weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2018 - Week 52 Showcase added & COMPLETE

I have to say I like “Gated” a lot it’s almost the perfect picture of an idyllic rural scene, very calming :)

That is a great shot, love the life in it and the light is at a lovely angle.

Thanks, Jon, that's why I went back to it again; not just the lovely horses but the light.

I think it's a great image - it's got great colour and warmth to it - well done

Thank you, Ian (y)

Shot of the week. :clap:

An otherwise boring 5 bar gate comes alive. It's red, it's wonky, it has two majestic creature saying hello. Beauties, backlit by the winter sun yet your camera has caught the scene just perfectly.

Wow, thanks, David :) It was a battle and I spent more time in LR and PS than I usually do, but just about teased it out. Glad it didn't end up in the reject pile!

Its a beautiful shot. Well done. Nice composition. Great colour. Nothing to fault in my inexperienced eyes.

Thank you, Ross, much appreciated.

Lovely composition, lovely horses. To hell with the processing, it's a great shot(y)

Thanks, John :)

Beautiful photo, great colours and great horses. Nothing to criticise!

Thank you, Bernd, I owe the horses a lot for their pose :)

You should flog that to the Manx tourist board, picture postcard stuff!

Thanks,Chris, not quite the tourist board but BBC Isle of Man picked it up this evening from my Facebook and have shared it on their FB :banana:

Gate
It's a glorious shot, nothing else to say.

Thanks, Dominic (y)

Don`t be to harsh haha, well your shot for gate imo is a cracker. I love how the lovely horses are turning their heads to pose for you, and also love the lighting (y)(y)

Thanks, Dave, so glad I gave it another try today :)

Stunning photo! Great composition and lovely light.

Thanks, Mark, although I have to share credit with the horses for the composition :D

I have to say I like “Gated” a lot it’s almost the perfect picture of an idyllic rural scene, very calming :)

Thank you, it was a return to the location of my Week 0 shot and it really is a peaceful location. I got lucky with the curious horses :)

Almost Turneresque Andrea, very nice shot for the theme....

Thank you Mark, that's very kind.

Boy they are a mighty pair, I love the colours and that you captured them looking opposite directions and that wonky gate is how I like to see them, worn... nice crop too with the tad of old wall flanking the gates, lovely start Andrea (y)

Thank, Dean, the light and subject combined beautifully and I'm glad I gave the processing another try this evening.

Brilliant shot, perfect timing or luck, whatever it was to have them both there and a nice sunset behind them :clap:

Best one I've seen in this round.

I agree with @d00d Shot of the week.

Stunning love the compositon and lighting I could see that hanging on the wall!

Great image, going to use this as inspiration for a project I'm working on this year :D

lovely sky + great light + two beautiful horses + the required gate = 1 Stunning picture

Week 0 - Well composed and lots of interest with textures and subtle colours.

Week 1 - You owe those two models a carrot each, great shot with the sun set catching the manes and still enough light on the stone walls and gate.

Was scrolling through the pictures for last week, and yours jumped straight out at me. Had to come and have a closer look. A superb picture, well done!!

So sorry it's taken ages to get back to my thread. I was completely up to date with posts and commenting and then caught a nasty bug that floored me for a week and it's taken until now to get back here. Dammit :mad:

Brilliant shot, perfect timing or luck, whatever it was to have them both there and a nice sunset behind them :clap:

Thank you very much, Allan :) I was hoping for a sunset behind or through the gate but the horses coming over was a huge stroke of luck and I'm so glad I went back for a second go at processing this as it has worked out so nicely.

Best one I've seen in this round.

Thank you very much indeed , Martin, much appreciated!

Gate(d) - that is a corker of an image great composition, nice colours, lovely rickety gate and two stunning horses to add some interest to the image.

Thank you, Mandy, glad you like it.

I agree with @d00d Shot of the week.

Stunning love the compositon and lighting I could see that hanging on the wall!

Thank you very much, Mark, that's much appreciated. I hope I haven't already peaked for this year :D

Absolutely lovely back-lighting and subject matter young Andrea.
That's a really good photo, I hope you are printing it for your wall.

Thank you indeed, Tim, it's lovely to read the positive feedback and I'm SO glad I went back for another go at the processing. Not sure whether it would print well, but it could be worth a try.

Both are good Photos, the Horses make the 2nd one extra good.

Pete

Thank you, Pete, I definitely owe them a few carrots!

Thank you very much, Tony :)

Beautiful photograph Andrea:clap:

Thank you, Liz, much appreciated.

