weekly MsTex's 52 - 2017 WEEK 31 - piece

Name
Kara
Edit My Images
Yes
:welcome:

Welcome to my first ever attempt at a long-term project! :runaway:

The only rule I have for myself this year is to post one photo each week - preferably from the weekly posted theme.

My goals for 2017 are 1) to practice photography more frequently, 2) to try new techniques, and 3) to have fun!

week 0 song title or lyrics
week 1 order
week 2 comfort
week 3 hairy
week 4 smooth

week 5 mineral
week 6 whole
week 7 structure
week 8 routine
week 9 number(s)
week 10 attractive
Week 11 dark
Week 12 power + reshoot
Week 13 above
week 14 evolve(d)
Week 15 hold
Week 16 smoke
Week 17 vivid
Week 18 large
Week 19 architecture + reshoot
Week 20 broken
Week 21 transport
Week 22 minimalistic
Week 23 progress
Week 24 pleasure(able)
Week 25 tiny
Week 26 face
Week 27 agriculture

Week 28 graceful
Week 29 fruit
Week 30 vehicle
Week 31 piece

Week 32
Week 33
Week 34
Week 35
Week 36
Week 37
Week 38
Week 39
Week 40
Week 41
Week 42
Week 43
Week 44
Week 45
Week 46
Week 47
Week 48
Week 49
Week 50
Week 51
Week 52

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I drew the short straw and had to work 4 12-hour shifts this weekend (basically, 12 hours on, 12 hours off). On New Years weekend. In the stat lab of an ER (I think y'all call it A&E, which is a television channel over here ... so confusing!). I will be joining in the fun this round, but not until I get some sleep tomorrow. Or is it today? I'm so sleep deprived that I don't know what day it is anymore.

WEEK 00: song title/lyrics

Blue Clear Sky by George Strait

00_song-title-L.jpg

Last edited:
My first idea didn't pan out because the weather didn't cooperate (and because I'm a wimp who doesn't like to get cold). Maybe it will be warmer when a re-shoot comes around and I can give my original idea a whirl.

This is my first time to use my new 18mm f/2 lens. I also found a cheap circular polarizer in my old camera bag and thought I would give it a try. I didn't really like the results, and I think that might be part of cause of the banding in the sky. And, it was my first time trying split toning. I think I may have overdone it....

Hello and welcome to the 52 nutters corner, that's certainly a nice blue sky, a good effort and the horses add a bit of focal interest to the image, well done.
Thanks. My main purpose for doing this 52 is to force myself to try new things and learn from my mistakes.

I like it, certainly fits the song title, very difficult to pull off all that dead space but you seem to have managed it here (y)

That's a cracking first image Kara, I love the composition boundaries pushed with the height of the horizon, it works really well to me, very vast and open sky, good positioning of the main horse too (y)

Your link on the photo's only thread isn't working, hopefully @Cobra can have a look at it/fix it when he pops on :)

It's a good place to do it - and you're obviously putting a lot of thought into how to improve. The split toning gave it a bit of an old western movie feel for me, so I quite liked it!
Fort Worth's slogan is, "Where the West begins." Even though it is a modern city, we take pride in our western heritage. That pasture is just down the road from my house - within city limits! The in-camera part isn't the hard part for me, post processing is as I'm still learning how to make my vision happen in Lightroom.

I like it, certainly fits the song title, very difficult to pull off all that dead space but you seem to have managed it here (y)

That's a cracking first image Kara, I love the composition boundaries pushed with the height of the horizon, it works really well to me, very vast and open sky, good positioning of the main horse too (y)
Thanks! I have achieved my goal of emphasizing the of the sky. I tried landscape orientation as well as using the Rule of Thirds for the horizon, but neither of those conveyed just how awesome the skies are around here (they are like this most days - with no clouds).

He came, he saw, he sorted (y)
My hero!

Great start to the challenge Kara, like the horses and good bit of blue sky :)
That horse was well annoyed with me. She later came to the fence and tried to bite me when I let her smell me.

I like the composition with the huge amount of "dead space", and I also like the processing!

Really nice start! Like the layering of the horses, the tone of the sky and the processing works well for me too. Definitely fits your song title :D

There's a huge amount of negative space.
Its in portrait mode.
There's no following the rule of thirds at all.
There's not a single cloud in the sky to break up the space or draw your eye.

And it all comes together brilliantly! I love it! A great example where all the rules are broken and yet its a great shot!

that stark horizon reminds me of round here in the Fens (UK) ...om-g are we flat...sooo much sky, yet yours is so blue (y)

I bet won't be saying that after a few more weeks of themes have been pulled :D
I'm not scared. :exit:

I like the composition with the huge amount of "dead space", and I also like the processing!
Now that I like.

Great use of negative space and the processing might not suit everyone, but it works for me.

Cheers.
Really nice start! Like the layering of the horses, the tone of the sky and the processing works well for me too. Definitely fits your song title :D
:agree: very good image
Thank you. I wasn't sure if the processing "worked", but it seems I may have find kindred spirits.

There's a huge amount of negative space.
Its in portrait mode.
There's no following the rule of thirds at all.
There's not a single cloud in the sky to break up the space or draw your eye.

And it all comes together brilliantly! I love it! A great example where all the rules are broken and yet its a great shot!
Rules are meant to be broken, right? :D

that stark horizon reminds me of round here in the Fens (UK) ...om-g are we flat...sooo much sky, yet yours is so blue (y)
I may or may not be on a covert mission to get more people to come to - and fall in love with - Texas. :cool:

ooh..i'd feel quite at home with a head full of sky like that!! it's just the heat that would kill me o_O

I'm glad you found the weather you needed for this shot, it's very good.
The breaking of conventions works really well to convey the enormity of the sky, and yes, it's very blue so spot on theme for your choice of song.
:)

I agree withy @Emja regarding the colour toning giving it a western feel. That's a good response to the theme Kara. Good luck with the TP52. You're in good company ... we're all learning.

Like this a lot, lovely tones and great use of negative space.

Can only agree with the previous comments, you really went against the usual composition rules but it works extremely well. Also like the processing you have done on it. Great start to the 52.

WEEK 01: order
I was under the weather and wasn't up to doing much, but my special honey/lemon tea was just what the doctor ORDERED.

01_order-L.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Really like the composition and focus on order, definitely fits the theme, well lit and interesting shot.

Like the relaxed atmosphere of the comfort shot.

Two good photos for the themes. Order is very a very nice composition with good use of shallow DoF, a couple of very minor nit-picks I feel it could do with a slight clockwise straightening and the colour of the inside of the cut lemon looks a little off. But that's just me being grumpy first thing in the morning, it is a good shot.

Comfort is spot on I think, good mono conversion, well lit, nice depth to it.

Back