weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2017 - Week 51 & 52 Festive & Weather added (and COMPLETE!)

Love the colours and textures in Broken, but I would have preferred the post to be more vertical in the frame.

Yes, I see what you mean and I did try other angles, but to get lower would have included the sea and headland opposite, which I found distracting. Not one of my best pics and a PABD to keep moving through the 52, but I did like the rusty colours at the base :)

Great colours and textures! At first I thought it was burnt wood rather than rusty metal!

Great colours and textures! At first I thought it was burnt wood rather than rusty metal!

Thanks, Berrnd, it could easily be burnt wood at first glance. Funnily enough, it was only a stone's throw from a derelict building that has recently suffered fire damage.

21 Transport

I had a couple of options for this theme (avoiding steam trains as I've already used them twice this year!) but have somehow left it a week before deciding which to process so I'm still a couple of weeks behind :banghead:

I settled on this one because I like the details and textures of the interior, which, along with the age of the car, made B&W and a tight composition the obvious choice for me.

21 Transport
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Architecture - nicely symmetrical and you've managed to retain some nice detail of the underside which presumably was in the shadow.

Broken - just a piece of rusty old pole but great colour against the stone and nice texture, nice one.

Interesting PoV for transport, nice details, works well in B&W. Shame about the driver's seat in the bottom of the frame, but I guess you couldn't rip it out...

Architecture - nicely symmetrical and you've managed to retain some nice detail of the underside which presumably was in the shadow.

Broken - just a piece of rusty old pole but great colour against the stone and nice texture, nice one.

Thanks, Chris :) Yes, the underside was in shadow so I tried a few different exposures and some work in PP to make sure there was some detail there.

Interesting PoV for transport, nice details, works well in B&W. Shame about the driver's seat in the bottom of the frame, but I guess you couldn't rip it out...

Thanks, Bernd. I was leaning over the boot and trying not to touch the car, so was limited in the angle I could get, and I thought the top of the seat created a border at the bottom, and also explains the striped reflection in the mirror at the top :)

Ooh, I am struggling with Minimalistic and yet another theme is due tomorrow! I've taken a few images for Minimalistic but I'm not really happy with any of them so far. This is the stage of a 52 when I get tailed off and give up, so I'm fast approaching the stage of PABD and getting on with Progress and then whatever is drawn tomorrow, rather than be three themes behind again :sulk:

The steering wheel is a great approach to the Transport theme. (y)

And they don't come much more interesting than this. I think with all the light reflection B&W was a good way to go.

The steering wheel is a great approach to the Transport theme. (y)

And they don't come much more interesting than this. I think with all the light reflection B&W was a good way to go.

Thanks, David, it was a gorgeous car in brilliant condition and the interior, with all the lovely wood, leather and metal, was immaculate.

22 Minimalistic

22 Minimalistic
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

After being in despair with this one, as noted here yesterday, I found something!

I was not happy with any of the images I had taken for this theme so took the camera out again this afternoon, tried a couple of things, but was actually on my way home when I saw this building. I'm glad I stopped for a look as this is the only result I am happy with so at last I can post and start thinking about Progress... something I'm struggling to maintain at the moment :)

Last edited:
Minimalistic, a very good find Andrea. I like the faded crack on the rhs and the one on lhs, but the windows make it for me nice colours to them too (y)
For Progress, if you have an older camera than another if you own two, then they have progressed in style :)

Last edited:
Great find for minimalistic, perfect symmetry and great composition!

Minimalistic, a very good find Andrea. I like the faded crack on the rhs and the one on lhs, but the windows make it for me nice colours to them too (y)
For Progress, if you have an older camera than another if you own two, then they have progressed in style :)

Thanks, Dave, glad you liked the same things I did. As for Progress, my first thought was that it was too close to Evolve, which we had recently, and for which I used a couple of cameras and a mobile phone. I'd better not do that again so I need to think of something different! :D

Perfect Andrea. Love those clean lines and the slight asymmetry of the window blinds. Well spotted

Very good take on the theme, well composed.

Really like that for minimalistic Andrea, well composed, it stands out well.

Great find for minimalistic, perfect symmetry and great composition!

