as a bonus!

Looking forward to seeing more from you - you're not that far behind! :)

Topical - I see where you're coming from, but minus points for 1. HP, 2. @Cobra
Living World - Well focused and exposed considering how long cats stay still and the light you were evidently contending with. I feel it was a good choice to not go down the noise reduction route as you would have lost detail in the fur / whiskers.

Topical - I see where you're coming from, but minus points for 1. HP, 2. @Cobra
Living World - Well focused and exposed considering how long cats stay still and the light you were evidently contending with. I feel it was a good choice to not go down the noise reduction route as you would have lost detail in the fur / whiskers.
Heh, thanks Tim. Worth a shot! It's actually one of the easiest in Topical so may re-shoot that one when not playing catch up.

Your observation on the second one is appreciated too and matched my own thoughts exactly.

Ian....I'm in no way a cat person, but I love that living world image.

Clever catch up with Topical, use it for technology too:).
Nice focus on the eyes for living.
Thanks, Clive. Glad someone appreciated it, eh Tim!? ;)
Ian....I'm in no way a cat person, but I love that living world image.
Thanks, that will mean a lot to Mia! She's won the hearts of many a non 'cat person' :)

nice pic for living world, its a view i am very familiar with both our cats do the same thing, WB is slightly off maybe though

nice pic for living world, its a view i am very familiar with both our cats do the same thing, WB is slightly off maybe though
Yeah it is a favourite spot of hers. I can see where you're coming from re: the WB. Viewing my phone it does look a bit off whereas it looked fine on the laptop strangely.

Hi Ian, well thought out capture for topical - smart thinking and a decent capture.

Living world feels a bit snapshotty to me - other crit has been given which I agree with and just wonder if some more interesting light from a window or something could have helped deal with the noise, WB and lack of punch?

Hi Ian, well thought out capture for topical - smart thinking and a decent capture.

Living world feels a bit snapshotty to me - other crit has been given which I agree with and just wonder if some more interesting light from a window or something could have helped deal with the noise, WB and lack of punch?
Thanks, Paul.

If I'm honest, the living world WAS a bit snapshotty so well spotted. As you say, not a particularly interesting background and due to the dimensions of our house available light was minimal. I've taken far better of the cat but of course, they were before the subject was announced and that would be cheating ;)

Thanks, Paul.

If I'm honest, the living world WAS a bit snapshotty so well spotted. As you say, not a particularly interesting background and due to the dimensions of our house available light was minimal. I've taken far better of the cat but of course, they were before the subject was announced and that would be cheating ;)

I know how tough it can be to squeeze this in as well - with important life going on alongside! I'm lucky to be able to shoehorn comments in while I'm waiting for work to come back from others... but actually getting out to take a shot is a lot harder. Well done on starting to catch back up - keep at it! (y)

I know how tough it can be to squeeze this in as well - with important life going on alongside! I'm lucky to be able to shoehorn comments in while I'm waiting for work to come back from others... but actually getting out to take a shot is a lot harder. Well done on starting to catch back up - keep at it! (y)
Spot on. Yesterday was spent tidying and fitting stair gates unfortunately! Will get there certainly, no doubt with a few re-shoots to be done in future :)

Topical- is topical for all of us
Living world - I think it's a lovely picture.

Wee change in WB and some noise reduction and I'm a little happier with it. Still a little flat perhaps, but the background does nothing to help that sadly!

Project 52 - Week 9 (The Living World)
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Ian Hi, liking your edit for the living world. Maybe a B&W with a touch of extra. contrast. I like your composition for topical

Loving Living World love the expression on the cats face. Probably thinking that's not food put it down and feed me now please

First of all thanks for all the comments guys, they really are much appreciated. I've been severely lacking in this department but will be rectifying this soon.

Here's another of my catchup shots....Spiky! (Week 10)

Project 52 - Week 10 (Spiky)
by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Ian

That's a great image Ian - love the backlighting which picks out his outline very nicely and the spiky hair especially. :clap:

That's a great image Ian - love the backlighting which picks out his outline very nicely and the spiky hair especially. :clap:
Thanks, Carl. With no more than on camera flash, I prefer to make use of natural light wherever possible. I really want to get a cheap flash gun to start me off, but summer is here soon so daylight will do for now :)

Thanks, Carl. With no more than on camera flash, I prefer to make use of natural light wherever possible. I really want to get a cheap flash gun to start me off, but summer is here soon so daylight will do for now :)
I think you've more than mastered the on-board Ian; off camera flash opens up a whole new dimension so well worth the investment and I'm sure you'll enjoy the added interest.... but they do cost.
Of the Artificial's, like the first of the candle's best - makes quite an intriguing image.

