It's That Numpty Time Again - Who is up for it?

I'm sure you can still post it in the "proper" thread; this challenge doesn't require anonymity like POTY!

Asda lost my film, then found it after 4 of them looked for over 30 minutes. Then I was told the machine was broken so they couldn't do it :mad:

I pick them up from boots tomorrow :D

That's very odd, Dave, I've not seen anything like that. Not just the red but that strange gridded effect. No chance of double exposure, is there?

Where did you get them processed? Oh yes, Boots... Nope, doesn't help, they should know what they're doing (but may not)?

That's very odd, Dave, I've not seen anything like that. Not just the red but that strange gridded effect. No chance of double exposure, is there?

Where did you get them processed? Oh yes, Boots... Nope, doesn't help, they should know what they're doing (but may not)?

Even double exposing wouldn't give that grid marking though would it? I can't think of anything obvious that it could be, mind.

Just got mine back from Peak.

I'm very pleasantly surprised. They've all come out really well apart from one.

And I like that one.

CNV00015
by simon ess on Talk Photography

I really like that :)

:crying: :crying: :crying: but that was my only chance of getting a vote (and even then I might not)

Added a couple to the voting thread. They would look much better with a contrast boost, but they are as out of the scanner. Ilford HP5+ devved in Ilfosol 3.

Ok, added my 3 to the voting thread too.

I will not make any excuses about the results, but I'm not happy because the colours are not real, the auto-balance of the lab's scanner makes a horrible shot even worse. :confused:

Here the camera I've used, and here the complete set. :snaphappy:

Ok, added my 3 to the voting thread too.

I will not make any excuses about the results, but I'm not happy because the colours are not real, the auto-balance of the lab's scanner makes a horrible shot even worse. :confused:

Here the camera I've used, and here the complete set. :snaphappy:

I really like some of those, the colour balance isn't really an issue, they have a lovely 'old' feel to them - some people spend hours in editing programs trying to achieve that look! :LOL:

Well I bought myself a camera, but haven't even unwrapped it yet and haven't had time to go out and get the shots I had in mind. I'm never going to hit the deadline for this Sunday (especially as I'll need to send off the film to get processed) so am I allowed to take pictures as and when I see fit, in order to enter them in next year's contest. Alternatively do I need to stick it in the fridge until next year and start taking pictures after the compo is announced?

You could always try asking @Yv to extend the deadline (although F&C waywardness may not apply in these more regimented parts of the forum ;) )...

You could always try asking @Yv to extend the deadline (although F&C waywardness may not apply in these more regimented parts of the forum ;) )...
I could, but I don't think it's fair on everyone else who managed to stick to a deadline.

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”

OK, I "finished" my Rollei b&w camera (or at least thought I had). It cracked open very easily, and with a changing bag would be easy to reload with another film. There was a lot of film still wound out, so I reckon there were probably a couple more shots in it. I had stopped after the "shots left" passed below 1, as I wanted a little leader left out for my Rondinax tank.

It turns out the film is not Rollei Retro 400 as I had expected, but Superpan 400. This film is not listed in the massive dev chart (an unspecified Superpan is listed, but is 200 ISO). A post I found somewhere said it was rebadged Agfa AviPhot aerial photography film, specially low contrast. Can't find any dev times for that either. I'll mention this on F&C but I thought I should give a heads up to other folk (thought if you send the camera off for processing, it's their problem I guess... and they'd probably apply a contrast boost in scanning).

Last edited:
I really like no 3 too (where did I acquire my taste from, Chris? ;) )

I like number 3 but sorry, the comment refers to number 4...

OK, I "finished" my Rollei b&w camera (or at least thought I had). It cracked open very easily, and with a changing bag would be easy to reload with another film. There was a lot of film still wound out, so I reckon there were probably a couple more shots in it. I had stopped after the "shots left" passed below 1, as I wanted a little leader left out for my Rondinax tank.

It turns out the film is not Rollei Retro 400 as I had expected, but Superpan 400. This film is not listed in the massive dev chart (an unspecified Superpan is listed, but is 200 ISO). A post I found somewhere said it was rebadged Agfa AviPhot aerial photography film, specially low contrast. Can't find any dev times for that either. I'll mention this on F&C but I thought I should give a heads up to other folk (thought if you send the camera off for processing, it's their problem I guess... and they'd probably apply a contrast boost in scanning).

