weekly mdpF2's 52 2019

Hi Mark, welcome to the mad house :D Well done for catching up, some really nice shots. I love the cat in front of the fire he/she looks very cozy and the water drops on the bright green leaves are good too. I'm way behind with commenting so just catching up with everyone on the last three

Entrance - Lovely entrance to a beautiful old building. Was it possible to have stepped a couple of steps to the left to shoot straight down the hall way? This might have helped with the straightening issues. Sometimes there are so many different lines, you straighten one and then another isn't right :confused: most frustrating :D
Young - very cute little lamb, good dof and nice oof bg with no distractions(y)
Food - Nice close up and good detail. Think I would have liked to see bit more of the head though, maybe include the eye but that might just be me :D

Week 14 SMOOTH Cappuccino.... sooc technique (Acros b&w film simulation in camera)

DSCF0265_1.jpg

Not bad for sooc and a good idea for the theme I think with a bit of PP it could be very good but I am aware that defeats the object of the technique although I do believe SOOC isn’t a technique god knows why people think it is

Works well for food - nice detail to it a good colours

Works very well for smooth and sooc. Very subtle, but effective

Smooth
I quite like it. A bit like Allan, I'm sure a bit of pp would improve it, but understand the limitations of sooc.

Excellent shot for Smooth. Perfect for the theme and very good for SOOC too. Nice (y)
Works well for food - nice detail to it a good colours
Not bad for sooc and a good idea for the theme I think with a bit of PP it could be very good but I am aware that defeats the object of the technique although I do believe SOOC isn’t a technique god knows why people think it is
That is a very good Sooc shot, love it and agree with Allan.
Works very well for smooth and sooc. Very subtle, but effective
Very nice image Mark, fits the theme well.
The low contrasty look suits the smoothness of the image....great for SOOC.
Nice foam detail and well lit too.
Shmoooth!(y)
Smooth
I quite like it. A bit like Allan, I'm sure a bit of pp would improve it, but understand the limitations of sooc.
That's an excellent shot for SOOC technique and for the theme too.
Many thanks for feedback and advice, much appreciated.

Hi Mark,

Distant - Nice framing of the spire with the trees :) I may have cloned out the power line top right.
Young - Seems to be saying "mint sauce?" Hmm, actually a bit too close a crop for me, but plenty of separation achieved.
Food - The close-up here works better (imo) as it emphasises the act of eating. Nice bright sharp shot.
Smooth - I've never used acros, maybe I should have a play. Quite a dreamy look to the shot :)
Above - Looks good to me, over exposing would have lost the sky. You could probably bring the shadows up a bit in post if you're concerned about losing the detail on the underside of the birdy (which looks okay to me as it is).

catching up with comments
Rough - I like the pine cone but would like to see a bit more of it in focus
wet - great shot I too love the droplets
Object - clean simple image nicely done
New - those crocuses are very blue
Clean - I like the point of view
Open - good PoV
Waiting - I would have done a letterbox crop to loose some of the foreground and keep the lovely sky
Cold - he looks very content and glad to be in.
Free - Great image, lovely colour and detail.
Entrance - I like it as it is, All the entrances draw you into the picture.
Distant - the church is nicely framed in the gap in the trees.
Young - Good Dof he stands out nicely.
Food - good close up
Smooth - The soft grayness of the image seems to smooth it even more
Above - I like that. interesting sky and enough detail on the kite.

Last edited:
Great shot for above Mark. A nice bit of interest in the sky plus loads of sharp detail in the Red Kite. I agree with Tim re lifting the shadows touch but it is very good as it is.

Food - nice close up of the horse chompin' the grass
SMOOTH - as they come, Capuccino is definitely a smooth cup of coffee. Nice work.
ABOVE - stunning shot, nice and sharp, spot on!!

A lovely shot, Mark. :clap: Beautiful background light and plenty of details in the feathers.
Hi Mark,

Distant - Nice framing of the spire with the trees :) I may have cloned out the power line top right.
Young - Seems to be saying "mint sauce?" Hmm, actually a bit too close a crop for me, but plenty of separation achieved.
Food - The close-up here works better (imo) as it emphasises the act of eating. Nice bright sharp shot.
Smooth - I've never used acros, maybe I should have a play. Quite a dreamy look to the shot :)
Above - Looks good to me, over exposing would have lost the sky. You could probably bring the shadows up a bit in post if you're concerned about losing the detail on the underside of the birdy (which looks okay to me as it is).
catching up with comments
Rough - I like the pine cone but would like to see a bit more of it in focus
wet - great shot I too love the droplets
Object - clean simple image nicely done
New - those crocuses are very blue
Clean - I like the point of view
Open - good PoV
Waiting - I would have done a letterbox crop to loose some of the foreground and keep the lovely sky
Cold - he looks very content and glad to be in.
Free - Great image, lovely colour and detail.
Entrance - I like it as it is, All the entrances draw you into the picture.
Distant - the church is nicely framed in the gap in the trees.
Young - Good Dof he stands out nicely.
Food - good close up
Smooth - The soft grayness of the image seems to smooth it even more
Above - I like that. interesting sky and enough detail on the kite.
Great shot for above Mark. A nice bit of interest in the sky plus loads of sharp detail in the Red Kite. I agree with Tim re lifting the shadows touch but it is very good as it is.
Food - nice close up of the horse chompin' the grass
SMOOTH - as they come, Capuccino is definitely a smooth cup of coffee. Nice work.
ABOVE - stunning shot, nice and sharp, spot on!!
Many thanks for all the feedback! I've already lifted the shadows on the kite quite alot, so I don't think there's any more to come out. I generally try to get the picture as close as possible in camera, but really struggled on this one, more practice needed!

