LC's 52 Shoehorns for 2016 : Week 52 - Celebration

Nice colour contrast between the green in the background and the rusty whatever-that-is in the foreground, bong on theme.

Good subjects for the theme, well captiured. The ribbing suggests heat exchange so I would guess boiler parts but I can't quite see how.

I must have looked quite a sight, lying on my back in the middle of the track balancing a 500mm lens on my belly to get it though :)

I bet you did. :thinking: I think I meant to say ... what a clever take. (damned spellcheckers).

Didn't know you were into heavy metal Tim - way to go. Like the colour and texture ... but even more the visual of you taking the shot. :clap:

good colours like a bit of rust but I agree with Andy a bit closer just to get more of the rust texture

Nice colour contrast between the green in the background and the rusty whatever-that-is in the foreground, bong on theme.

Good subjects for the theme, well captiured. The ribbing suggests heat exchange so I would guess boiler parts but I can't quite see how.
Soooo close Chris.

Rough indeed. Nice textures, colours...I might like it cclloooeerrrrr :)

Cheers.

Lovely rough old metal thingies. :D

what d00d said :) :agree:

No idea what they are but I like the contrast of colours in the shot.

Didn't know you were into heavy metal Tim - way to go. Like the colour and texture ... but even more the visual of you taking the shot. :clap:

good colours like a bit of rust but I agree with Andy a bit closer just to get more of the rust texture

They are replacement fire grates (what I'm not sure is whether they are rocking grates or not).
When preparing an engine from cold the fireman would have to clean these, in situ, in order to ensure a decent flow of air across the fire.
That means climbing into the firebox with a brush, cold chisel, lump hammer etc and bashing away at the ash and clinker

It was a deliberate choice to not go in too close with the shot as I wanted to contrast the green of the shed walls against the orange of the rust.

Thanks for all the comments :)

Tech - Interesting big of old tech. :) Always good to see something different!

Horizontal - Really good one for the theme, with a very appropriate word in it. :)

Vast - Love that shot! Really conveys the theme well, and I really like the miniature look and shallow dof.

Rough - Interesting object? No idea what that is, but it’s got nice textures and goes with the background. :)

Rough - interesting object was exactly what I was going to say before @Winter stole my line ;)

Good contrasting background colour (again, she's nicking all my best ideas... or am I copying her?)

Maybe slightly different light would bring out more of the texture, but still well spotted and captured...

Rough - interesting object was exactly what I was going to say before @Winter stole my line ;)

Good contrasting background colour (again, she's nicking all my best ideas... or am I copying her?)

Maybe slightly different light would bring out more of the texture, but still well spotted and captured...
Haha..... I didn't steal it if I posted it first... :whistle:

Wonderful colours in that rust :)
Thanks Emma. I liked it.

Hi Tim :)

Vast - Love this, feel it is a tad central and would look good with the top off a chunk, but love the idea and the depth of field, nice one (y)
Perhaps yes, but then the DoF would have been unequal - Maybe I should have moved the focus point around when I took it (but can't go back now).

Hi Tim

Really like Vast very well thought out love the DOF
Cheers. We took a selection of toy cars to do this shot, this one seemed best / most appropriate.

Tim, I must admit I like the technology but vast really good idea
Thanks Chris. Vast was thought out and planned, whereas whilst I had decided to try for the shot in technology before going, I didn't know if there was going to be anything in the right place, or with any light, until I got there.

Tech - Interesting big of old tech. :) Always good to see something different!

Horizontal - Really good one for the theme, with a very appropriate word in it. :)

Vast - Love that shot! Really conveys the theme well, and I really like the miniature look and shallow dof.

Rough - Interesting object? No idea what that is, but it’s got nice textures and goes with the background. :)
Thanks Sheylara, 3 out of 4 being railway shoehorns too, to keep up my percentages :)
The rough pieces of metal are the bottom grates in a firebox (think the grate in an open fire, but much much larger).

Ta Paul. Not sure I'd manage to get much more contrasty light, they were on some racking with quite a bit of tree coverage surrounding them.
@Winter is obviously hiding in your head (or are you in hers - we need to be told!)

Week 19 - Colourful

Well, I'm going to publish and be damned this week.
The visit to get these shots has cost me a new sump (maybe it qualifies for *colourful* language ;) )

Anyway, these Historic Stock Cars are painted in colourful liveries.
Neither of the shots are technically great (my WEC shots in the motorsport forum are far better), but I feel they give the impression of speed and not too terrible considering I was using my old 1100D with a 18-200 Tamron superzoom.

This one id my favourite of the two I'm posting as it is more colourful and was around 10' away from us

Spedeworth Aldershot - Historic Stock Cars
by Tim White, on Flickr

Technically this shot is better, there is space around the car and the panning action was a fair bit better (though still not great).

Spedeworth Aldershot - Historic Stock Cars
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hi Tim 2 great images for Colourful.

I think No1 is slightly better as its a bit more colourful.

Great panning action in both

Nice panning but my only criticism is the first one is very tight in the frame and the second one is leaving the frame if that makes sense

Great panning! I prefer #2, I think it has the more interesting point of view and the better composition.

