weekly mdpF2's 52 for 2020

Hi Mark,

Food - Well, that stone/brick under his paw certainly isn't food. Cute photo.
Sharp + Tech - Interesting. I think you can tell it's 2 torches due to the reflections in the viewfinder (not so much the lens), but if it weren't for that, you'd think it was a single light source.
Digital Age - Nothing wrong with not liking a theme (I know I have problems with some). Thoughts on the shot technically though, it looks 'accidentally' off of straight. I would have straightened it or given it move an an angle. 1 or 2 degrees (whilst it may not be), looks accidental.
Snappers Choice + Tech - Looks like it would have been an ideal shot for Wet too. Plenty of bokeh balls :)

I also struggled with the digital theme - first time I've been properly late! Yours is the only coffee machine I've seen. I like that you have photographed it in progress complete with the reflection of the cup.

Love the oof reflections from the dew on the grass and works well as a B & W. Did you get wet knees? :)

Digital - now I want a coffee!! I'm in agreement with the angle - it's either too much or not quite enough for me.

But soft is beautiful - it's the kind of picture you usually see in colour, but works beautifully in black and white. I really like it!

I love the clinical and almost steely feel to the coffee machine shot. The lighting is very good, did you use a flash setup?

I would be interested to see the colour version of the grass.

The coffee machine with digital display works well for the theme.
Lovely bit of bokeh on the wet grass.

Food - Well, that stone/brick under his paw certainly isn't food
No, he was chewing a twig, the clue is in the title!

it looks 'accidentally' off of straight.
It was intentional, but I think you're right and I should have made it more of an angle or straight on. I did straighten the horizontals but it looked daft with coffee coming out at an angle. Alignment seems to be quite a weakness for me..

Digital
Quite like it.

Choice
Looks good in black and white, nice and soft.

Perfectly good shot for digital fits the brief. I do like the grass shot perfect DoF very good indeed
I also struggled with the digital theme - first time I've been properly late! Yours is the only coffee machine I've seen. I like that you have photographed it in progress complete with the reflection of the cup.

Love the oof reflections from the dew on the grass and works well as a B & W. Did you get wet knees? :)
Digital - now I want a coffee!! I'm in agreement with the angle - it's either too much or not quite enough for me.

But soft is beautiful - it's the kind of picture you usually see in colour, but works beautifully in black and white. I really like it!
That's a nice and clean coffee machine, mines are well used and the steam wand hasn't been working for a while so can't make cappuccino anymore now.

Technique is a nice shot with plenty of bokeh
Loving that Snapper's Choice to get the technique in.

Great shot.
I love the clinical and almost steely feel to the coffee machine shot. The lighting is very good, did you use a flash setup?

I would be interested to see the colour version of the grass.
The coffee machine with digital display works well for the theme.
Lovely bit of bokeh on the wet grass.
Love your snappers choice - works well in mono. Nice dof.
Digital
Quite like it.

Choice
Looks good in black and white, nice and soft.
Many thanks for the feedback..

I agree with Dave, the church (and the path) gives it context. The tree on the left border holds you into the image too.

Interesting fence. I guess it's like that at the bottom to stop dogs or sheep getting through?

Hi Mark,
I feel the shot could do with some selective brightening up. I appreciate that you're probably keeping it dark to retain the sky, but perhaps a luminescence mask based (or graduated filter) and some shadow lifting could have brought out details?

Nice Image Mark

May be if taken in Portrait mode It would emphises the Narrow bit, would need to be taken a bit further back as well for the tree.

Pete

Nicely composed and good textural subject matter but as others have said a little flat.. which I assume is a result of the flat light which you can't remedy. Perhaps some selective processing would help lift it slightly.

Nice composition but do agree a slight tweak to the shadows and contrast might lift the image.

Hi Mark,
I feel the shot could do with some selective brightening up. I appreciate that you're probably keeping it dark to retain the sky, but perhaps a luminescence mask based (or graduated filter) and some shadow lifting could have brought out details?
A little dark for me which loses the subject a little - but concept and composition are great!
Nicely composed and good textural subject matter but as others have said a little flat.. which I assume is a result of the flat light which you can't remedy. Perhaps some selective processing would help lift it slightly.
Nice composition but do agree a slight tweak to the shadows and contrast might lift the image.
Point taken, I think I overdid the contrast & black point, which I like in b&w but was too much for this. I've left the emphasis on the gate & not the church though. Here's a very quick mk.2:

DSCF0097s2.jpg

Nice light Mark, nice church too (y)

Lovely light there - and great colour in the sky.
Nice light Mark, nice church too (y)
Oh right, I didn't get it from the main thread post.
I'm glad you went with a deep DoF to allow us to take in the church properly :)
Paper
Subtle, but effective. Nice light on the church too.
I like the low sun shadow on the church. Looks very peaceful

Week 48 - Rural camera.
A bit boring but I've already taken a picture of a film camera & I couldn't think of anything else!

X1000165s.jpg

Camera, it slots right in, nice processing too (y)

Leaves, nice detail Mark :)

Leafy goodness :)

Camera
It looks good in black and white.

Leaves
Nature does have a way of showing it's beauty.

Two nice mono shots. Lovely detail in the water droplets of the leaf shot.

Camera - thats a strange place to have one, it's a bit low down on a fence.
Leaves - nice tones with the B&W. Melting ice adds to it.

Pete

Camera, it slots right in, nice processing too (y)

Leaves, nice detail Mark :)
I like your camera image and I'm intringued to know what it's recording...
camera, I like the b+w and the composition works really well.
leaves, Nice bit of detail, wondering if the colour version would give it more impact?
Leafy goodness :)
Shallow DoF and the black and white is effective on your camera, and leaves looks properly cold..!
Camera
It looks good in black and white.

Leaves
Nature does have a way of showing it's beauty.
Two nice mono shots. Lovely detail in the water droplets of the leaf shot.
Camera - thats a strange place to have one, it's a bit low down on a fence.
Leaves - nice tones with the B&W. Melting ice adds to it.

Pete

I'm trying to work out what this is (so definitely hits the brief!!)

Is this a stained glass type affair? The muted tones and very abstract composition work nicely together.

Back