Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

I don't know, never actually got on it.
A bit of googling suggests 1907 but like a lot of vintage transport its a bit like "Triggers Broom".

Hi all, a quick phone shot of deltic 55013 the black watch at York this morning. I’m still to go through the camera shots but will try and upload a decent shot over the next few days.
I’m hoping maybe someone could help, I always thought the deltic were named after famous race horses not Scottish regiments, plus for some reason this loco isn’t in my 2021 locomotives spotting book? Alycidon plus others are but not this one, has this loco only recently been brought back to the mainline and I need this years book or am I missing something?
Many thanks for any help.

Attachments

• ECFA34D1-7FB1-4905-AF02-CAF793CC1433.jpeg
    ECFA34D1-7FB1-4905-AF02-CAF793CC1433.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 9
Not stating the location as it's not very well know and I'd like to keep it that way ;)
Easy enough to work out if you know Dawlish. There's even a few spotters standing there on the Google Street View.

Hi all, a quick phone shot of deltic 55013 the black watch at York this morning. I’m still to go through the camera shots but will try and upload a decent shot over the next few days.
I’m hoping maybe someone could help, I always thought the deltic were named after famous race horses not Scottish regiments, plus for some reason this loco isn’t in my 2021 locomotives spotting book? Alycidon plus others are but not this one, has this loco only recently been brought back to the mainline and I need this years book or am I missing something?
.... You may find some answers on the Deltic Preservation Society's website :

WHAT A BEAUTY!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

The Deltics were allocated to three depots, Finsbury Park in London, Gateshead and Edinburgh Haymarket. The Finsbury Park allocated ones were named after famous racehorses, the Gateshead and Haymarket ones were named after regiments.

The loco on the railtour was 55009 Alycidon masquerading as 55013 The Black Watch (which met the cutters torch in 1982) .. something to do with a former Deltic driver from York celebrating his 100th birthday. According to reports on Facebook the loco suffered a failure on the return part of the railtour.

Controversial opinion incoming, Voyagers are one of my favourite modern units.

Not stating the location as it's not very well know and I'd like to keep it that way ;)

Dawlish Voyager by Adam P, on Flickr

Seen many shots of Dawlish seawall.... very popular spot for railway photographers!!!!

Here's another from Dawlish, a Crosscountry HST in it's final few weeks of operation.

The sun had gone behind a cloud when the photo of the HST was taken so this is actually two photos merged, one for the train and one of the background a few minutes later when the sun came back out.

I think I've managed to process the train part of the image so the lighting matches the background well enough....

Crosscountry HST - Dawlish by Adam P, on Flickr

The Deltics were allocated to three depots, Finsbury Park in London, Gateshead and Edinburgh Haymarket. The Finsbury Park allocated ones were named after famous racehorses, the Gateshead and Haymarket ones were named after regiments.

The loco on the railtour was 55009 Alycidon masquerading as 55013 The Black Watch (which met the cutters torch in 1982) .. something to do with a former Deltic driver from York celebrating his 100th birthday. According to reports on Facebook the loco suffered a failure on the return part of the railtour.
Thank you for the reply. That’s really interesting, I’m going to look into that some more.
Such a shame about the issue on the return leg, I hope they manage to sort it out though.

Thank you for the reply. That’s really interesting, I’m going to look into that some more.
Such a shame about the issue on the return leg, I hope they manage to sort it out though.
The same loco suffered a major failure on a railtour in 2019 with all 6 traction motors suffering flashover damage.... This was only it's second railtour since returning to main-line after the repairs.

It suffered an electrical issue yesterday but they did manage to get her running again on both engines.

The same loco suffered a major failure on a railtour in 2019 with all 6 traction motors suffering flashover damage.... This was only it's second railtour since returning to main-line after the repairs.

It suffered an electrical issue yesterday but they did manage to get her running again on both engines.
Yes It was only the other day I was reading about the previous issues the loco had experienced. I’m glad they are able to still keep them running though, those engines make such a wonderful sound.

A Crosscountry Voyager.

221134 by Adam P, on Flickr
.... That's a great photo of a Voyager. They do not seem to be popular among railway enthusiasts but I don't know why and I don't agree. They are not my absolute favourite, but.

.... That's a great photo of a Voyager. They do not seem to be popular among railway enthusiasts but I don't know why and I don't agree. They are not my absolute favourite, but.

I think the dislike towards them is more of a bandwagon thing, than anything actually being wrong with them.

Yes, the could do with all being 5 car minimum but the blame for that lies with the DFT / Virgin / whoever ordered them as 4 cars rather than anything being wrong with the train it's self, but that all happened 20+ years ago now.

Excellent news. Are you taking up the offer?
.... Does a Bear poo in the woods? Is The Pope Catholic? etc. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It would be rude not to and I have never been there yet but always wanted to - I'm on the south coast so a distance away. Swanage Railway is my local.

.... Does a Bear poo in the woods? Is The Pope Catholic? etc. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It would be rude not to and I have never been there yet but always wanted to - I'm on the south coast so a distance away. Swanage Railway is my local.
Great, let us know how you get on. Plus loads of photos if you can.
I used to spend my holidays as a kid down at harmans cross taking photos off the bridge there. Fantastic memories. I haven’t been back in 20yrs.

Don’t get mixed up between Grand Central Trains and The Great Central Railway!
.... Ooops! You are right, I meant The Great Central Railway (the Heritage railway).

Don’t get mixed up between Grand Central Trains and The Great Central Railway!
Haha I made that mistake when I first read it. I was trying to make a connection between grand central trains and Deltics and it didn’t add up then it dawned on me about the great central railway.

.... I think that red roof may be a hangover from Virgin Trains operational livery?

Sorry if I have already posted this one but it illustrates my question :

Yep, still Virgin red...

Avanti wouldn't go to the effort of painting the roof as they are getting rid of the Voyagers and Crosscountry, well, their Voyagers are still running around with Virgin interior 15 years after taking over the franchise.

.... It depends how you photograph it but it is at least different. Not my favourite Class800x livery but I prefer it to the GWR livery known by ferroequinologistics as "Flying Cucumbers".

To me, it just looks as if it's missing something.

To me, it just looks as if it's missing something.
.... Lumo is all about electric train travel and blue is the representative colour for electric power (see road vehicles). Simple all-blue trains is a strong differentiating livery from competitors - Think Blue Streak. Blue is the traditional colour for the speed record breaking steam loco 'Mallard'. The rest is personal taste. I agree that the livery might be a bit more imaginative but, hey, we are talking about it and so it is effective marketing.

.... Lumo is all about electric train travel and blue is the representative colour for electric power (see road vehicles). Simple all-blue trains is a strong differentiating livery from competitors - Think Blue Streak. Blue is the traditional colour for the speed record breaking steam loco 'Mallard'. The rest is personal taste. I agree that the livery might be a bit more imaginative but, hey, we are talking about it and so it is effective marketing.

That's one way of describing it, another way of describing it is it's a First Group budget operation and they didn't want to spend too much on branding? ;)

Back