weekly Nickbee's very late 52: final three photos added - done!

:eek: I looked at it while at work!

I know NOTHING about bodyscapes, butt the highlights seem like they could be a little brighter. Maybe? However, I love the fact that you can see the wonderful hairiness on his low back.

Looks good to me, I like the subtlty of the lighting that still retains the details. Nicely done. I also liake the "crack on" gag in your link:)

That is a brilliant take on the theme Nick - well considered and excellently lit to bring out the tuft of hair at the base of the spine. Very arty. (Jill of the @Bruja school of photography will applaud your style choice).

Very good shot and I like the artyness of it, fits the theme and if this is your first attempt at that sort of shot, hugely impressive.

if you want to crack on.
Oh dear you are really scraping the bottom (of the barrel) with that one :D
Great idea Nick, nicely presented :)

Nicely done for 'hairy', I like you different take on bodyscapes.

Really like this with the lighting just enough to show the hairs. You mention rotating in the description, does this means that the person was standing?

Well, thank you all vey much @susiejb @Bebop @Cobra @brrnd @Allan.H @Emja @Shirleyr , I'm really pleased you like the picture.

@Missycat "the person" wasn't standing but I had to rotate the image about two degrees to make the final image more balanced as the bloody amateur couldn't quite manage to lie completely flat on a footstool whilst using the remote shooting function on his smartphone. ;)

Well, thank you all vey much @susiejb @Bebop @Cobra @brrnd @Allan.H @Emja @Shirleyr , I'm really pleased you like the picture.

@Missycat "the person" wasn't standing but I had to rotate the image about two degrees to make the final image more balanced as the bloody amateur couldn't quite manage to lie completely flat on a footstool whilst using the remote shooting function on his smartphone. ;)

LOL ok thanks Nick. I now have an image that will amuse me for most of the day :D

As another who knows nothing about bodyscapes, and little about lighting stuff, it looks good to me. Thanks for going to the effort. (y)

Comfort - we all do a PABD shot every now and again, fits the theme and its another theme done and in the bag.

Hairy - for your first attempt at this kind of image, I think you have managed the task very well, great work.

Thanks as always for your comments @d00d @LC2 @Pinkbikerbabe

I know NOTHING about bodyscapes, butt the highlights seem like they could be a little brighter.

Ha! Can't believe I didn't spot that first time round.

Enough arsing about. On to week 4!

Week 4: Smooth

04 Smooth
by nickbrotherston, on Flickr

When I read the theme, my initial thought was to get some hair removed and repeat last week's shot. Then I contemplated the actual hair removal process and decided to find a girl to pose. Then, a combination partly of not wanting to do the same thing two weeks in a two and mostly of Mrs B's scepticism regarding naked women in the house ("But it's art!") forced me to rethink. I wanted to do something with a snooker table but I don't have a snooker table. I was lamenting this fact whilst doing some ironing when the idea for this struck me.

In execution it looks nowhere as good as it did in my head. I dumped the planned black backgroud for my living room floor before deciding to do it in B&W. I do realise the camera's not looking straight down, but it was the best I could do tip-toeing on the edge of a sofa whilst holding the camera at arm's length and using the other hand to hold on to the ceiling.

Last edited:
Song title, I like the unusual lighting on the Bottle it is dark but the lable is clear and works well for your song chioce.
I love the vibrant colours of the Mugshot and that they are not central to the picture.
your Hairy shot is very well done and the explanation made me laugh.
Clever idea for Smooth although your set up sounds quite precarious the resultin imae works really well

Hi, Nick, I don't usually comment on submissions after new themes have been announced, but Smooth works for me. I did a similar one of my daugher for a previous TP52 and appreciate how difficult this POV is.

Yeah, like this one a lot :clap:

Cheers.

Smooth - love the overhead shot, works for me, I also like the b&w, the only thing i find distracting is the massive shadow at the front of the image. Mind you having said that I am not sure how you would of gotten round that.

Very well done Nick - the lighting is perfect to capture the track of the iron. Looks great against the bg. Can barely imagine the precarious position you had to be in to take the shot. :clap:

Great execution on the theme, and the smooth line works so well (y)

Love the description of you taking the photo :) the things we do for this challenge!

I really like the idea, I wasn't completely sure about the angle, but I just took a look full screen on Flickr on my iPad, and it does look really effective, we'll done for thinking of that one.

Great PoV and I like the hard shadow, great photo.

Really good take on the theme for smooth and the hard lighting picks out the smooth from the creased very well. I might have lifted the background a little but it is a strong image for the theme

Hope you didn't burn your sheet :D. Nice idea shooting from above and the B&W removes any colourful distractions and allows you to focus on the irons path. (y)

Did think about doing this myself but couldn't think of a way to make it work. Looks great from above and I like the way its lined up with the floor boards although you do have the board the wrong way round;)

Wow, I was expecting a whole list of "fits the theme" so this is most welcome. Thanks @minx @posiview @Pinkbikerbabe @Carl Ayling @Paulie-W @susiejb @Emja @Allan.H @Dave70D @CliveNX @brrnd @wallyboy @sirch @foggy4ever @Missycat

Hi, Nick, I don't usually comment on submissions after new themes have been announced, but Smooth works for me.

I know your position on late posting and believe me, I am honured!

the only thing i find distracting is the massive shadow at the front of the image

Me too - could have tried a second, less powerful flash but perhaps I should have had a go at lessening its impact in processing.

Hope you didn't burn your sheet :D.

Do you think I'm stupid? I used someone else's sheet! ;)

you do have the board the wrong way round;)

There's a right way? :confused:

Back