Well, if you haven't bought a Rollei B&W Single Use camera... don't! And I won't be putting another film in it, either!

It's beyond soft at the edges:

Distant building looking pretty soft in the centre:

You've got to get down to something like 3 feet for the centre to be sharp(ish)!

BTW the actual film was really Rollei Retro 400S, despite saying Superpan 400 on the camera and cassette. But in the end I did find some dev times that worked, and I'm glad I didn't pay over £6 to get it done preofessionally!

The month has run away from me.... one camera only half done, the other not started. And I'd have to send the one I have half done away I think as it's an Ilford HP5 and I don't think Boots or Snappy Snaps develop those.

Is the deadline going to be extended Yv or will I just write this year's comp off?

I am also still waiting for my prints from Ilford... Not expecting anything wonderful but it was certainly a very interesting task. I kept on thinking on ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc. until I would realise "this" was just all there was.

@Yv - if you are going to extend the dead line for submissions how about opening the voting on the 1st of Oct anyway, that way people who got in on time will get a bit of a bonus in early voting, or just give the people who entered on time a bonus to start with?

*mutters* I haven't managed to finish one of the cameras yet...might extend by a couple of days.... *runs and hides* :ROFLMAO:
a week please, pretty please ... honest miss I have a good excuse ... moved home, ordered a camera from Amazon, wondered why it hadn't arrived next day as I have Prime, only to get a call a couple of days later from our old neighbours asking what I wanted them to do with a delivery from Amazon - numpty fits I think.

The month has run away from me.... one camera only half done, the other not started. And I'd have to send the one I have half done away I think as it's an Ilford HP5 and I don't think Boots or Snappy Snaps develop those.

Is the deadline going to be extended Yv or will I just write this year's comp off?

I am also still waiting for my prints from Ilford... Not expecting anything wonderful but it was certainly a very interesting task. I kept on thinking on ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc. until I would realise "this" was just all there was.

@Yv - if you are going to extend the dead line for submissions how about opening the voting on the 1st of Oct anyway, that way people who got in on time will get a bit of a bonus in early voting, or just give the people who entered on time a bonus to start with?

a week please, pretty please ... honest miss I have a good excuse ... moved home, ordered a camera from Amazon, wondered why it hadn't arrived next day as I have Prime, only to get a call a couple of days later from our old neighbours asking what I wanted them to do with a delivery from Amazon - numpty fits I think.

OK, 1st of October sounds like a VERY sensible plan and a good compromise so if you still haven't managed [like me..who now has the pics on camera just needs to stick them through the chems & scan] to get them processed, you have until midnight 30th to get them posted on the thread. ;)

Last edited:
Not a hope in heck for me. I went out yesterday to Hare Hill and left the camera behind together. Was a beautiful day too. I have now put camera into spare pocket so it will be with me until I've jolly well used it!

Not a hope in heck for me. I went out yesterday to Hare Hill and left the camera behind together. Was a beautiful day too. I have now put camera into spare pocket so it will be with me until I've jolly well used it!

I did whitstable with some TP'ers yesterday,... there is a certain freedom to walking round with Fuji wielding warriors whilst taking pics with a disposable. :LOL: Just need to prise them open and extract film now. Oh and hope my developer hasn't expired

I was hoping for a week's extension, a day won't do it. My own fault, good intentions and all that. Good luck to those entering, I look forward to seeing the results!

Well I got mine stripped out of the casing today, found easiest way with the HP5 disposables to just take case apart into two pieces, being careful not to touch that flaming big capacitor near the flash. Canisters just dropped out, ready to pop into changing bag. So through the chems, via my usual groping around in the dark and much cursing, and then hung to dry for a few hours. This evening scanned them all, and the results are a bit grainy and some very noticeable edge softening, but all told, could have been much and will look better with a bit of polishing up on the others. Anyway, 3 posted on thread, only passed through editing for resizing.

Will get some also rans up tomorrow, my mac mouse batteries just died, so left them charging and retired to my pit with the laptop :D

Last edited:
Back