NickDs TP52 for 2021 - Week 52 - Showcase... Bring on 2022!

Snappers choice
I agree, a wider shot would have maybe been a better composition, but sometimes you can only work with what you've got.

Very true!
My 10 year old is just starting out with an old X-T10, and I think the first thing I ever taught him was that if you have more than one lens and choose to go out with just one, it will always be the wrong lens. :ROFLMAO:

Week 16 - Out and About.

I've been stuck in the studio every non working hour this week, mixing, so this couldn't have been a worse theme for me, so this is a bit of a PABD just to keep up.
I've had a couple of evening walks to clear my head, and to be perfectly honest this is the best I came away with. Personally I like the empty, minimalist aspect of it, but I do get that its primarily a photo of nothing.

Onwards and upwards!

By Moonlight by Nick, on Flickr

You've got to do what you've got to do Nick eh?
I too like the empty minimalist aspect of it. Don't be so hard on yourself, it's not nothingness, it's quite a subtle scene.
Good work

You've got to do what you've got to do Nick eh?
I too like the empty minimalist aspect of it. Don't be so hard on yourself, it's not nothingness, it's quite a subtle scene.
Good work

Thanks Iain, I appreciate the kind words!

Week 17 - Shapes

I've been up to the neck in work all week, but knew exactly what I was going to do... but I also knew that I wasn't taking a camera into that environment.... so we have a phone pic. I don't have a great camera on my phone, as having cameras it's not usually a priority for me, but I tweaked it a bit in Snapseed, and managed to get it up to at least PABD level. :ROFLMAO:

Shapes by Nick, on Flickr

You never know if you're rock climbing when you might need a yellow boomerang, so here are four of them. :)

Far too good for a PABD. Love the colours and great idea. I hope there's a nice big soft shape at the bottom for him to all on to.

Week 16 - Out and About.

I've been stuck in the studio every non working hour this week, mixing, so this couldn't have been a worse theme for me, so this is a bit of a PABD just to keep up.
I've had a couple of evening walks to clear my head, and to be perfectly honest this is the best I came away with. Personally I like the empty, minimalist aspect of it, but I do get that its primarily a photo of nothing.

Onwards and upwards!

By Moonlight by Nick, on Flickr

Well for a PABD shot it's a great one, very nicely done.

That is a very original take on Shapes, good work!

Thanks!
I guess it's not so obvious unless it's something you're into.

You never know if you're rock climbing when you might need a yellow boomerang, so here are four of them. :)

Cheers!
The yellow boomerang is an important part of any climbers equipment! :ROFLMAO:

Far too good for a PABD. Love the colours and great idea. I hope there's a nice big soft shape at the bottom for him to all on to.

Thank you!
The floor is all padded... In this case though I grabbed one of the staff, as they move so much more gracefully than we do and I figured I'd get a better body 'shape', so the chances of him falling off a relatively simple problem like that are pretty low.

Well for a PABD shot it's a great one, very nicely done.

Cheers!
I guess the PABD feeling came from it being a phone shot, and the limited control and lower quality that comes from that. I did briefly consider taking a camera, but then I though of all the chalk dust in there, and the fact that it would have stopped me from climbing that session, and dismissed the idea.

Week 18 - Numbers.

Now, where's that shoehorn?... Aw c'mon, it's got a number in it, a quite famous number too in this context!

I've had this book on back order for a little while, by my annoyingly talented friend Blue, and finally it came late last week. A pictoral tour of the abandoned and derelict towns along Route 66 in Arizona, which once vibrant and proud, have fallen into disrepair as the highways took travellers away from the old route.... lost in the name of progress. She has a way of making decay look beautiful, and I'm really enjoying it.

Breakfast by Nick, on Flickr

Last edited:
I wouldn't call that a shoehorn - fits the theme for me. I like the addition of the coffee and the lovely wooden texture - it has a relaxed feel.

As the others have said Nick, fits the theme quite nicely.
I do enjoy the composition and colour tones in the image, very pleasing on the eye.

Really like the image and clicked through to find out more about the story. Glad I did.

Looks like an interesting book, quite a promotional picture.

Numbers
Most certainly not a shoehorn. Loving the arrangement, the tea pot has a really interesting pattern. The tray and table/work top go together nicely.

I wouldn't call that a shoehorn - fits the theme for me. I like the addition of the coffee and the lovely wooden texture - it has a relaxed feel.

Thanks!
I was going for chilled. The Astia simulation was almost there without any PP.

My biggest dream ever was to ride through Death Valley and Route 66 on a trike, a cool shot for the theme and not a shoe horn.

Cheers!
A friend of mine (and coincidentally a mutual friend of the author) did that a couple of years ago. He and his wife rented a couple of Roadkings and did the lot... Jealous... who, me?

As the others have said Nick, fits the theme quite nicely.
I do enjoy the composition and colour tones in the image, very pleasing on the eye.

Thank you!
I did move the different elements around a bit, but the arrangement here just seemed the best to my eye. The tones are untouched Fuji.

Excellent idea for the theme and a personal connection too

Thanks!
I killed two birds with one stone, I got my 'numbers' submission, and I had a pic to announce it's arrival with on Facebook in the interests of raising awareness.