Great image, going to use this as inspiration for a project I'm working on this year :D

Thank you, Richard, and I'm intrigued now! Would love to know how your project shapes up.

lovely sky + great light + two beautiful horses + the required gate = 1 Stunning picture

Thank you very much :D

Week 0 - Well composed and lots of interest with textures and subtle colours.

Week 1 - You owe those two models a carrot each, great shot with the sun set catching the manes and still enough light on the stone walls and gate.

Thank you, David, I just about got away with the light and processing in that second image and and yes I certainly do owe them some carrots :)

Was scrolling through the pictures for last week, and yours jumped straight out at me. Had to come and have a closer look. A superb picture, well done!!

Thanks very much, Gil :)

Week 2 - People

As mentioned above, it was all going so well; I was completely up to date with images, posts and commenting and then a nasty bug floored me for a week and it's taken until now to get back here. Dammit :mad:

This image was taken within hours of the theme being unveiled but I wasn't overly happy with any images from the set so I was hoping to get some more, and then got poorly. I've had another couple of attempts, including today, but people aren't a favourite subject of mine and they seem thin on the ground at this time of year anyway, so I've returned to this one, which has the best interaction of any I have got so far. I like the cheerful colours of the dogs' coats and the peoples' expressions as they watch the high speed arrival of the third dog.

02 People
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 3 - Stark

Moving swiftly on, I doubt that bare tree branches are an original idea for this theme but the constant dull weather got in the way of my one other idea so here is the result of this afternoon's walk in a local park. I've taken a similar image before in this location so I know it has some good trees that are close together and bare at this time of year. I composed the scene horizontally at first but thought that the vertical arrangement really emphasised the height of the trees and showed how they are stretching skywards.

03 Stark by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Week 4 - Over

I went out searching for inspiration for this one, with a vague idea about using the little bridge in the distance, but the details of the points caught my eye. As trains have to pass over the points (and rails and sleepers, for that matter) on any journey from this little station I think/hope this is a valid choice for the theme :confused:

Edit: I should add that the steam railway does not run during the winter so I was quite safe!

04 Over
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

That's me up to date again until Thursday; just a couple of weeks' commenting to catch up on now :eek:

Last edited:
I like the tree shot, certainly a huge improvment over my own. The people shot, for me, has a bit too much sand in it. A little more cropping would improve it perhaps. 'Over' hits my spot of the three as I am a sucker for a crisp, well-exposed monochrome piccy with good contrast -- nice, I like it.

Oh, and I love the puppy in your avatar!

Those train tracks are wonderful. Bet you were looking over your shoulder all the time!

Was watching some videos the other day about the lines in images and how they should lead you through the image - these do that perfectly

Nice catch up I like all three of them I disagree about to much sand its a well composed photo
Stark best tree pic we have had, theres been a few
good Low viewpoint of the tracks and a good conversion to B+W, as always well considered and strong photos (y)

Three very good images. It's a toss up between Stark and Over, but Over just tips it for me. Looks great in mono and very sharp.

I like your shots for over and stark but I think over is my favourite of the 2

Good to see you back Andrea, with some strong images too.(y) Loving them all .... the only thing I might consider changing is Stark .... what about some off top & bottom, a square crop? Just a thought.

People - Lovely image love the fact the little dog has all the energy.and the expression on the dog in the blue coats face says what's wrong with him/her!

Stark - I love it I could easily see that being used on the cover of a crime/horror novel about something happening in some spooky woods

Over - When I first saw this I was worried you might of ended up being run over taking this! lovely B&W conversion love how the tracks lead you into the bridge

People - I like the grouping but maybe a crop taking off some of the left hand side.
Stark - I really like that spot on for the theme
Over - I am glad that you did not put yourself in danger to get that shot. I really like the low Pov and the tracks lead you into the picture really well

Liking Stark Andrea, a great contrast and a splendid view looking up like that !!

Over, now then that does work in lots of ways, the tracks cross over too !! - I love the low point of view and the curved tract sweeping into the log leading line track, all going under the bridge, which for me does stand out nicely in the tree line, really like this one :clap:

People - fits the theme, my only niggle is the focus on the peoples faces could be a bit better, but box ticked. I am sorry to read you have had a stinking bug, I hope you are feeling much better now.

Stark - works well for the theme, nothing to crit.

Over - love the way the train tracks lead the eye up to the bridge in the distance another good find for the theme, works well in Mono.

Great catch-up!

My favourite is people (and dogs). Well composed, you'd get the impression they are alone on that beach!

Stark is a good shot that might work even better with a square crop.

Over is very nicely composed with all lines leading to the bridge in the background. And I like the B&W processing!

Back