Thank you for your positive comments. I'm so pleased to have found something that I thought fitted the theme and I liked, and you've seen the same things too. Lovely feedback, thank you :)

23 Progress

23 Progress by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Not such a struggle with this theme, as I have used the annual Parish Walk for a theme in a previous 52. Last time it was my son, this time sister-in-law George (@Missycat) and friend Sue as they made impressive strides away from the southern-most checkpoint on today's walk. I hadn't warned her so I hope George will forgive me :D

I had decided on a slow shutterspeed for some intentional motion blur in their feet and the background, although the very bright sunshine made it difficult to get lower than 1/25th, even at f/13 and the lowest possible ISO. Given the blazing hot sunshine and the 19 miles behind them (and at least 13 more ahead) their big smiles are a nice bonus! They're still walking as I write this, but hopefully an ice cream will be waiting for them if they finish in Peel as planned.

You've captured the motion blur very well I think, really nice sense of movement and good to see them still smiling

This is a great find for minimalistic, you obviously have an understanding of minimalist art. But studying this, it's a shame the vents (?) aren't level and the blinds RHS not showing such good horizontals as those LHS. Now I think I would have been tempted to cheat and clone out a window ... like THIS

Progress is very nicely done, blurred BG means good panning (or roving focus point) plus some movement in legs/feet ... spot on. And well done to all involved.

Very nice photo for progress, perfect panning and just the right amount of motion blur.

Liking progress, a great shot showing good blur in the BG and the young ladies striding out on the walk, nice colours too (y)

Thanks Dave :D Its quite a long time since anyone has called me a young lady :D

You've captured the motion blur very well I think, really nice sense of movement and good to see them still smiling

We weren't smiling quite so much at the end. The next thirteen miles were brutal in scorching heat and virtually no shade but we made it! 32.5 miles in total :D

Minimal - I like that a lot, even if it's not symmetrical.
Progress - Not a nice day for walking so far, good to see them smiling though. The blurring adds a good sense of movement to the image.

Liking progress, a great shot showing good blur in the BG and the young ladies striding out on the walk, nice colours too (y)

Thanks, Dave. You made George's day when I told her you'd called them "young ladies" :)

Thanks, Chris. They were certainly striding out, and I have every admiration for them - I think I'd have struggled to raise a smile by then (y)

This is a great find for minimalistic, you obviously have an understanding of minimalist art. But studying this, it's a shame the vents (?) aren't level and the blinds RHS not showing such good horizontals as those LHS. Now I think I would have been tempted to cheat and clone out a window ... like THIS

Thanks, David. I don't know about an understanding, but of the various things I tried, this was the one that shouted "Yes!" when I saw it and I'm glad it seems to have worked. Yes, I think they must be vents, and probably bathroom windows.

I really like that edit! I wouldn't have thought of doing that but it does work very well. I tend to stick as close to reality as possible, but this works very well (y)

Progress is very nicely done, blurred BG means good panning (or roving focus point) plus some movement in legs/feet ... spot on. And well done to all involved.

Thanks again. Yes, it was panning (the first time for a long time) with the aim of capturing their faces fairly sharply but with motion elsewhere to show movement and - hopefully - forward progress.

Very nice photo for progress, perfect panning and just the right amount of motion blur.

Thanks, Bernd (y)

Minimal - I like that a lot, even if it's not symmetrical.
Progress - Not a nice day for walking so far, good to see them smiling though. The blurring adds a good sense of movement to the image.

Thanks, Steve (y)

Nice motion blur on progress but I have to say I really like your minimalist shot, excellent

Nice motion blur on progress but I have to say I really like your minimalist shot, excellent

Really liking minimalistic Andrea, the textures of the render and the simple symmetry work really well (y)

Thanks very much, chaps. The Minimalist one seems to have really hit the spot this week :woot:

Hi Andrea,

Transport - As a past owner of a couple of MGs (Midgets), that shot really tugs, it's lovely.
I'm thinking something from the TA-TF range. Anywhere near?

Minimalistic - As a PABD shot I think it works well. It certainly hits the theme and you've got some nice symmetry. Bang on I say.

Progress - I think you got the panning / shutter speed spot on. Nice background and legs motion blur, yet still sharp enough over the rest of their bodies (y)

Hi Andrea,

Transport - As a past owner of a couple of MGs (Midgets), that shot really tugs, it's lovely.
I'm thinking something from the TA-TF range. Anywhere near?

Minimalistic - As a PABD shot I think it works well. It certainly hits the theme and you've got some nice symmetry. Bang on I say.

Progress - I think you got the panning / shutter speed spot on. Nice background and legs motion blur, yet still sharp enough over the rest of their bodies (y)

Thanks very much, Tim. I really wish I knew what sort of MG it was, but I didn't make a note or take a photo of the details displayed at the front :facepalm: Hopefully it might be at one of the summer shows and I'll see it again, and if so I'll get more details.

certainly says Pleasurable .... we've seen some cat shots on here over the years, good to see the entirely different.

Back