weekly NickD's Photo52 Challenge - 2015 - Support added

Medical; spot on theme and great DoF
Proverb; like it and the B&W conversion works well
Pale; great focus and DoF. Prefect timing too.
Tear; nice pattern but like to see more of the knife with the reflection
Words; like that, don't mind the sky at all. In actual fact I love the blue and white sky background to break that duo tone feel. Could do with slight distortion correction of the verticals.

Thanks! I did faff around trying to get more reflection to show, but only a higher angle let me get that, which made composition difficult. A wider knife would have helped, but that was the widest I have. Regarding Words, you're right about the distortion, but my track record of success in distortion correction led me to just accept it.

Last edited:
Hi Nick

Medical - Love this one, a nice high key shot, if I was being picky I'd like a tiny tad more space top and bottom, nothing other than that, real nice DoF :)

Proverb - Agree nice cheeky expression but the mic stand really is taking centre stage, I would have tried to reduce the blacks on it and increase them on the lady :)

Pale - Oooooo what a great capture, really nice composition and a cracking background too, the wing movement is the icing on the cake :clap:

Tear - Nice sharp detail, again a great background and a cool reflection too :)

Words - Another cracking image, would like the verticals corrected, but other than that real good deep blacks and a bright blue sky with fluffy clouds, nice one (y)

Hi Nick ....I'm miles behind with my comments but I've looked right through you thread, it's hard to find one to single out as I think they're all superb, all spot on for the theme's, interesting, varied, super shots, all in all a great thread :clap:

Thanks for popping in. I'm only just starting to claw my way back with crit too.

Hi Nick

Medical - Love this one, a nice high key shot, if I was being picky I'd like a tiny tad more space top and bottom, nothing other than that, real nice DoF :)

Proverb - Agree nice cheeky expression but the mic stand really is taking centre stage, I would have tried to reduce the blacks on it and increase them on the lady :)

Pale - Oooooo what a great capture, really nice composition and a cracking background too, the wing movement is the icing on the cake :clap:

Tear - Nice sharp detail, again a great background and a cool reflection too :)

Words - Another cracking image, would like the verticals corrected, but other than that real good deep blacks and a bright blue sky with fluffy clouds, nice one (y)

Cheers Dean. Selective faffing with the blacks never occurred to me... Wish I'd thought of that!

Week 32 - Support.

I'm committing early for this one, as I'm in for a tough day at work tomorrow, followed by packing and prep for a festival from Thursday (please let Friday's theme be something music related!), so If I don't go with what I've got in camera, I'm going to roll over again into next week.

I looked at a few different ideas yesterday, bridge supports, inanimate things, so today I thought I'd go street. I went looking for folks with sticks, crutches etc, and stumbled on the scene below. The background was pretty busy in terms of colour, hence the mono conversion, and I also felt it added a little grittiness to the image. I only had my kit lens with me, and shot at full zoom, as the guy looked pretty handy and I didn't fancy being too close if he saw me and took exception. :confused:

It's on theme as far as I can see... personal trainers provide support, both with guidance and encouragement (so I'm told).

Help the Aged by Nick, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:
Hi Nick. That is a fabulous capture. Definitely on theme. sharp and, as you say, the bg just adds to the character and grittiness. (The only thing I would have done differently is had a cab by my side with it's motor running ready for quick exit). Brilliant :banana:

Original interpretation, and it works, really nice candid capture. (y)

Support, a very gritty photograph there and well captured moment. I even light the wider dof as it adds to the feel of the photograph .

Cheers.

Great image, to me the word support runs so true because I know how much people in martial arts support each other. Well composed and works so well in black and white!

Hi Nick, bit slow catching up. I don't think I'd fancy poking a bloody big camera at them either :) Nice find and matches the theme. Where did you go snooping to find it, could have been worse I guess :)

Hi Nick. That is a fabulous capture. Definitely on theme. sharp and, as you say, the bg just adds to the character and grittiness. (The only thing I would have done differently is had a cab by my side with it's motor running ready for quick exit). Brilliant :banana:

Original interpretation, and it works, really nice candid capture. (y)

Hi nick ...what a great find .... smashing capture of the action in the guys face ...a very fitting and unique take on the theme.

Support, a very gritty photograph there and well captured moment. I even light the wider dof as it adds to the feel of the photograph .

Cheers.

Great image, to me the word support runs so true because I know how much people in martial arts support each other. Well composed and works so well in black and white!

Well spotted and perfect timing too. Agreed the B&W treatment suit the scene.

Hi Nick, agree with the rest really, great timing and well caught expression, I'm thin king the B&W conversion is also helping with the background :)

Great candid for Support Nick, and I'd have been ready to run too :oops: :$ Glad to see you are still with us :clap::clap:

Hi Nick, bit slow catching up. I don't think I'd fancy poking a bloody big camera at them either :) Nice find and matches the theme. Where did you go snooping to find it, could have been worse I guess :)

Many thanks everyone. :)

I'm never comfortable with candid shots, but I'm always quite pleased with the results. Given the subject matter it just had to be B&W.

Roll up, roll up... for a partial catch-up of varying and dubious quality! :D

After a crazy period of festivals, seminars, insane workload and more teething children I'm way behind, and each new theme leaves me further and further adrift, so in the interests hanging in there I'm going to put up as far as I can, and shall try to get the rest together over the coming weekend at Brands Hatch... I'm polishing the shoehorn as we speak.

I know mega catch-ups are a pain in the arse, and wont be at all put out if people pass me by, or comment an a single shot, or whatever. I've not looked at a thread for ages either, and in the interests of catching up with crit I may well do the same unless I suddenly find a bit of free time (I do get to pop in on my phone, but don't feel I can get the proper effect of a photograph an a small screen, I really need to get to a computer more often).

