weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2017 - Week 51 & 52 Festive & Weather added (and COMPLETE!)

Some superb shots here Andrea. I really like the b&w, reflection and textures of the sand in structure. The motion blur in whole is spot on - what a fun and brilliantly executed shot. My favourite is the paw though, so much detail and contrast is texture and shade - a really memorable shot :clap:

Lovely mono conversion with a good sky and nice hint of a reflection in the foreground.

Thanks, Chris. The reflection on the beach was what prompted the wider view.

I think you're right about the B&W Andrea. It works really well. Great sky.

Thanks, John. It came to life when converted to B&W.

Hairy, lots of detail captured in the paw

Smooth, lovely scene, almost prefect conditions.

Mineral, Sharpe with lots of detail and a nice refection.

Whole, Nice idea, the blur looks great.

Structure, looks a wonderful place to visit, lots of opportunities.

(y)

Thanks for looking in and taking the time to comment on my recent updates. It's really appreciated (y)

Great photo for structure, lovely buildings, great reflection and B&W conversion works a treat!

Thanks, Bernd :)

I think you were right to make it B&W, really like the reflections on the wet sand and plenty of detail to keep your interest. Nice shot.

Glad you like it, Steve. Thank you :)

Structure, really like this shot and in B&W too makes it even better imo, like the slight reflections, textures and that beautiful building (y)

Thanks, Dave. It is a fascinating castle and I think I need to visit again soon!

Some superb shots here Andrea. I really like the b&w, reflection and textures of the sand in structure. The motion blur in whole is spot on - what a fun and brilliantly executed shot. My favourite is the paw though, so much detail and contrast is texture and shade - a really memorable shot :clap:

Thanks for looking through my thread and commenting, Emma (y) I'm looking forward to getting up to date and visiting everyone's threads!

There is really only one word Andrea - Stunning.

Why? Excellently exposed and detailed subject on the bottom third. Great detail in the moody sky and some god reflections at the bottom. If the sky hadn't been moody, the shot wouldn't have worked as well, as it would have been empty space, but with that texture it just works really well.

There is really only one word Andrea - Stunning.

Why? Excellently exposed and detailed subject on the bottom third. Great detail in the moody sky and some god reflections at the bottom. If the sky hadn't been moody, the shot wouldn't have worked as well, as it would have been empty space, but with that texture it just works really well.

Wow, thanks Tim :) Lovely to read and glad you liked it!

Week 8 - Routine

Walking in the park this morning I was looking at people going about their Saturday morning routines and thought that the energetic people jogging around the lakeside were not only following their usual routine but were also following a fitness routine, so I reckon this hits the theme on two counts :D :exit:

08 Routine
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Week 9 - Number

Still on my catch-up here and now a mere four themes behind, this is another from this morning's trip to Ramsey in the north of the island; the rear number of Manx Electric Railway trailer number 47, built in 1899 and operating almost constantly ever since on the line between Douglas and Ramsey.

09 Number by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Structure was very good indeed and another good catch up, its hard to keep up with you

Week 10 - Attractive

Not a person, a flower or magnets, but I think this qualifies as an attractive spot. It's a small pond in one of the island's many plantations and on a lovely day like today the reflections of the trees and perfect blue sky made it an idyllic spot. Pause a while and enjoy the view and the sound of the birds...

10 Attractive by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

looks a lovely place to how you say pause a while and take it all in, certainly attractive to me

Attractive, now that I do agree with. Stunning and beautiful, I could see my self sitting on the edge with my feet in the water, watching and enjoying the sights and sounds of the wildlife, so very attractive indeed :plus1::plus1:

Thanks, David. It's a lovely peaceful little spot in the middle of a forest and if I remember correctly it's known for dragonflies in the warmer weather so I must remember to go back later in the year.

looks a lovely place to how you say pause a while and take it all in, certainly attractive to me

Thanks, Allan (y)
Ohhhh Andrea, really liking that number shot, simple yes but bold and well composed, also good to see one of your catch ups in progress too (y)

Thanks, Dean. It was a rare trip to the far north so it seemed fitting to snap one of the trams while we were all the way up there ;) Yes, I'm doing my best to get off the Wall of Shame asap :D

That's a very attractive spot to rest and waste some time. Lovely reflection and I like the mix of light and shade on the jetty.