Wot no trains? :D

Nice panning, Tim #1 is a tad tight in the frame, but tbh, I don't think it matters, there is plenty of colour in there.

Hi Tim. Sad news about the sump - hope you get sorted soon. I prefer #2 compositionally and the panning action is better imo. I like the colours in that one better too. :clap:

Hi Tim 2 great images for Colourful.

I think No1 is slightly better as its a bit more colourful.

Great panning action in both
Ta Mark. It was really odd to see cars that most people would be restoring as classics used as stock cars. Mind you, when I used to crew a mate banger racing in the 80s you would now cry at the cars that were trashed.

Nice panning but my only criticism is the first one is very tight in the frame and the second one is leaving the frame if that makes sense
I agree with both comments. The first shot hasn't been cropped at all, I should have been a bit wider for the first shot really (bt we really weren't far from the edge of the track).
There is a post to the right of the car in teh second shot. I could have cropped tighter, but decided not too. I was told off in 'motorsport' for suggesting an earlier shot of mine at the WEC wasn't right because I'd placed the subject on the exit side of the frame.

Great panning! I prefer #2, I think it has the more interesting point of view and the better composition.
Cheers bernd. Neither of the pans are spot on really, but I agree the second is the better of the two.

Wot no trains? :D

Nice panning, Tim #1 is a tad tight in the frame, but tbh, I don't think it matters, there is plenty of colour in there.
Ta boss. I thought I'd post something other than trains this week. And anyway, after this shoot costing me a new sump, I'll be damned if I don't find something to post ;)

Hi Tim. Sad news about the sump - hope you get sorted soon. I prefer #2 compositionally and the panning action is better imo. I like the colours in that one better too. :clap:
Ta Carl. It's not a big job really, and shouldn't be too expensive (I've holed the sump on this car previously, so know what's involved).
I'm not convinced that the colours are better in #2. They are a little brighter, but less of a range of colour.

I'll be damned if I don't find something to post ;)
Thats the spirit (y)

(I hope the new sump is not too expensive )

Reactions: LC2
It's #2 for me! A more pleasing image, liking the pov and the colour.

Nice panning, I agree with David, for me #2 is the more pleasing image

Hi Tim. On a bit of a mission to get up to date. I like Technology, it's so clean and precise looking you could almost mistake it for being modern. Love your simple and elegant shot for Horizontal and vast is cute, and does make the track look huge. Of your colourful car shots, I prefer number one despite the close crop. Well done, keep it up.

Thats the spirit (y)

(I hope the new sump is not too expensive )
It wasn't *too* expensive.

Sorry about your car Tim :(
it's #1 for me I like the close crop and all the movement, plenty of assorted colours there too.
Ta Susie. I prefer #1 too. More colours and it doesn't have the distracting blurred white shirt & hat in the background.

It's #2 for me! A more pleasing image, liking the pov and the colour.

Nice panning, I agree with David, for me #2 is the more pleasing image
@d00d, @chris. Panning is better in #2 is better, but the person I caught in the background takes the edge off it for me (I did have a quick go at healing him away, but it ended up a bodge job).

Hi Tim, no1 for me. The colours in the top part of the frame add extra to me

Chris
Ta Chris, ditto.

Hi Tim. On a bit of a mission to get up to date. I like Technology, it's so clean and precise looking you could almost mistake it for being modern. Love your simple and elegant shot for Horizontal and vast is cute, and does make the track look huge. Of your colourful car shots, I prefer number one despite the close crop. Well done, keep it up.
Thanks Nick.

Week 18 - Covered

A couple from the 3rd day of the England / Sri Lanka test at Headingley.
This was from the early lunch when rain stopped play for nearly 3 hours. (We still won the test though (by an innings and 88 runs)).

I prefer this shot, which was actually the covers being removed.

Headingley (YCCC) Egland vs Sri Lanka
by Tim White, on Flickr

Although this one of the covers in place is strictly speaking more on theme.

Headingley (YCCC) Egland vs Sri Lanka
by Tim White, on Flickr

Don't zoom in too far. These were taken with an old 18-200 on an 1100D, so not the sharpest shots I've ever taken (but something I wasn't going to be too worried about *if* security said I had to leave it at the gates).

Spot on for the theme Tim (y), #1 for me too for the same reasons

Number one for me too, not the most exciting image though, can't believe there isn't a train anywhere to be seen

Tend to agree with you Tim, no1, I like the action in the photo

Spot on for the theme Tim (y), #1 for me too for the same reasons

Number one for me too, not the most exciting image though, can't believe there isn't a train anywhere to be seen
#1 is the better I believe too, as it has at least something happening, but I agree Allan, not all that...
Mind you, I don't think we saw a single COVER drive all day from the Sri Lankans in their 119 all out.

No rail photos since week 17 Allan, I will have to do something about that ;)

Yep I agree with number one, the guys pushing it add a sense of meaning :)

I was sure I had commented on your colourful shots too.... The first one for me, I feel the coloured splash across the top help the theme more, and I really like the movement captured in it compared to the second shot (y)

Back