Route 55 perfect for the theme. Love the backstory and the composition - looks like you're settling down for a good read.

Cheers!
I was settling down for a good read.... but I had to make another coffee as that one had gone cold by the time I'd got the picture right!

Really like the image and clicked through to find out more about the story. Glad I did.

Thank you!
It's probably a bit of shameless pseudo-promotion, but I'm happy with how the shot came out.

Fab flat lay! Book sounds really interesting. What a cool project! Really great image

Thanks!
It's an interesting read, and beautifully presented. I'm quite envious of the adventure that it must heve been to put it together.

Looks like an interesting book, quite a promotional picture.

Cheers!
I had half planned what I was going to do when it arrived, but then the theme was drawn and I realised that it would fit.

A13 - Trunk Road to the Sea.
Let's see if *anyone* get's that reference !

Crikey that takes me back!

Numbers
Most certainly not a shoehorn. Loving the arrangement, the tea pot has a really interesting pattern. The tray and table/work top go together nicely.

Thank you!
It's an ancient Moka Pot, battered and tarnished, but for some reason that just makes the coffee taste better. The background is actually the kitchen floor, as it seemd to work better with the tray than the worktop did, and I figured it could pass as a worktop if I didn't give the game away.... Damn!

Week 19 - Toys.

KInda direct this time. I'm a little limited by what I have kicking around the house, but I did what I could with what I had,

Brick Rock by Nick, on Flickr

Brill. Particularly love the roller skate shoes!

Nice bright plain background sets off the subject matter well. Theme delivered!

Nice setup shot. Like the low eye-level angle. Let me guess, would that be The Who with Pete Townshend smashing up the guitar and Roger Daltrey's curly hair?

cZ0U8qU.gif

Love your toy shot - I like the composition, lighting and depth of field. Reminds me of music festivals - I wonder if there will be any this year?

Brill. Particularly love the roller skate shoes!

Nice bright plain background sets off the subject matter well. Theme delivered!

Thanks!
Lego can do no wrong, and that particular character is brilliant. I bought these guys to do a stop motion animation video for one of our tunes, but I keep putting it off!

Nice setup shot. Like the low eye-level angle. Let me guess, would that be The Who with Pete Townshend smashing up the guitar and Roger Daltrey's curly hair?

cZ0U8qU.gif

Cheers!
Acctually I never considered who it might be, although now you mention it 'Townsend' does actually have a very 'Entwistle' facial expression.

Love your toy shot - I like the composition, lighting and depth of field. Reminds me of music festivals - I wonder if there will be any this year?

Thank You!
I really hope the festival scene comes back strongly... Now Brexit has destroyed what was the last real revenue stream for original bands, having rendered European tours unviable, the festivals are the only real way we have of clawing back a few quid.... plus I'm fond of them as a punter too.

Toys
Even with the figures you have managed to convey the action. Well imagined and delivered.

Not a fan of Lego pictures but bang on for the theme.

Cheers!
It wouldn't be my first choice either, but sometimes you have to go with what you've got.

Toys
Even with the figures you have managed to convey the action. Well imagined and delivered.

Thanks!
I think the style of the characters really help.

That's a well put together picture and the DOF works well too (y)

Thank you!
I did try a version with all the characters in focus, but it didn't work as well as letting the drummer drop off a little for some reason.

Week 20 - Artificial.

Yeah, I know they'll claim it's not artificial, but they would, woudn't they? :ROFLMAO:

Looking at it now, maybe it's a little dark, but I wanted that old school still life feel to it, to counter the silliness.

Imposter by Nick, on Flickr

Great idea. I used to love the Smash adverts.
I agree it feels a little dark, but you might end up with blown highlights if you raise it too much... perhaps?? Maybe could selectively raise the shadows?

Great idea. I used to love the Smash adverts.
I agree it feels a little dark, but you might end up with blown highlights if you raise it too much... perhaps?? Maybe could selectively raise the shadows?

Thanks!
Ah, but if I raise the shadows you can see that my background isn't that black! :ROFLMAO:

Lol.. I love the composition - the spuds look like an audience :D

Is the biggest potato trying to stop the "Smash" from escaping by securing the lid?
I think everyone of a certain age will remember the figures from the adverts along with the catchline.

Lol.. I love the composition - the spuds look like an audience :D

Thanks!
They do, I'd not picked that up at the time, my idea was that the Smash was hiding among the potatoes and peeking out to see if the coast was clear.

Is the biggest potato trying to stop the "Smash" from escaping by securing the lid?
I think everyone of a certain age will remember the figures from the adverts along with the catchline.

Cheers!
Again, my idea was of the Smash having been hiding among the spuds and was peeking out, but I like that interpretation. The ads were one of the classic campaigns, I didn't even realise they still sold it until I found this in my FILs cupboard.

Good old Smash, I can’t even remember the last time I tasted that, perfect choice for the theme and something a bit different ...well done it made me smile.

Thank you!
Neither can I, and to be honest I'm in no hurry to remember. :ROFLMAO:

Back