LC's 52 Shoehorns for 2016 : Week 52 - Celebration

Living world - I think I prefer the second image the first seems a bit to cluttered for me.

Spiky - Two good images for the theme, I much prefer the bright colours of the second image.

Artificial - I love this processing suits the image very well.

Personal - A good attempt at the theme, but I find the laptop looks a bit floaty and a bit over saturated.

Effort - I like both images, but the second just has the edge as i can see the connection to the theme better.

... nothing wrong with a good train pic.

but wouldn't mind seeing more "engine" detail, those vents at the front, logo on the side.

Your youngest is doing a fine job.

(y)

Artificial - I’m loving the flying pig over the power station, lol.

Personal - I like all the lit colours agains the dark but I’m not sure why there’s so much negative space. I would have liked to see both subjects fill the frame more.

Effort - Second one for me. I like the human interest element and the angle at which you took the picture.

Of the 2 I think No 2 shows more Effort but I do like No1 I like the leading lines in No1

Ps will you being seeing the Scotsman I managed to get tickets to go on it and the Tornado in September when it comes to the Severn Valley :)

Thanks everyone. Not had a chance to catch up with with tech or horizontal yet (a fair bit of O/T at work and my car being out of action).

Hi Tim. Nothing wrong with the shunter but I like the mining truck best for interest and the more obvious link to the theme. Must have been quite a feat to push one of those fully laden. :clap:
Especially when you see some of the slopes in the mine itself.
It's funny, my plan was to get 'tractive effort' but the mine truck shot presented itself

Top Trumps? you haven'r given us the tractive effort of your youngest :)

Second for me too, conveys more of a sense of effort
I LP I think (lad power).

Nice effort from your son. Just a shame the cable runs right across his body.
It was removable in PP, but it was there as part of the railway so I thought worthy of being left in.

Personal - I just love the fact you managed to get an engine into that shot...it makes it all the more personal! I like the second shot best here too in terms of the theme.
The second shot does seem to be everyone's favourite. It is quite amusing that I got the loco from shot 1 in shot 2 too.

Two interesting images Tim, but my favourite for the theme is the second one. I think there's added interest with him heading towards the camera, and the low viewpoint and logs in the foreground all add to the impact. Good idea (y)
It was a bit too damp & muddy to lie on the ground, but I got as low as my old bones would let me to get the shot.

Living world - I think I prefer the second image the first seems a bit to cluttered for me.

Spiky - Two good images for the theme, I much prefer the bright colours of the second image.

Artificial - I love this processing suits the image very well.

Personal - A good attempt at the theme, but I find the laptop looks a bit floaty and a bit over saturated.

Effort - I like both images, but the second just has the edge as i can see the connection to the theme better.
Thanks Mandy.
Spiky - It's interesting that you went for the brighter shot. The spire did seem to get a lot of love, but I preferred the bright colours of the second shot too really.
Artificial was quite fun creating (esp the second version with the piggy)

Hi Tim, that second shot is great. Good story telling and aside from a very slight shadows lift, it works perfectly for me. Well done!
It's already had them lifted a bit (and the black points darkened). It is a canon though, not a nykon ;)

... nothing wrong with a good train pic.

but wouldn't mind seeing more "engine" detail, those vents at the front, logo on the side.

Your youngest is doing a fine job.

(y)
I was too busy chuckling at the thought of the shunter having a tender to go for any tight shots. I also wanted the track to add some leading lines.

Artificial - I’m loving the flying pig over the power station, lol.

Personal - I like all the lit colours agains the dark but I’m not sure why there’s so much negative space. I would have liked to see both subjects fill the frame more.

Effort - Second one for me. I like the human interest element and the angle at which you took the picture.
It was a deliberate choice to keep all the negative space. I did try a couple of crops but preferred the one I posted, feel free to have a play yourself though to see if you can get a better crop.

Of the 2 I think No 2 shows more Effort but I do like No1 I like the leading lines in No1

Ps will you being seeing the Scotsman I managed to get tickets to go on it and the Tornado in September when it comes to the Severn Valley :)
If they run 103 through Clapham I'll probably make the effort to watch it, but it's attracting far too large crowds at the moment so I'll probably wait until the NRM let us have it down at the MHR.

Hi Tim. Nice bit of machinery. Maybe it's the grease & oil or the outsize nuts and bolts but machinery has always fascinated me. I'd maybe crop out the bright light on the rhs as it's a little distracting but like the lighting and detail in the fg.

That's my kind of train pic something showing some detail, old technology is much more fascinating visually

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the explanation, wouldn't have had an idea of what it was otherwise :) It's nice to see some close up details of these trains.

I like the shot and the lighting but the left hand side looks just a little dark on my monitor (could just be this monitor though)

Love that, perfect DoF, nice silky metal, good light and shadow. Good stuff.

Thanks chaps.
The range from lost shadows to blown highlights was deliberate (I could have cropped the light and the I actually darkened the shadows).
The aim was to get the focus point lit properly and have what was basically a gradient from dark to light across it.
I think it works, even viewed at 1:1 despite iso 12800...

Last edited:
Hi Tim, that's a good shot and you've captured some good detail but also used DOF well. Personally, I'd like a shadows lift so that I can see more of the detail in the darks - getting a wide dynamic range is good (and you've done that) but you could still keep the same black point yet increase the shadow detail just enough to make out what's there with a bit of effort on the viewer's part. I think the gradient's a good idea - just a tiny tweak to how much darkening you applied?

Hello Tim, Technology, good information on the part photographed, Nice and sharp and good DoF.

