weekly Jakeblu's 52 for 2016 Week 16 Vast added

Interesting take Steve, I guess there isn't too much you can do with a manikin, pose wise, but it certainly fits the theme :)

Hi Steve - a couple of interesting shots. This is a good subject because it's hard to get much texture & definition and it's a bit "glare-y". Well done on the first especially - whilst it doesn't scream its form at you, there's enough shadow detail (just) to make out the contours. Interestingly, the second show how difficult it is to light for "form" as I think more acute lighting might have helped show the shape better. It's a fun composition though and perfect for the theme, well done (y)

Spiky - Great image they defiantly look spiky to me

Artificial - Great take on the theme I love the fun of the 2 nd version

Hi Steve, thanks for dropping by my thread a few weeks ago and I'm sorry it's taken so long to visit yours. I've almost caught up with my themes now so I'm here for a first visit and a quick catch-up. I'll try to stay up to date from now on!

My favourites so far are:
Metal - I love all the bold colours and textures of the rust and peeling paint!
Miniature - a 'grate' idea (sorry, I couldn't resist, either) ;) Good use of DOF to accentuate the small grater and still leave enough details in the one behind.
Happy - excellent use of bright colours to underline the theme and clever use of props, especially the jaunty feathers. Very nice indeed :clap:
Abandoned - black and white and the low POV really work well.
Dangerous - spot on for the theme and strong tones and reflections against the white background (y)
The Living World - super light, and the snow in the track and the low sun lead the eye perfectly to the tree.

I've enjoyed your thread and will be following in future so will keep up now :)

Hi Steve.

Artificial....Love the first one. Perfect for the theme. The second one made me chuckle.
Personal....Your own shadow, yep, I'd say that's personal! Great colour and lovely elongation.

Yeah, definitely Personal. Nice simple composition, lovely vibrant green and well defined shadow. :clap:

I like the simplicity, colour too, of your original Artificial.

And Personal ... really quite a clever interpretation.

Artificial, .Love the first one. Spot on for the theme.
Personal.,...Your own shadow, perfect for the theme. good idea and well took.

spiky - My legs have come a cropper on them many a time very spiky indeed
artificial - on theme I like the humor of your 2nd shot

Hi Steve.

Artificial....Love the first one. Perfect for the theme. The second one made me chuckle.
Personal....Your own shadow, yep, I'd say that's personal! Great colour and lovely elongation.

Yeah, definitely Personal. Nice simple composition, lovely vibrant green and well defined shadow. :clap:

Some excellent ideas coming out for this theme and that's one of them....very personal and really nicely done too.

Are you Peter Pan? ;)

I like your takes on artificial and personal - especially the crop on the mannequin. the pumpkin head made me lol!

I like the simplicity, colour too, of your original Artificial.

And Personal ... really quite a clever interpretation.

Artificial, .Love the first one. Spot on for the theme.
Personal.,...Your own shadow, perfect for the theme. good idea and well took.

Hi Steve, good image and effective. Simple is often the strongest!

Also like your choice of wide angle to really distort the legs closer to the camera.

Good idea, Steve. A good strong shadow against the nicely textured grass.

Personal - Nice simple image great idea some good detail too

spiky - My legs have come a cropper on them many a time very spiky indeed
artificial - on theme I like the humor of your 2nd shot

Thanks everyone for the kind comments I really appreciate it, helps keep me going when I feel I've hit a bit of a block.

Week 13 Effort.

Never fails to amaze me the effort that it must take to flourish in such a barren environment,

Effort by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

I like that Steve I wonder if it would be better if it was cropped so it was just the path and plant

Thanks Mark, its actually the top of a wall, I had hoped the crop made it more obvious but clearly not :)

It must certainly take some effort to cling to life there Steve.
I really like the lichen on the bricks too :)

perfect image for "effort" always amazes me how plants can take hold of almost anything and flourish, the plant above is quite happy in cement, goes against everything you think you know

I like it as it is,good idea for the theme, that little plant is certainly making an effort.

Hi, I like that Steve. Definitely on theme for me and unlike some of the other shallow DOF shots it's not making me feel seasick! So you definitely get a (y) for that. It could perhaps bear a slight exposure lift to get those petals whiter? But good take nonetheless.

It must have taken great effort to have survived in that hard environment - good choice for the theme.

Personal - I can't believe I missed this one last time unteresting take on the theme.
Effort - I like the colours on the wall and agree they perfectly fit the theme

It must certainly take some effort to cling to life there Steve.
I really like the lichen on the bricks too :)
Thanks Ruth, much appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.

That's an usual take on the theme. Just wonder would a portrait format crop with only the bricks works better?
I actually had this as a portrait crop at first but preferred this one.

Nicely thought out, like the take,
Thanks Walter, I appreciate your comments

perfect image for "effort" always amazes me how plants can take hold of almost anything and flourish, the plant above is quite happy in cement, goes against everything you think you know
Cheers Allan, it did seem strange this flower blooming out of the cement in a garden wall.

I like it as it is,good idea for the theme, that little plant is certainly making an effort.
Cheers Chris, thanks for commenting

Hi, I like that Steve. Definitely on theme for me and unlike some of the other shallow DOF shots it's not making me feel seasick! So you definitely get a (y) for that. It could perhaps bear a slight exposure lift to get those petals whiter? But good take nonetheless.
Thanks Paul, I think I was a little worried about blowing the whites so left them a little dull.

Hi Steve ...I did think a crop at first, but looking at it again I think it works really well with the long aspect, nature sure is persistent isn't it :)
Certainly is Susie, thanks for the comments
It must have taken great effort to have survived in that hard environment - good choice for the theme.
Thanks Carl, appreciate you taking the time to comment

That's a really original take on the theme - nice!
Thanks Emma, appreciate you taking the time to post

Personal - I can't believe I missed this one last time unteresting take on the theme.
Effort - I like the colours on the wall and agree they perfectly fit the theme
Thanks for your comments, appreciated.
Effort is brill, great use of DoF and good imagination
Thanks for the kind words Lee, they are appreciated

Last edited:
Back