Right... (Inhales deeply)...

Week 33 - Religion.

Pretty much what it means to me at the moment.

Killing in the name of... by Nick, on Flickr

Week 34 - Geometric

Found down on the South Bank.

1 London Bridge by Nick, on Flickr

Week 35 - Fashion.

I hoofed it all the way up to Savile Row at lunchtime in the hope of finding some serious style, and what do I find... Sweatpants!

Savile Row by Nick, on Flickr

Week 36 - Chilled.

It's a lolly... it's frozen... how chilled do you need?

Fab by Nick, on Flickr

Week 37 - Sound Reshoot.

Ray Dorset at Weyfest... Sounds of the 70s.

Ray Dorset by Nick, on Flickr

Week 37 - Special.

A guest at a recent seminar, not only is Kojiro Sensei a very well respected Kendoka, but he's also a Chado Master. On the Sunday afternoon he treated us to a glimpse of the tea ceremony, as would be performed away from the Teahouse. After performing the ceremony to 3 volunteer guests, he humbly asked if he could take an hour to serve tea to everyone who would like to try. Special man, special opportunity.

Tea Ceremony by Nick, on Flickr

Week 38 - Despair.

Aw c'mon... we've all sat down without checking first?

Despair by Nick, on Flickr

Thanks for looking! :)

The tea ceremony image is the winner for me (y)

Hi Nick. I like them all but special mention for:
Geometric - nicely spotted and taken
Special: Extra special - beautifully taken :clap:
Despair - great humorous take on the subject and how absolutely perfect for the theme.:clap:

Hi Nick I caught these last night but didn't have time to comment, what a great catch up ...agree with Carl on the three favourites, composition for Geometric is a 'wow' one. Special ...you can almost sense what a special person he is just by looking at that one, very atmospheric :clap:and Despair is brilliant ,,,,best lighthearted one for the theme by far :)

Hi, religion is a really well thought out image, maybe not the best picture but the sentiments behind it can't be faulted
geometric excellent great view
Fashion again simple but says it all
Sound love that Gretsch for that alone worth it
despair very amusing

an excellent catch up :clap:

Excellent catchup Nick

Religion ... subtle.
Geometric ... you do these things so well
Fashion ... great idea, with a kinda 60s feel.
Chilled ... spot on.
Sound ... yes I can hear that geetar sound.
Special ... special moment, like the way you've included the sticks in the corner.
Despair ... what a laugh ... the things people come up with! Grainy and poorly focused but ...

Despair - made me laugh, thanks

Thanks!

I was kind of stuck for that one, and it was one of the first ideas that came to mind, so I just went with it.

The tea ceremony image is the winner for me (y)

Cheers!

It's a bit of a grabbed shot, with about 50 people crammed into out tiny Dojo. I'd have liked to have had a bit more space around him, but I was trying to lose people from the background a few who were in western clothes, which really spoiled the scene. It was the best crop I could manage.

Hi Nick. I like them all but special mention for:
Geometric - nicely spotted and taken
Special: Extra special - beautifully taken :clap:
Despair - great humorous take on the subject and how absolutely perfect for the theme.:clap:

Thanks!

I like geometric a lot myself, but that's much more about the art of the architect than the photographer. The designer does all the hard work, then I just rock up, point a device at it, and take all the credit... Great! :D

Hi Nick I caught these last night but didn't have time to comment, what a great catch up ...agree with Carl on the three favourites, composition for Geometric is a 'wow' one. Special ...you can almost sense what a special person he is just by looking at that one, very atmospheric :clap:and Despair is brilliant ,,,,best lighthearted one for the theme by far :)

Cheers!

The tea ceremony was great. It was the second I've been lucky enough to be present for, the first with a different master. I just wish I could have had a clear dojo to take the shot. Our dojo is beautiful, with shoji screens, our armour on stands, sword racks, drums, shrine etc... I could have had a lovely image had it not been for all our guests!

Hi, religion is a really well thought out image, maybe not the best picture but the sentiments behind it can't be faulted
geometric excellent great view
Fashion again simple but says it all
Sound love that Gretsch for that alone worth it
despair very amusing

an excellent catch up :clap:

Thanks!

I have better shots of the 7/7 memorial on my Flickr from a few years ago, but I knew what I wanted to shoot as soon as the theme was drawn. Again I rushed, as I was on lunch, and couldn't wait for people to move as I had the luxury of the last time. I love that memorial, just the robustness of the pillars, the fact that they can still cast a shadow on behalf of those they represent. That and the simplicity.

That Gretsch is beautiful, it had a great tone. He can still kick it out for an old fella too... There's hope for me yet!

Excellent catchup Nick

Religion ... subtle.
Geometric ... you do these things so well
Fashion ... great idea, with a kinda 60s feel.
Chilled ... spot on.
Sound ... yes I can hear that geetar sound.
Special ... special moment, like the way you've included the sticks in the corner.
Despair ... what a laugh ... the things people come up with! Grainy and poorly focused but ...

Cheers!

Geometric - As above, I do them so well because they're so easy to do... wait for the designers & architects to ply their craft... than step in and point a camera at it! To be fair, getting the damn thing as close to symmetrical was a bit tough.

Despair - It's not great is it?... but the idea carries it through.

Great set to catch yup with there Nick.
I'm going to plump for Religion as being my favourite of the group, for it's poignancy.
Despair made me chuckle, great idea and the mono pp works well.
I really like the geometric shot at London Bridge too, I must have a look around and see where you were standing (even if it's 1/2 a mile in the wrong direction going home).

Too many to catch up on Nick, but you're doing great to hang in there fella.

Don't forget to sign up for the end of season meet. It sounds like you could do with a break and it would be good to see you again. Not long till January now! (y)

Back