weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2018 - Week 52 Showcase added & COMPLETE

Love your choices for the themes Andrea, I think Stark and Gate are my favorites!

Andrea your stark image says so much with so little (y) though pushing the exposure I might mistake it for veins of some kind..

Week 4 - Over

I went out searching for inspiration for this one, with a vague idea about using the little bridge in the distance, but the details of the points caught my eye. As trains have to pass over the points (and rails and sleepers, for that matter) on any journey from this little station I think/hope this is a valid choice for the theme :confused:

Edit: I should add that the steam railway does not run during the winter so I was quite safe!

04 Over
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

That's me up to date again until Thursday; just a couple of weeks' commenting to catch up on now :eek:

This Over shot works well for me Ma'am, great lead in, with the bridge well positioned in the frame, and a very nice bit of mono PP work.(y)

George.

I like the tree shot, certainly a huge improvment over my own. The people shot, for me, has a bit too much sand in it. A little more cropping would improve it perhaps. 'Over' hits my spot of the three as I am a sucker for a crisp, well-exposed monochrome piccy with good contrast -- nice, I like it.

Oh, and I love the puppy in your avatar!

Thanks Martin, I agree the People shot is far from perfect. I struggled with that one and tried for a week to get a better image, but failed for a number of reasons, so this was a 'post and move on' image to avoid falling further behind. It's already heavily cropped and is a prime candidate for a re-shoot! I was happier with the two monochrome images so I'm glad you liked those :)

Thank you, the puppy pic is a 15-year-old one of our much-loved girl who we lost a month ago, which is when I made it my avatar. She's a huge loss but that photo makes me smile.

Those train tracks are wonderful. Bet you were looking over your shoulder all the time!

Was watching some videos the other day about the lines in images and how they should lead you through the image - these do that perfectly

Thank you, Ian, that's great feedback. Thankfully the steam railway doesn't run during the winter so I was quite safe although you instinctively check both ways before stepping out over the rails :)

Nice catch up I like all three of them I disagree about to much sand its a well composed photo
Stark best tree pic we have had, theres been a few
good Low viewpoint of the tracks and a good conversion to B+W, as always well considered and strong photos (y)

Thank, Allan, much appreciated. I wasn't happy with the People pic and may try a re-shoot but it was the best of a bad bunch and allowed me to move on to the next themes. Really glad you like the tree and the rails (y)

Hi Andrea, nice catch up.

people, on theme, like the inclusion of the dogs too.
stark, very nice tree shot, b+w works a treat.
over, my favourite out of the three, great low angle, nice conversion, works very well.

Thanks Michael, I must admit the dogs made this my pick of a bad bunch, especially the happy one bouncing in from the right :) Glad you liked the B&W images and thanks for looking and commenting :)

Three very good images. It's a toss up between Stark and Over, but Over just tips it for me. Looks great in mono and very sharp.

Thanks Lee, that was my favourite of the three just posted, too.

I like your shots for over and stark but I think over is my favourite of the 2

Thank you, Tilly, that one was my favourite of the three too :)

I really like over, the tracks lead the eye nicely in and the mono works really well :)

Thank you, it's great when sometimes an images matches the one you saw in your minds eye (y)

Good to see you back Andrea, with some strong images too.(y) Loving them all .... the only thing I might consider changing is Stark .... what about some off top & bottom, a square crop? Just a thought.

Thanks, David, and that's a good idea. I hadn't considered that but I will try it as I think it will suit a square crop.

People - I like the grouping but maybe a crop taking off some of the left hand side.
Stark - I really like that spot on for the theme
Over - I am glad that you did not put yourself in danger to get that shot. I really like the low Pov and the tracks lead you into the picture really well

Thank you, I had already cropped loads off the People image so was reluctant to do any more, but it's a prime candidate for a re-shoot when one comes along! Glad you like the other two :)

Over is a very good shot and works well in mono, clever thougth fro the theme too....

Thanks, Mark, it took a bit of contorting but it's always nice when an idea comes off :)

Liking Stark Andrea, a great contrast and a splendid view looking up like that !!

Over, now then that does work in lots of ways, the tracks cross over too !! - I love the low point of view and the curved tract sweeping into the log leading line track, all going under the bridge, which for me does stand out nicely in the tree line, really like this one :clap:

Thank you Dean, it's always nice when ideas come off and it's lovely to read such feedback :)

People - fits the theme, my only niggle is the focus on the peoples faces could be a bit better, but box ticked. I am sorry to read you have had a stinking bug, I hope you are feeling much better now.

Stark - works well for the theme, nothing to crit.

Over - love the way the train tracks lead the eye up to the bridge in the distance another good find for the theme, works well in Mono.

Thanks Mandy, I agree the detail is lacking in the People image but they were some distance away and this was a big crop from the original. I tried to get something better but the bug and the weather conspired against me and I had to move on eventually. Glad you like the other two; I like them a lot more than the first one, too :)

Great catch-up!

My favourite is people (and dogs). Well composed, you'd get the impression they are alone on that beach!

Stark is a good shot that might work even better with a square crop.

Over is very nicely composed with all lines leading to the bridge in the background. And I like the B&W processing!

Thanks Bernd, you're about the only one who does like the People pic! :D I think the dogs added some much-needed interest. I agree with the idea of a square crop and wish I'd thought of it before. I will give it a try (y)

People is a good and well taken shot so on theme. Stark looking up is a better pov for the shot and might look better with a crop like Bernd says. Over goes great in mono and love the low pov so well done, and glad your feeling better :)

Thanks, Dave, feeling much better now thanks, and I hope you are too! Yes, I'm definitely going to try the square crop, and glad you like the other two.

