LC2's Many Many (More) Fine Shoehorns in 2018 : Week 52 - Showcase [2018 Complete]

Week 23 : Synthetic

I / am / a product
a product freed from the market place I was supposed to fill.
Drop dead in a comic book.
I will never forget.
I had just a name and an ID.
My name is Annlee !
My name is Annlee !
Spell it however you want !
It doesn't matter. No it does not.

From Anywhere Out of the World, 2000 - PHILIPPE PARRENO
No Ghost Just A Shell

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 23 : Synthetic - Annlee
by Tim White, on Flickr

Shot in a Tank Room at the Tate Modern.
Exposed sufficiently to capture the neon whilst losing the metal tank walls (boost the exposure to see the metalwork if you like).

I love it as a piece of art on its own, but I did boost the exposure and now I would perhaps like to see more of the surroundings
there is a straight line and a few odd bits of light to the left of the face which looks like you haven't cloned something out properly in this version but I quite like the hidden riveted metalwork :thinking:

Hard - if you hadn't said it was HDR I'm not sure i would have guessed it was. Very tastefully done and not the normal over processed shots HDR seem to have turned into. The orange light is fine for me as it matches quite well with the orange ring around the wheel.

Synthetic - Interesting shot. Well exposed for the lights.

Ross

Last edited:
I love it as a piece of art on its own, but I did boost the exposure and now I would perhaps like to see more of the surroundings
there is a straight line and a few odd bits of light to the left of the face which looks like you haven't cloned something out properly in this version but I quite like the hidden riveted metalwork :thinking:
Nothing cloned out at all Allan, that is pretty much SooC (I think I toned the highlights down a little). I think the bits you are seeing are the fixings.
I thought the wall behind interesting, but not sufficiently interesting to bring it out, especially as Annlee herself is on a flat board rather than directly onto the original tank walls.
I did take a close up of the walls, which is on flickr, and also a shot of my Sammie posing in front of the walls.
Hard - if you hadn't said it was HDR I'm not sure i would have guessed it was. Very tastefully done and not the normal over processed shots HDR seem to have turned into. The orange light is fine for me as it matches quite well with the orange ring around the wheel.

Synthetic - Interesting shot. Well exposed for the lights.

Ross
The best HDRs are the ones where they've been taken to preserve the dynamic range, but where it is subtle enough that you don't realise. I felt I'd done it well enough there to point out it was HDR. Thanks for the vindication :)
Synthetic was deliberately taken to lose all the background. One of the nice things about the X-T2 (and I guess all other mirrorless) being you can see exactly what you are going to get while composing the shot.

Nothing cloned out at all Allan
Not what I meant Tim, as I see the picture on my screen it looks like somethings been cloned out, but on increasing the exposure I realised it was the perspex its mounted on and the fixings which I thought were quite interesting

Not what I meant Tim, as I see the picture on my screen it looks like somethings been cloned out, but on increasing the exposure I realised it was the perspex its mounted on and the fixings which I thought were quite interesting
Ah right. It would be interesting to see how it looks on your screen, as this one isn't calibrated (but I've always thought it quite bright).
I can see what you mean about the straight bit. I did notice that when I first looked on the laptop, but it was there, so I left it alone (would probably have made a mess editing it out).

Nice exposure .. love the way the light subtly illuminate the neon ends. :)

Hi Tim, a catch-up from me as I lost my way for a couple of weeks and am just getting up to date again.

I love your idea for Match. We have two black cats (brothers) and I had the same thought, but quickly dismissed it there's no way I could get them into the same image these days. I especially love the kitten as we had one years ago who looked just like that :)
Your image of the band is spot on for Musical and the cropped version really brings your eye straight into the scene. There's a nice range of expressions on their faces too.
Hard is great for the theme with lots of texture and colour, especially in the rust, broken paint and worn metal. The subtle HDR has worked well. Shallow DOF works well too, and I didn't really notice the BG lights until someone mentioned them.
Synthetic - what an unusual subject and very well captured (y) An interesting image and a good choice for this theme.

I've just realised that there is no image for Creatures?

Really interesting art work for synthetic, I tend to agree with Allan that a shade more of the surroundings might add a bit more context.

Nice exposure .. love the way the light subtly illuminate the neon ends. :)
Cheers David. I do like the way it's come out.
Hi Tim, a catch-up from me as I lost my way for a couple of weeks and am just getting up to date again.