Thanks, Steve. The light was lovely.

Week 11 - Dark

Unsurprisingly taken in the same plantation as the image above, a bit later in the walk. This was tricky exposure-wise, with the extremes of light between the dark areas under the tree canopies and bright mid-afternoon sun at the edges. I've tried to show the contrast by including the logs in the foreground to relieve the dense darkness behind, and I hope it works. I wouldn't want to venture too far under the trees, especially at night! :eek:

11 Dark

Very scary woods it does look very dense, you have handled the exposure really well

Week 12 - Power

Well, the catch-up is almost over and here are two things I've never done before. 1. A collage of images, and 2. photos of my brother's car when he hasn't washed it. Don't tell him! :exit:

12 Power

I didn't realise until editing the images that there's such a difference between the stronger and weaker light on the two parts of the car, making it look almost like two different colours. I'm not clever enough to correct that in post-processing so - if he's still speaking to me - I might try this again on a day when he's washed it and the light is more even :cautious:

Last edited:
Attractive, lovely scene, blue skies, fluffy clouds and a great line of trees.I might have been tempted to shoot at the end of the jetty to include more reflections.

Dark, very eerie shot hiding something dark and evil.

Power, as a big fan of having a clean car I hope he doesn't see these filthy shots :D

(y)

Power, first of all I just want to say I think you have done a fantastic catch up on the themes (y)(y) Like how you have done this and must try it my self, you are right when you say it looks like two cars :)

Thanks very much, David. I struggled with week 1 and some of the next themes were challenging, but now I'm almost up to date I'm looking forward to visiting everyone else's threads and keeping up for the rest of the year :D

Attractive, lovely scene, blue skies, fluffy clouds and a great line of trees.I might have been tempted to shoot at the end of the jetty to include more reflections.

Dark, very eerie shot hiding something dark and evil.

Power, as a big fan of having a clean car I hope he doesn't see these filthy shots :D

(y)

Thanks foggy, that's a good point about the reflections and using the jetty - although it was a fairly creaky affair - but the light was behind me and I couldn't avoid getting my shadow in the foreground other than by crouching where I did. Looks like a return visit could be in order! As for the mucky car, yes he has now seen the images :eek: :exit:

Attractive, darl and power are my faves. Did you place the logs like that?

Thanks, Dom. No, they were far too big and heavy for me to move, but I liked the way they pointed into the trees so I placed myself instead :)

Reshoot - Week 7 Structure

This chimney is the structure that first came to mind for that theme, so although I used the one of the castle for the actual 'Structure' theme this was the natural place to head for for my re-shoot.

It is a chimney at the long-abandoned Cross Vein Mine, popularly known as 'Snuff The Wind', a few miles up into the hills from my home, and I have always liked the brickwork and contrasting colours on the corners. The mine was closed in 1881 and most of the remaining buildings are fenced off and unsafe, but this distinctive chimney still stands tall in the Manx countryside.

12a Structure Reshoot

Just this week's theme to do! :banana: :banana:

Last edited:
Really like the reshoot of structure. The tilt works brilliantly on this kind of shot, and i love the detail in the brickwork.

Dark is a lovely vivid shot. Have you considered cropping it to get an odd number of trees in it to see if that adds anything?

Last edited:
Hi there ...well done with catching up ...stand out for me are your Attractive photo and your reshoot Structure.
You've somehow managed to really 'capture the moment' in attractive, its not just another pond and trees image, it's somewhere you really want to go and sit and think.
I just love that tower ...a great angle, towering up into that grey sky, a really eye catching shot.:clap:

Structure is a beaut, nice converted.

and so too is Dark .... was flash used there?

The chimney is very nicely done on a tilt with interest in the sky, B&W giving it an old movie feel.

(y)

I like dark very much - the hint of trees beyond in the shadows and the contrast of masses of detail in the grass and logs. There's something quite painterly about it. The chimney is very striking too taken at that angle. Attractive does look like an attractive place to while away an hour or so - good choice for the theme!

Thanks, Dean. It was a rare trip to the far north so it seemed fitting to snap one of the trams while we were all the way up there ;) Yes, I'm doing my best to get off the Wall of Shame asap :D

Sounds good !!! consider it done, now just STAY off there :LOL:

Very nice structure, the angle works really well I'm just undecided if I would prefer it central rather than on an angle. (y)

Back