LC's 52 Shoehorns for 2016 : Week 52 - Celebration

I think you are spot with your thoughts, the colour train pic is excellent really like the processing, best train pic you have posted

I have a thing about re enactment events and lego pics, I don't like them so the first one for me as it doesn't say re enactment

Hi Tim. Excellent shot, good composition and very atmospheric with the steam ... my preference is the b&w version but both good. I like the triptych too, particularly the middle one with the guy leaning out the window.

Great finish Tim, colour one for me too (y)
And quite frankly I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't managed to shoe horn in a locomotive :D

I think you are spot with your thoughts, the colour train pic is excellent really like the processing, best train pic you have posted

I have a thing about re enactment events and lego pics, I don't like them so the first one for me as it doesn't say re enactment
The shot is pretty close to SooC. A little straightening, and I brought up the whites a little, but the biggest bit of procesing was NR as it was at iso 12800 on a crop sensor.
I took a few low iso, long exposure shots, but the yard lights blew out the steam, I think the higher iso shots were the ones that worked.

Hi Tim. Excellent shot, good composition and very atmospheric with the steam ... my preference is the b&w version but both good. I like the triptych too, particularly the middle one with the guy leaning out the window.
The original plan for the day was to spend most of the time getting shots of the re enactors both on the platforms and on the trains, but stuff got in the way and I only got a few.

Great finish Tim, colour one for me too (y)
And quite frankly I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't managed to shoe horn in a locomotive :D
The colours, especially the blues, are good aren't they. I'm happy with the way the shot turned out. Well worth waiting around in the dark at 2'c for the locos to return after the last trains of the day. The yards lights didn't get turned on until after the first loco was back and nearly completed disposal.

The green and red of the locos is ideal for the season and it is a very good photo but I do like the idea of the triptych and wonder if it would work with images 1 and 3 swapped? Good finish Tim

I love the 'Celebration of Steam', great colours, very sharp and well composed.

The green and red of the locos is ideal for the season and it is a very good photo but I do like the idea of the triptych and wonder if it would work with images 1 and 3 swapped? Good finish Tim
I hadn't even considered the festive red/green combination, I was more concerned about getting the exposure about right under tehyard lights.
As for teh triptych, if I'd managed to get more people shots during the day, the loco may not have got a look in, which on balance would have beena a shame.

Two great images to round up the year. Both are excellent and each has its own merit.
Cheers Stan. I think the colour one, for me at least, is the winner.

I love the 'Celebration of Steam', great colours, very sharp and well composed.
Thanks Brrnd.

Love that one Tim, a real smasher to finish on, hope you're in again for next year :)
Don't worry about that Susie, you'll have to suffer more loco shots next year too ;)

It had to be a train to finish Tim! I like the montage very much, giving an insight into the day, but there is something very special about that colour picture - really atmospheric and beautifully composed.
Congratulations on finishing the 52! :)

Week 52 : Celebration

After spending 15 minutes editing, composing #2 below, I decided that actually I preferred the colour image, so for my final shoe-horn of 2016, I give you

A Celebration of Steam

British Railways Standard 4 - 76017
by Tim White, on Flickr

This was the one I spent time creating...
Celebrating returning home from "The War" for Christmas - A Triptych of images from The Mid Hants Railway's "Christmas Leave" event which is run annually 26-27 December.

Christmas Leave
by Tim White, on Flickr

I hope to see you all here in 2017
Happy Christmas & New Year.
Its always a Celebration to see a steam train. I have a book called a Romance of Steam by Chris Woods, have you heard of this artist. This book contains over 30 pages in colour of the paintings he did, he did them all in oils. As you have such a passion for steam trains if you would like it I would like to give it to you, maybe you could pay for the postage but otherwise it would be a gift. My best friend is his wife and I saw him painting one of the trains when I first met them not realising now how very special that moment would be as he died very suddenly in 2009.

That's very kind of you @Shirleyr , but I couldn't, not least because you knew the chap and he has passed on so the book must have some sentimental value to you.
I will look out for it though, in the bookshops you find on the railway platforms

Nowt wrong with a shoehorn now and again.

Wonderful machine.

See you in 2017.

Cheers.
"Now and Again" eh? More like "Again and Again" :)
You will indeed see me in 2017

It had to be a train to finish Tim! I like the montage very much, giving an insight into the day, but there is something very special about that colour picture - really atmospheric and beautifully composed.
Congratulations on finishing the 52! :)
Thanks Emma. The colour one works best imo too. I'm getting to quite like the evening shots. Gawd knows what I'll do in the summer (though the earliest we finish on the Saturday night trips is 11:30, so it is dark... But then I have 60-75 minutes drive home, so hanging about isn't normally my plan).

'Celebration of Steam' is a very evocative shot. Takes me back to the smell of coal, oil and steam that I recall from my first ever train journey from Crewe to Chester whan I was about 4 years old in 1960.

Very nice way to finish to your 52 Tim lovely celebration of Steam I love the colour image.

Back