Mrjols 52 for 23... Week 4 : Transparent

Week 1 : Your Aea
20230109_102124.jpg

Often perch my backside on this seat, it's less than 60yds from my front door.

Last edited:
Nice Perch Gary.

You need to link back to this thread, the link on the main submission thread appears to link to itself.

Nice Perch Gary.

You need to link back to this thread, the link on the main submission thread appears to link to itself.
I had a brain freeze, just couldn't work out how to do it. Sorted now thanks.

A nice composition that breaks a few rules - which is good :)

Oh for a person sat there with a red coat on haha!

As Nicky said like the simplicity and quite relaxing just to look at the photo

Rules,what rules?

Or someone with a nice bright umbrella lol

As Nicky said like the simplicity and quite relaxing just to look at the photo
It extremely relaxing, sitting there.
Eyes closed, listening to the sound of the sea, not to mention the seagulls screaming

Like that! Good use of thirds, and the central bench kicks things up a little. Very envious of you having that a stones throw from your front door.
I know it's week 1, so I won't mention the horizon is ever so slightly off. ;)

Last edited:
Like that! Good use of thirds, and the central bench kicks things up a little. Very envious of you having that a stones throw from your front door.
I know it's week 1, so I won't mention the horizon is ever do slightly off. ;)
Dave said it was good to break rules

Simple composition but very effective. It communicates the vastness of the space.

There's your juxtaposition shot.

Liking all the lines separating the layers, complimented by the bench and fence.

Week 2 : Incomplete

20230118_204839.jpg

Not the greatest effort but it fits the theme, walk past it everyday. Looks better at night than during the day.

Last edited:
Yep - box ticked :)

Area Lovely simple composition and nice bright shot, your lucky to live so close to such a beautiful view.
Incomplete. Certainly fits the theme.

As you say - better by night than in day. At night it has interest and it fits the theme

Your area - looks a nice, peaceful seat to watch the world go by.
Incomplete - A work in progress, I don't think I would be spending too much photographing it for fear of someone "feeling my collar"

It's a good image Gary. What's the back story ?
I work for the company behind it (steel). It's been derelict land for over 5 years, there's a sewage works to the right of it. The rumour is it's going to be a fast food establishment, won't be just the food you can smell

Your area - looks a nice, peaceful seat to watch the world go by.
Incomplete - A work in progress, I don't think I would be spending too much photographing it for fear of someone "feeling my collar"
Never bothered me, if you can see it you can photograph it, from a public space of course

Week 3 : Artificial

20230129_011258.jpg

The other half or as most would say the better half looking at her phone in bed.

Not sure about this, perhaps a bit more narrative around the shot might help.

To me, it looks like she's wearing sunglasses and the light is sunlight, but I can't find anything to back up that idea.

I'd like to hear what others think.

When I first saw the shot yesterday I was drawn to it, and wanted to know more. Sadly I found the description didn't hugely help, but that's probably my problem, not the photographer's.

I really like the aspect ratio and high contrast. In that latter respect, I am reminded of some of the work of the great photographers before WWII.

But, I find the shadow totally obscuring your wife's lower jaw rather disturbing. Overall, it seems rather... funereal?

They do say the good art should leave us feeling uncomfortable, so well done for that, and well done for trying something different.

Not sure about this, perhaps a bit more narrative around the shot might help.

To me, it looks like she's wearing sunglasses and the light is sunlight, but I can't find anything to back up that idea.

I'd like to hear what others think.
When I first saw the shot yesterday I was drawn to it, and wanted to know more. Sadly I found the description didn't hugely help, but that's probably my problem, not the photographer's.

I really like the aspect ratio and high contrast. In that latter respect, I am reminded of some of the work of the great photographers before WWII.

But, I find the shadow totally obscuring your wife's lower jaw rather disturbing. Overall, it seems rather... funereal?

They do say the good art should leave us feeling uncomfortable, so well done for that, and well done for trying something different.
Thanks for comments, the shot was a spur of the moment thing. Not enough care thought went in to it, with your comments in mind I'm going to give it another go.

Week 4: Transparent

20230204_103223.jpg

My granddaughter spotted this cat sitting in the window of a flat, or rather an old Victorian house made into flats. That's a picture grandad she goes, you cant say no to your grandkids

Last edited:
Nice kitty pic Gary.

Nice one Gary. Great spot from your granddaughter. Love the curve of the bottom of the window with the vertical of the frame. Could take the top panes being cropped maybe,?

Back