Lovely bird shot, even better when it's your first time! I don't think it needs any more exposure, there's enough detail in the bird and the colours in the sky are brilliant, so it's just right for me.

Fantastic image Mark!:clap:
Likewise, for a first attempt, it's top notch!
Terrific detail and pin sharp focus....very nicely done!
I agree that it's a fine exposure, nicely captured and it's not often you get a second chance with wild animals, so you did extremely well!
Those X-T3s are truly excellent....1/4700th of a second, and still only an ISO of 320?! Impressive!
I would think you would have plenty of wiggle room for boosting shadows in post....does Capture One have an adjustment brush feature?
Nevertheless, it's fine as it is in my opinion.
Well done indeed!(y)

Love that image for Above Mark. Great focus. hard to shoot and you did really well.

Above and for a first bird shot is a cracker Mark, very well taken indeed.
Lovely bird shot, even better when it's your first time! I don't think it needs any more exposure, there's enough detail in the bird and the colours in the sky are brilliant, so it's just right for me.
Fantastic image Mark!:clap:
Likewise, for a first attempt, it's top notch!
Terrific detail and pin sharp focus....very nicely done!
I agree that it's a fine exposure, nicely captured and it's not often you get a second chance with wild animals, so you did extremely well!
Those X-T3s are truly excellent....1/4700th of a second, and still only an ISO of 320?! Impressive!
I would think you would have plenty of wiggle room for boosting shadows in post....does Capture One have an adjustment brush feature?
Nevertheless, it's fine as it is in my opinion.
Well done indeed!(y)
Love that image for Above Mark. Great focus. hard to shoot and you did really well.
Thank you for the feedback, helpful and appreciated as ever.
The XT3 is a cracking camera, as is the XT30 too, plus the lenses. I'm now all Fuji for digital! Yes, Capture One does give lots of adjustment features, which I'm gradually learning about, although I do try to get the picture as close as I can straight from the camera...

Smooth - Nice image, fits the theme. Acros filter is one of my favourite film Sims.
Above - Really nice image, exposure is fine for me, like a moody sky. Nice job for your first bird shot!

Above
I've pretty much given up trying to get birds in flight.
You have got a pretty good effort there (better than any of my attempts). In over exposing you risk blowing out the sky. I'd be tempted to use an adjustment brush to lift the shadows in the bird. Having said that, there's something more natural looking about your photo, so i think I'd just leave as is.

Very good attempt for above Mark. I think there's plenty of detail there and nice hovering motion of the Kite

Hi Mark you have some super images on here since I last looked in

ENTRANCE Love the warm colours from the lighting, it looks very inviting.
DISTANT A lovely countryside view looking through to the church.
YOUNG There's lots of lovely close up detail in the lamb and the bright green really sets it off perfectly, a very springlike photo.
FOOD Another super close up, I think showing a little more of the head would have worked too.
SMOOTH I really like the soft look to this one, I think it looks just right, to sharpen it any more would lose the effect.
ABOVE That's a superb shot, I love it.

Smooth - Nice image, fits the theme. Acros filter is one of my favourite film Sims.
Above - Really nice image, exposure is fine for me, like a moody sky. Nice job for your first bird shot!
Above
I've pretty much given up trying to get birds in flight.
You have got a pretty good effort there (better than any of my attempts). In over exposing you risk blowing out the sky. I'd be tempted to use an adjustment brush to lift the shadows in the bird. Having said that, there's something more natural looking about your photo, so i think I'd just leave as is.
Very good attempt for above Mark. I think there's plenty of detail there and nice hovering motion of the Kite
Hi Mark you have some super images on here since I last looked in

ENTRANCE Love the warm colours from the lighting, it looks very inviting.
DISTANT A lovely countryside view looking through to the church.
YOUNG There's lots of lovely close up detail in the lamb and the bright green really sets it off perfectly, a very springlike photo.
FOOD Another super close up, I think showing a little more of the head would have worked too.
SMOOTH I really like the soft look to this one, I think it looks just right, to sharpen it any more would lose the effect.
ABOVE That's a superb shot, I love it.
Many thanks again for the comments, much appreciated.

Week 16 HOT - I tried this in colour & b&w, but preferred the colour version (hotter!). I'm not totally happy with the lighting though, something to work on...

XT030498 2.jpg

I love a splash of Tabasco :)

I often carry a bottle if eating out - so much bland food out there that needs a little kick :D

The lighting isn’t that bad, its nicely grounded with the bit of light spill on the floor. it’s hard to light glass bottles,
nice idea for the theme

I like it Mark. I think it adds to the image to have the dark background and lovely leading shadow. Glad you didn't do it in mono, as this image shows it's hot

Mark, the Red Kite is a one for a little fudging in lightroom. Just a little more shadow removal underneath would really help. But in all honesty I’d leave it as it is. Nice capture !

I love a splash of Tabasco :)

I often carry a bottle if eating out - so much bland food out there that needs a little kick :D
I too love a bit of Tabasco :D You've already mentioned the lighting but it's a good shot that's bang on theme.
Yep....that's hot alright!!
Jolly nice image, and the lighting isn't bad too.(y)
Works well on black....gives it more punch....not that Tabasco needs any!:giggle:
The lighting isn’t that bad, its nicely grounded with the bit of light spill on the floor. it’s hard to light glass bottles,
nice idea for the theme
Any glass surface is not the easiest object to photography but I thought you've done a good job. The central composition fits well for a simple subject.
Looks good to me, definitely meets the theme!
I like it Mark. I think it adds to the image to have the dark background and lovely leading shadow. Glad you didn't do it in mono, as this image shows it's hot
Mark, the Red Kite is a one for a little fudging in lightroom. Just a little more shadow removal underneath would really help. But in all honesty I’d leave it as it is. Nice capture !
Thank you all, appreciated

Back