I love your idea for Match. We have two black cats (brothers) and I had the same thought, but quickly dismissed it there's no way I could get them into the same image these days. I especially love the kitten as we had one years ago who looked just like that :)
Your image of the band is spot on for Musical and the cropped version really brings your eye straight into the scene. There's a nice range of expressions on their faces too.
Hard is great for the theme with lots of texture and colour, especially in the rust, broken paint and worn metal. The subtle HDR has worked well. Shallow DOF works well too, and I didn't really notice the BG lights until someone mentioned them.
Synthetic - what an unusual subject and very well captured (y) An interesting image and a good choice for this theme.

I've just realised that there is no image for Creatures?
The HDR really isn't obvious, is it. and that was with +3/0/-3 !
There is almost always something interesting in the Tate Modern - which was where Synthetic was taken. Gutted we're moving offices to about 2 miles away, so I can't just pop in during my lunch.
Creature... Well... ;)
Really interesting art work for synthetic, I tend to agree with Allan that a shade more of the surroundings might add a bit more context.
Whilst the metalwork is kinda interesting, the perspex that Annlee is set on really isn't, and that's what would be seen first.
Like it Tim, It's a great choice for the theme. I am wondering what it would be like with the rhs having a bit more detail.
Not quite sure what you're seeing. It all looks in sufficient focus to me.

Week 24 - Rural

I tried a few B&W edits of this image, but decided that keeping the colour gave it a more rural feel, as the trees and other assorted green doesn't disappear into the background.
I'm using the steam from the stopcocks to obscure the slightly (but not much) more modern shunter in the cattle dock.
The station itself has that deserted rural station feel. (And to be fair it is a rural station).

The loco in shot will be out of ticket in September, I'm pleased I've got this shot in now.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 24 : Rural
by Tim White, on Flickr

I love the picture but the shoehorn made by mentioning Rural in the above description, meh. But again, good picture, evocative, nostalgic and lovely perspective.

I love the picture but the shoehorn made by mentioning Rural in the above description, meh. But again, good picture, evocative, nostalgic and lovely perspective.
No love of the shoe hornery? I guess I've been far too on topic so far this year.
To be fair though, Alresford is a rural station, it's not that much of a shoe horn.

Nice train shot it might or might not be rural :cautious:, who am I to say
"out of ticket" interesting expression, never heard that before then again I don't hang around railways, do you all still collect numbers? :naughty:

... looks Rural to me! Well, it's not Kings X Stn. :D

Love the POV and all that smoke/steam (y)

Tim

Hard, lots of good texture and colours in the main subject. Dof works well.

Synthectic, can't argue with the theme, very different and I think exposed well.

Rural, Another nice train Image in a rural ish setting with lots of steam around. Good placement of the loco moving into the picture.

Pete

Classic loco photo and nice shoe horn (y)
Shoe horn? What shoe horn? :)
Lovely shot of the loco Tim, nice perspective and on theme for me.
Cheers Michael. I think this was the best angle. Not one that can be commonly taken either.
Nice train shot it might or might not be rural :cautious:, who am I to say
"out of ticket" interesting expression, never heard that before then again I don't hang around railways, do you all still collect numbers? :naughty:
Well, BR thought it was sufficiently rural and un-used that they closed it in 1973. Out of ticket refers to the boiler ticket or safety certificate. They are re-certified every year, but after (usually) 10 years they have to be overhauled before a new ticket will be issued. Numbers... heh, no, but oddly I could probably tell you most of the numbers of the ketttles on the Mid Hants, having typed them into the flickr descriptions often enough. There is one I would have to look-up though as it's little more than a boiler and frames in the headshunt, out of sight and thus not often photographed.
... looks Rural to me! Well, it's not Kings X Stn. :D

Love the POV and all that smoke/steam (y)
Cheers David. It is a typical British Railways rural station from the days when they almost all had at least 1 goods siding.
Tim

Hard, lots of good texture and colours in the main subject. Dof works well.

Synthectic, can't argue with the theme, very different and I think exposed well.

Rural, Another nice train Image in a rural ish setting with lots of steam around. Good placement of the loco moving into the picture.

Pete
Cheers Pete. I am pretty pleased with Synthetic :) The loco isn't actually moving, the crew had the blower on and were clearing the cylinders of condensed steam/water prior to the off.
A lovely rural station setting with an added bonus of the steam train.
Cheers Stan. It's funny what angles can do. From here the station looks deserted and sleepy. taken from the other side you'd see how crowded the station was with WW1/2 re-enactors as there was a war themed event going on.