Hi Ian I love your image for spiky the light and shadows are brilliant

Artificial lovely and colourful

Spiky - lovely Image I love the glow of light around him.
Artificial - a great group of pictures I really like the last candle picture great colours.

Hi Ian :)

A good catch up, I'm particularly liking the Cat looking through the stair balustrades, and also your technology with your themes on your mobile, great selection of props !!!

The Faux flower has some nice detail and good vivid colour, but my fav is the last candle shot looking up from below, again nice colours, and I especially like the lit rim against the blue background (y)

Hi Ian

I am catching up with the comments as well!! Spiky is a great shot - good use of natural light and the image has a lovely balanced composition which I really like! Faux flower - nicely tight crop and fine detail - well taken! I like the overhead shot of the candle as well - perfect exposure in tricky light - and makes you think ! Good work !

Hi Ian, I couldn't find a link to this thread on the main pictures thread, but managed to find my way anway :)

Faux flower works well as both an image and for the scene - very pleasing. But my fave is the candle looking vertically down (the circles) - it really works for me as an abstract, and does so as a standalone image. I think it's really good :clap:

I think you've more than mastered the on-board Ian; off camera flash opens up a whole new dimension so well worth the investment and I'm sure you'll enjoy the added interest.... but they do cost.
Of the Artificial's, like the first of the candle's best - makes quite an intriguing image.

Mastered it? Nah. I just avoid using it at all! haha. Thanks for the comments again :)

Hi Ian I love your image for spiky the light and shadows are brilliant

Artificial lovely and colourful

Cheer for that. I always prefer the shots of my son, though admittedly I'm perhaps a little biased with regards to the subject matter ;)

Spiky - lovely Image I love the glow of light around him.
Artificial - a great group of pictures I really like the last candle picture great colours.

Thanks, Minx. Artificial was one that stumped me for ages and with time evading me I took a quick walk around the house for anything that'd fit....with the result being a candle and flower as you can see!

Super shot for Spiky ....I like the second candle one for Artificial as it shows the flame, the flower is very eye catching too with its brilliant colour.

Thanks Susie :)

Hi Ian :)

A good catch up, I'm particularly liking the Cat looking through the stair balustrades, and also your technology with your themes on your mobile, great selection of props !!!

The Faux flower has some nice detail and good vivid colour, but my fav is the last candle shot looking up from below, again nice colours, and I especially like the lit rim against the blue background (y)

Believe it or not......the themes on my mobile was for topical! That said, with me still playing catch up I may well use it for Technology as well at this rate haha. Thanks for the other comments too.

Hi Ian

I am catching up with the comments as well!! Spiky is a great shot - good use of natural light and the image has a lovely balanced composition which I really like! Faux flower - nicely tight crop and fine detail - well taken! I like the overhead shot of the candle as well - perfect exposure in tricky light - and makes you think ! Good work !

Thanks for those comments, Richard. Finding time to comment is extremely difficult so it's much appreciated (as I do everyone who has taken the time to add comment). The overhead candle shot is my personal fave too ;)

Hi Ian, I couldn't find a link to this thread on the main pictures thread, but managed to find my way anway :)

Faux flower works well as both an image and for the scene - very pleasing. But my fave is the candle looking vertically down (the circles) - it really works for me as an abstract, and does so as a standalone image. I think it's really good :clap:

Cheers, Paul. As above, the overhead shot of the candle with circles is my favourite also. I personally love the abstract nature of it and wonder how many would have guessed what it was without the other shots posted also. I guess I'll never know!

Hi Ian

Nice front lit back lighting in Spiky. ;)

Nice focus on Artificial flower textures.

and intriguing birds eye view of a candle. (y)

A good catch-up, Ian (y) I like your edit of The Living World, which makes the most of the light conditions and shows off your lovely, curious cat. Spiky is well observed with that great back-lighting and his super hair, and the first shot for Artificial is a cracker with those fantastic bold pinks and the textures of the artificial petals :clap: Really like that one.

Last edited:
Back