As others have said above. Stark and Over are very good.

Pete

Thanks for looking in and for your feedback, Pete (y)

Love your choices for the themes Andrea, I think Stark and Gate are my favorites!

Thank you very much, Daniel :)

Andrea your stark image says so much with so little (y) though pushing the exposure I might mistake it for veins of some kind..

I agree, Frank, whenever an optician points one of those bright lights in my eyes and I can see the shadows of veins, I always think they look like bare tree branches :)

how did i miss this great shot for Over?? love the mono, as said lead in lines are a great indicator for the subject (y)

I'm glad you saw it on your next visit, and thank you for your feedback.

This Over shot works well for me Ma'am, great lead in, with the bridge well positioned in the frame, and a very nice bit of mono PP work.(y)

George.

Thank you, George, much appreciated.

Week 5 - Age(ing)

05 Age(ing)

I had to work really hard for this theme. It took at least five seconds for my eldest to suggest this subject for the theme, and about 30 seconds to walk from our back door to where the tree grows and take a few frames.

Some recent tree surgery shows the clear growth rings that each represent a year of age for this part of the tree, and I opted for colour rather than B&W as I like the ring of green Ivy contrasting with the warm colours of the wood.

Last edited:
Ah ha.... I see what you did there! Good thinking for the them.

Nice shot for the theme Andrea

This is really good Ma’am, the shot is right on theme, with some fine detail, and a wise decision to leave it in colour.(y)

George.

[QUOTE="Manxmaid, post: 8075502, member: 28481"

Thank you, the puppy pic is a 15-year-old one of our much-loved girl who we lost a month ago, which is when I made it my avatar. She's a huge loss but that photo makes me smile.
[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry to hear that. We lost our beloved Bisley, a border collie, at the age of 16. He was a rescue dog and we had him for eleven years. He is much missed as all my dogs have been. I have two at the moment and there's every chance that the youngest may outlive me. It's life and none of us get out of it alive. :(

Age ing ... Perfect. Thank your eldest. Good colour, pleased you didn't B&W it. (y)

Great photo and right on theme! I love the colours and textures!

Age(ing) - I like this alot, I had considered doing something similar myself, but then I had another idea. I agree with your choice of having it in colour as the tree growth stands out and there's some nice contrasty colours in the image.

It’s You! You got picked on my comment rota.

Week 5 Age - Clear link to theme and the green makes a great frame for the warmth of the wood. The seeping sap adds an extra texture.

Tree rings were going to be my idea for this theme Andrea, but you beat me to it....

Lovely textures in that tree.

Nice one Andrea

Ah ha.... I see what you did there! Good thinking for the them.

Nice shot for the theme Andrea

Great minds Andrea, as my other shot was just like yours. Tell the age of the tree via the rings, good clear shot plus I think it would look good in mono.

This is really good Ma’am, the shot is right on theme, with some fine detail, and a wise decision to leave it in colour.(y)

George.

Now that's nicely framed, I love the saw marks in the stump and the oof ivy, the outline of the bark looks head like (y)

Well spotted and a good take on the theme.

Nice idea for the theme you were right to leave it in colour

Great image for Age Andrea nicely frames and some love colours in the tree trunk

Damn Andrea, you beat me to it:):D Now I'll have to find something else. Well done

Nice find for the Theme Adrea.

Pete

Age ing ... Perfect. Thank your eldest. Good colour, pleased you didn't B&W it. (y)

Great photo and right on theme! I love the colours and textures!

Age(ing) - I like this alot, I had considered doing something similar myself, but then I had another idea. I agree with your choice of having it in colour as the tree growth stands out and there's some nice contrasty colours in the image.

It’s You! You got picked on my comment rota.

Week 5 Age - Clear link to theme and the green makes a great frame for the warmth of the wood. The seeping sap adds an extra texture.

Age - lovely shot the rings show up really well

Tree rings were going to be my idea for this theme Andrea, but you beat me to it....

Lovely textures in that tree.

Agree with the comments. Works well and best left in colour.

Thank you so much for all the comments, and I'm glad you mostly agree with the choice to leave it in colour because of the lovely tones.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to my thread and reply. I was completely up to date with photos and commenting and then a really nasty cold floored me for a week and has put me three weeks behind :puke: :banghead:

Week 6 - Sharp

06 Sharp

This is the other reason I was behind; even after shaking off the cold I struggled with ideas for this one. I decided I wanted a nice sharp knot of barbed wire with narrow DOF and went out twice this week in search of some. Failed to find some anywhere the first time, and the second time I got caught in a snow blizzard and couldn't get a crisp image.

As I have managed to get images for the two following themes, I resorted to an indoor set-up today to tick the box, so here is a random pile of needlework pins on a reflective black background. Not technically perfect but ticks the box and allows me to move on :) And when a re-shoot comes around, I will find that barbed wire!

Last edited:
Hi Andrea, nice image for the theme, however the lack of focus on the pins at the bottom of the image spoils it a bit. Focus stacking or just removing them would improve it a lot.

I can't see any reflections on the background, I have not tried this yet so don't understand why they are not there, could it be the angle.

Pete

Missed this one - I like it a lot. You've gone to the effort, got the shot you liked and it's bang on theme

Nice one Andrea; bang on for the theme. I can't see the reflections but the whole thing works well against that background.

Hi Andrea,

Age came out well after all your effort :naughty: I like the ivy round the edge and I agree it works best in colour. The pins look good nice black bg, the only one that slightly annoys me is the one pin on the left that sticks in from the side, but thats just being picky. Anyway I told you there was barbed wire next to my house and I think I almost got caught in the same blizzard :D

Nice one for sharp, well arranged and I like the light!

Back