Synthetic
Good idea, I think a small crop on the left for me would improve the composition, it would just move it away from centre.

Rural
Not a shoehorn for me, it's a good loco shot and it looks good in colour.

Synthetic
Good idea, I think a small crop on the left for me would improve the composition, it would just move it away from centre.

Rural
Not a shoehorn for me, it's a good loco shot and it looks good in colour.
Just tried the crop and I'm in two minds. it works boths ways for me. :)
Agreed, rural isn't a shoehorn at all, railways are bang on theme ;)
Rural train station is a good and rather clever take for the theme, good that the steam is just covering the train on the right. A good clean shot and as said clever and on theme.
I was careful to select the image with the most steam obscuring the shunter, as I would have rather it wasn't there, but it was so not a lot I could do about it.

Week 25 - Bright

I'm impressed at the amount of noise I managed to induce at 100ISO in this shot, but then it was massively underexposed in order to retain pretty much anything while shooting for the starburst.
I'm guessing some of the flare is dust on the lens?

Anyway. Composed to put the sun on the right hand third, and the loco roughly near the bottom third, with diagonal leading lines in from the bottom right.
I've not increased the exposure any further (so it is a bit underexposed) due to 1. Noise and 2. I quite like the contrasting effect.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 25 : Bright
by Tim White, on Flickr

I really like how the sun looks but the rest of the image being underexposed draws my eye away from it. I like how you've composed it too.

I see what you were trying to do but not sure it works for all the reasons you have mentioned, might have been worth blending a couple of pics together you know sort of HDR but not quite if you see what I mean

Bright
I like the sun and the train, but the colours looks a bit dull.

I really like how the sun looks but the rest of the image being underexposed draws my eye away from it. I like how you've composed it too.
I do see what you mean.
I see what you were trying to do but not sure it works for all the reasons you have mentioned, might have been worth blending a couple of pics together you know sort of HDR but not quite if you see what I mean
Oddly, I was thinking exactly the same when editing it. i.e. I wonder what I could have managed if I'd bracketed the shots.
The 80D only does 3 images, and I was without tripod, so a bit limited, but next time I'm there (a couple of weeks), if the weather holds up I might try it again and see what can be achieved.
Bright
I like the sun and the train, but the colours looks a bit dull.
The effect of being under exposed I guess.

I like this as an image but not the exposure. The fact that most of the image is underexposed detracts from the sun star. For me the lack of colour in the train and stuff makes the image a bit dull. I can't help but wonder, if you increase the exposure at the bottom of the image, and convert to black and white, the noise may not be so noticeable? (I might be completely wrong, in which case ignore everything I have said ;))

I like the idea there Tim, a nice sun burst. Did you do a b+w version of it? Kind of reminds me of an older railway image.
I did try a B&W, didn't like it, binned it.
Love the composition. You've done an excellent done to balance the dynamic range and I don't think you can do anymore to the image.
Indeed Stan, I think it's processed as far as it will go. Possible re-shoot material.
I like this as an image but not the exposure. The fact that most of the image is underexposed detracts from the sun star. For me the lack of colour in the train and stuff makes the image a bit dull. I can't help but wonder, if you increase the exposure at the bottom of the image, and convert to black and white, the noise may not be so noticeable? (I might be completely wrong, in which case ignore everything I have said ;))
Well, the Loco itself is in BR black, so not much colour to pull out of it ;) But it is underexposed. As per conversation with Allan, perhaps using HDR would have worked. Maybe next time.
B&W didn't work for me, but feel free to have a go and post what you can get out of it :)

Elegant will have to wait until after the weekend. Let's hope today's theme is Le Mans Classic friendly !!!

Elegant - Ah man. I want to buy a Chevvy Monza now. Super elegant Lola though. Love the contrast between the 2 cars. Shame about all of the vans and lorries in the background but theres not much anyone could do about that. A letterbox crop I think would work in my eyes, to crop out the to with all the trucks, even though it would be quite close to the top of the Monza.

Derelict - Doesn't need to be falling down to be derelict. It looks suitably neglected to me. Nice flakey detail in the paint and i like the reoccurring pattern too.

What an odd combination of cars for elegant they don’t looked matched at all but I no nothing of cars or motor racing

Derelict, certainly seen better days the red white and blue work well together

Back