Hi Tim, that's a good shot and you've captured some good detail but also used DOF well. Personally, I'd like a shadows lift so that I can see more of the detail in the darks - getting a wide dynamic range is good (and you've done that) but you could still keep the same black point yet increase the shadow detail just enough to make out what's there with a bit of effort on the viewer's part. I think the gradient's a good idea - just a tiny tweak to how much darkening you applied?
Artistic choice ;)

I like this one a lot Tim ....a very effective shot, perfect for Technology and really nicely done :clap:
Thany you :)

Hello Tim, Technology, good information on the part photographed, Nice and sharp and good DoF.
Ta

Fits the theme for me perfectly Tim
Cheers

Serious bit of choo choo train. :D
I do my best not to disappoint ;)

Very good Tim, don't they usually have an arm on the other side indicating a gradient?

LOL brilliant Tim :D

It's a Level Crossing ... train related, on theme too. (y)

Very good Tim, don't they usually have an arm on the other side indicating a gradient?
Spot on :). This one was on the wall in the museum at Sheffield PArk.

Hahahaaaa that is excellent Tim :D

My OCD would want to clone out the shadow bracket and try and even the lighting with a PP'd grad.... but subject is superb, love it for the theme (y)
I was happy yo leave the bracket's shadow as the bracket is in plain view.
There already is graduated PP applied to lighten up the image, the room was quite dim and I didn't have any lighting of my own. It was quite a bit worse than it is now :)

Very nicely done Tim fits the theme perfectly
Ta

Clever take on the theme, well seen and taken.
Ta

LOL brilliant Tim :D
Ta

It's a Level Crossing ... train related, on theme too. (y)
Not quite, it's actually one of the signs at the trackside that indicate the gradient of the line. Trains are very suseptable to gradient chanegs so this info is (was) vital to the driver.

Week 16 : Vast

Showing quite how vast Silverstone really is in real life :)

TP 52 for 2016 - Week 16 : Vast
by Tim White, on Flickr

Shot on the abandoned Farm Straight / Bridge section of the track, the race car is actually pointing in the wrong direction as you would expect to approach Bridge from the Farm Straight rather than have the Bridge behind you.

Last edited:
Ha ha - Horizontal in words and vision - very clever choice of subject Tim, like it. Excellent detail and DoF for Vast - well composed and taken. That elevated bit of road surface looks enormous from this angle !

Horizontal - Guessed it was train related ;) but not exactly what it was, very good for the theme.

Vast - really like this. Lovely shallow DOF and focus is spot on. I also like the way the red/white matches on the car and track markings. How did you get access to Silverstone for this shot?

Two excellent shots, Tim. Level is a great idea and a perfect fit for that theme in more than one way, and stands out well with the strong black and white tones and close crop. Vast is an unusual and effective idea to show the expanse of track around the little car (would have been a great fit for Miniature too!). Excellent DOF, and, as noted above, it's a great touch to have the colours of the car and the track match too.

Ha ha - Horizontal in words and vision - very clever choice of subject Tim, like it. Excellent detail and DoF for Vast - well composed and taken. That elevated bit of road surface looks enormous from this angle !
Cheers Carl. It was a little bit of luck remembering there was one in the museum at Sheffield Park, otherwise it would have had to have been taken from a moving train, which I don't think would have worked anywhere near as well.

Horizontal - Guessed it was train related ;) but not exactly what it was, very good for the theme.

Vast - really like this. Lovely shallow DOF and focus is spot on. I also like the way the red/white matches on the car and track markings. How did you get access to Silverstone for this shot?
I was at round 1 of the WEC last weekend, which was held at Silverstone. The old Abbey/Farm/Bridge/Priory section was decommisioned when the re-modelled the circuit a few years ago. The Farm straight, Bridge corner and most of the straight to Priory is now publically available.

Two excellent shots, Tim. Level is a great idea and a perfect fit for that theme in more than one way, and stands out well with the strong black and white tones and close crop. Vast is an unusual and effective idea to show the expanse of track around the little car (would have been a great fit for Miniature too!). Excellent DOF, and, as noted above, it's a great touch to have the colours of the car and the track match too.
The colours of the car and track were a fortunate co-incidence, my son picked a few cars from home (I was planning to take this shot) and the Ferrari F1 was the most appealing of the 3 different sets I took (probably because of the complimentary colours).

Two excellent choices there Tim ....I love the 'level' for Horizontal ...a very original find for the theme, and Vast certainly fits the topic well....nice DOF.
Cheers Susie I thought the Horizontal image turned out well. The DoF came out suprisingly shallow considering it was taken at f/10.0, but I guess that's the result of using a 500mm lens from only a few yards away.

Hi Tim, level is a clever shot - well done on thinking that one up! Well taken and would make a good stock image :)

Vast is super, except for the fact it's too central for me! I think a simple crop would strengthen it even further and make it absolutely stonking (y)

Wonderfully original horizontal and vast shots :clap:
Thanks Liz

Those are great Tim - so original! Horizontal made me lol :)
Glad I made you chuckle. I do try to be slightly original in most of my shoe horns ;)

Hi Tim, level is a clever shot - well done on thinking that one up! Well taken and would make a good stock image :)

Vast is super, except for the fact it's too central for me! I think a simple crop would strengthen it even further and make it absolutely stonking (y)
I suspect that there would be some kind of restriction on putting shots taken at the Bluebell onto a stock site for comercial use. I do quite like the shot though.
I guess I could have cropped Vast a little, moving the car to the left, but not sure if it would lose the effect.

Vast works ... what a clear take. (y)
I must have looked quite a sight, lying on my back in the middle of the track balancing a 500mm lens on my belly to get it though :)

I'm not 100% certain I know what these are, but I'm fairly sure.
I'm betting they are "Railway" related :D

Answer on the back of a Edmondson please
I don't even know what that is :p

Nicely taken Tim, fits the theme :)

Back