weekly NickD's Photo52 Challenge - 2015 - Support added

A very different squirrel shot. Not under exposed on my screen.

we're very lucky to have bold squirrels down south innit :) lovely pic Nick :clap:

I like it. It's on-theme, and it's well composed. The human hand really adds to the shot and provides a bit of "story" to what's going on. Brill.

Thanks folks!

The hand was an important inclusion, most park squirrels are pretty bold, but I felt that without that proximity to a person in the frame it would lack context. I took some nuts and my 35mm, and tried to get a shot down my arm, but they're bloody quick and it became apparent that a one handed attempt was going to be fruitless. Cue long lens and stalking tourists, who seem absolutely fascinated by them.

Week 8 - Relax.

Stumped this week. I thought I had a few pretty good ideas, but for one reason or another I couldn't turn them into photographs that worked, so for the sake of allowing me to get on with the next theme I'm going for a post and be damned option. As a fallback option I grabbed a couple of shots of the little ones sleeping... Sleeping kids are relaxed... right?

It's a long exposure, with the camera on the bed, and I went with a mono, as we put them down with a small red lamp, so the original is all red tones, which I quite liked, but could grate with some. I ended up with a sepia type final version, as I felt the softer look brought it closer to the theme.

A Long Day by NickD71, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. :)

Last edited:
Hi, sleeping kids are indeed relaxed and as a follow on the parents are then relaxed too

A nice pic and the PP is very good, I like the way the eyes are slightly soft adds to the overall feeling for me

Relaxing kids give parents time to relax too.
I like it in all senses :)

Week 8 - Relax.

... Sleeping kids are relaxed... right?

A Long Day by NickD71, on Flickr

As Cobra said....the parents of sleeping kids are relaxed! :)
Lovely shot (though humoungous when clicked on!), and fits the theme very nicely.

Thanks. I'd not thought of the parents being relaxed angle to be honest, just that of the baby. :dummy1:

I found the softer the better when I was messing about with it, so nothing got sharpened, and I added a little grain too. I did worry about the darker area in the top LH corner, but no-one has picked that up so I guess it's just me.

Week 9 - Vertical.

London's latest photography cliche, but I'd never done my own so I thought I'd go and check it out. I went with the UWA, but still ended up cropping to get a more pleasing composition (to me). I found that while the really wide shots gave a greater sense of height, the lack of light lower down in the passage annoyed me a little, so I cut some of it out.

Looking Up by NickD71, on Flickr

Hi Really nice image great lines (y) works really well, nothing I can offer in the way of crit there

Hiya Nick :wave:

You are ROCKING the '52 this year mate. Great images and I'm loving the write ups.

Keep it up. :)

Hi Nick

Relax ... my first thoughts were: beautiful but the colour is wrong. Now I know your reason for the sepia effect ... the more I see it the more I like it. (y)

Vertical ... "London's latest photography cliche" ... think I've seen that view somewhere recently. Where is it? Your image is tunning! (y)

as B of B says, you are ROCKING the '52 this year.

Great vertical shot. Love the reflection of the sky in the glass buildings and nice composition.

relax - I'm guessing Tom? love the soft colours you used m'dear :) Lucky you having all those lovely vertical heights to choose in London, might be one or two in Basingrad but not as pretty lol. Another wonderful pic though, I never seem to catch pretty skies when I get time for togging :p

Vertical, blimey thats making me dizzy looking up like that!
Very interesting, there is lots going on there (y)

Hi Really nice image great lines (y) works really well, nothing I can offer in the way of crit there

Many thanks. It's all about the location I guess, if there's an image there it's yours for the taking.

Hiya Nick :wave:

You are ROCKING the '52 this year mate. Great images and I'm loving the write ups.

Keep it up. :)

Ah... You're just saying that because I've already shoehorned a cow shot in!

Thanks for the encouragement fella, are you taking a year out this time?

Hi Nick

Relax ... my first thoughts were: beautiful but the colour is wrong. Now I know your reason for the sepia effect ... the more I see it the more I like it. (y)

Vertical ... "London's latest photography cliche" ... think I've seen that view somewhere recently. Where is it? Your image is tunning! (y)

as B of B says, you are ROCKING the '52 this year.

Cheers!

It's part of the More London estate, on the south bank between London Bridge and City Hall. There's a fair few opportunities down there nowadays.

Hi Nick

Relax - I love it :clap::clap::clap:

Vertical - I love it :clap::clap::clap:

Nuff said :D

That's my kinda crit... Thanks!

Nice shot for relax Nick - all soft and dreamy :)

Cheers! I did wonder if I'd gone a bit too soft, but the more I look at it, I reckon it'll do.

Great vertical shot. Love the reflection of the sky in the glass buildings and nice composition.

Thanks! I got lucky with the sky. I spent all morning looking out of the window at work, just willing it to last until lunchtime.

relax - I'm guessing Tom? love the soft colours you used m'dear :) Lucky you having all those lovely vertical heights to choose in London, might be one or two in Basingrad but not as pretty lol. Another wonderful pic though, I never seem to catch pretty skies when I get time for togging :p

Thanks Summer! It's actually Polly, but they all look pretty much alike to me too. It's true that I'm lucky working down that way. Both this time, and for my last 52 in 2013 I've relied heavily on quick, lunch hour sorties. The light is never great at that time of day, but at a pinch I'll take what I can get.

Vertical, blimey thats making me dizzy looking up like that!
Very interesting, there is lots going on there (y)

Thanks a lot. I don't think the image quite gets across how dizzying it is, particularly bent over backwards, holding your breath and looking through a viewfinder.

It's part of the More London estate, on the south bank between London Bridge and City Hall. There's a fair few opportunities down there nowadays.

(y) Ah yes I know ... you can stand by City Hall look up between two of those blocks and see the Shard. I think.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Nick....As far as I'm concerned your "Vertical" image is the best of the examples posted this week.
Bang on theme and brilliant composition.
Hat's off to you!

Week 10 - Mouth

Ok, so I maybe didn't think about this much, but on reading the theme I knew where I was heading at lunchtime. I've seen this guy in passing but never photographed him. To me it makes for an odd image, but one that I keep looking at. I struggled for a time with composition and how much of the figure to include for context, but in the end I went for just the part pertinent to the theme, isolated using shallow DOF. For reference, it's by the little side door to Westminster Abbey.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil by NickD71, on Flickr

I see it, I see a mouth...but what is it?

It's a stone effigy that hasn't worn so well. Oddly the bust at the other side of the door is still intact. Maybe it's been restored and this one is still on the 'to do' list.

Cool photos but i've been waiting for yonks for them to load and I still only seeing 3/4 of them :-(
Still good enough to say I like them but can't stay to see the end.

Gaz

Hi, certainly fits the theme and has some nice texture in the stone, a lot of these things just erode because of the sandstone it does make for quite an interesting subject

LOL Jabba the hut yes I can see that.
However I was thinking "eye" rather than mouth TBH :D

Back