weekly Mandys TP 52 2017 Week 11 Dark Added

Hi Mandy ... I agree about adding a soft towel or blanket, but you've captured it well, it's a good clear shot, distraction for me is your copyright, I think a feinter one in the opposite corner would work better.

Hmmm I like the angle - something different. Maybe if it was nestled into a soft towel as others have suggested but then that too has been done. No, it's fine as is to my mind - sharp and well defined.

Thanks for the comments and for dropping by.

Someone was bound to do it :D

Nicely presented Mandy

I like the contrast of "comfort" in such a stark image. Adding a towel, blanket, etc. might be a bit cliche (which is fine). The only thing I might want to see is more shadow.

Nice clean and sharp shot. I don't think it needs further props.

Hi Mandy,
Well lit shot, the lighting is consistent across the image :)
It's good to work on things like that as part of your 52 - your lighting is far better than I achieve...

Andy mentioned that the BG is a little under exposed, and Gremlin16 felt it lacked oompfh.

You can fix both of those in a few minutes in post.
1. Levels adjustment - adjust the white & black points
2. Hue/Saturation - grab the two different blues from the bottle and increase the saturation a smidge.

Definitely apt for Comfort Mandy but have to agree with the others that it needs something more. But I've said that many times about my one shots, so onwards and upwards.

I never even thought of that...doh! That background is nice and evenly lit - something I struggle with.

Good 'n sharp ...

I like the contrast of "comfort" in such a stark image. Adding a towel, blanket, etc. might be a bit cliche (which is fine). The only thing I might want to see is more shadow.

Nice clean and sharp shot. I don't think it needs further props.

Hi Mandy,
Well lit shot, the lighting is consistent across the image :)
It's good to work on things like that as part of your 52 - your lighting is far better than I achieve...

Andy mentioned that the BG is a little under exposed, and Gremlin16 felt it lacked oompfh.

You can fix both of those in a few minutes in post.
1. Levels adjustment - adjust the white & black points
2. Hue/Saturation - grab the two different blues from the bottle and increase the saturation a smidge.

Definitely apt for Comfort Mandy but have to agree with the others that it needs something more. But I've said that many times about my one shots, so onwards and upwards.

Thanks all for the comments and feedback.

Today I braved the chill in the air to go out and find something that would suit this weeks theme. I have settled on this image of a catkin from a Goat Willow tree ( Sallow ) Salix caprea, the Goat Willow often gets called the pussy willow, because the silky grey buds bear a fanciful resemblance to cats paw. Male Catkins become bright yellow when they open; female catkins greener, producing numerous silky haired seeds.

Week 3 Hairy

Hairy (19) by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

Nice spot Mandy, just need to brighten it up a little, nice touch identifying it something I am not very good at

My favorite part is that the branch goes corner to corner - nice composition. Can you do a macro shot? I think a macro shot of one or two could be interesting.

Blimey! are they out already?
Loads of detail in there, nicely captured Mandy :)

Great choice Mandy - love nature with all it's quirkiness. Spot on for composition - and set against a lovely bg too.

They are odd looking! Good and unusual composition and great DoF.

Really like this shot, I agree with everything above except I like the slightly muted tones.

Wow they are odd looking things Mandy, very hairy looking... I like that you have gone from corner to corner :)

Nicely composed and great detail on the hairiness :) I think if they were a touch more bright they would stand out a little better.

A good shot Mandy of the atkins, agree with Dean with the comment going from corner to corner, nicely taken :)

Nice spot Mandy, just need to brighten it up a little, nice touch identifying it something I am not very good at

My favorite part is that the branch goes corner to corner - nice composition. Can you do a macro shot? I think a macro shot of one or two could be interesting.

Very nice Mandy, like that a lot.

Blimey! are they out already?
Loads of detail in there, nicely captured Mandy :)

Great choice Mandy - love nature with all it's quirkiness. Spot on for composition - and set against a lovely bg too.

They are odd looking! Good and unusual composition and great DoF.

Really like this shot, I agree with everything above except I like the slightly muted tones.

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Good composition for Hairy Mandy (oh, that doesn't look good does it) :p, but you know what I mean :D

The diagonal works really well and just looks like it needs a little boost. More contrast or clarity perhaps :thinking:

I like that a lot ... OOF BG and it looks like you may have rotated it, if so, it does add interest.(y)

Great focus and bokeh :) I have some of these in the house, but my daughter keeps picking the damn things off and stroking them :rolleyes:

That was my first thought as well. I like the angle, but the buds look a tad soft to me ? Possibly down to the slowish shutter speed ?

Good composition for Hairy Mandy (oh, that doesn't look good does it) :p, but you know what I mean :D

The diagonal works really well and just looks like it needs a little boost. More contrast or clarity perhaps :thinking:

I like that a lot ... OOF BG and it looks like you may have rotated it, if so, it does add interest.(y)

That's unusual, didn't know that you got buds like that! Agree that the diagonal composition works well.

Great focus and bokeh :) I have some of these in the house, but my daughter keeps picking the damn things off and stroking them :rolleyes:

Good use of diagonals there Mandy, it pops nicely from the OoF background :)
I think I agree with Allan about adding a touch of vibrancy to the image.

Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated.

Nice one Mandy. I like the off white/ grey BG, it sets off the colours of the wrapper really well. Now you've made me hungry; my favourite chocolate!

'Sweet' shot Mandy.... though I'm resisting temptation myself.. even though that deliciously smooth milk chocolate is very very mouth watering... (y)

Simple, good composition, well executed and delicious!

'Sweet' shot Mandy.... though I'm resisting temptation myself.. even though that deliciously smooth milk chocolate is very very mouth watering... (y)

You can`t beat a bar of smooth galaxy chocolate, nice focus good lighting and as you say, now onto the next :)

Simple, good composition, well executed and delicious!

Interesting idea Mandy.....seems like great minds think alike...

Id shot this before I decided to go with my butter idea.....

choc by Mark P, on Flickr

Its only very very quickly processed to show what I had in mind....

Thanks all for dropping by.

Always have loved working with edible props ... don't know why ha ha. (Galaxy has always been one of my fave chocs). Like the POV and the DoF.

Hi Mandy,
I'm surprised at how shallow the DoF is a f/6.7 (is f/6.7 even a thing?), there is quite a narrow plane of focus running horizontally through the subject.
It is evidently the effect you were after, but did you try any with a deeper DoF, it would be interesting to see them if you did.

I'm more a Cadbury man myself, but I like your photo. Not so sure about the super shallow DoF though, have you tried focus stacking?

Always have loved working with edible props ... don't know why ha ha. (Galaxy has always been one of my fave chocs). Like the POV and the DoF.

Thanks for dropping by.

Hi Mandy,
I'm surprised at how shallow the DoF is a f/6.7 (is f/6.7 even a thing?), there is quite a narrow plane of focus running horizontally through the subject.
It is evidently the effect you were after, but did you try any with a deeper DoF, it would be interesting to see them if you did.

No I didn't try any other ideas out as I was pushed for time.

I'm more a Cadbury man myself, but I like your photo. Not so sure about the super shallow DoF though, have you tried focus stacking?

No I haven't had a go at focus stacking, no idea where to begin on that.

Back