weekly Nortdog's TP52 For 2014 - Week 27 Rich

Time - love the star trail shot. Night photography is hard, but I think this looks good.

Swirl - unusual shot, but it's well done. I like the detail in the drill bits.

great shot here - was scratching my head to fit it to linked though. :banghead:

Perefect composition, detail, point of focus, DOF, colours in the BG.

I even think the base adds, by amplifying the detail and the shallow DOF you have here. (I wouldn;t mind a bit more DOF if possible, no exif so can;t see what aperture you were at).

You can tell how sharp you've captured this by the detail in the drill bits. The purpley reflection on the upper bit almost looks like the glow of heat from drilling. Nice image

Hi, nice idea for swirl and the perspective works really well and does the hint of colours.

I'm one for clean surfaces and appreciate the one you have works with the drill bits but I'd like a clean metallic surface.

Cheers.

Ive gone for a bit of a safe option this week with a necklace, but wanted to push it a bit by not concentrating completely on the chain, or links. I enjoyed using the close up lens last week so went for the same approach this week! I know the lighting may not be to everybody's taste but I wanted to pick out some shape and the way the stones were cut rather than have bright, even light across the frame. cheers for looking guys.

Last edited:
I like that you have focused on one pair of stones, can't say I'm over-whelmed by the green-coloured ones though, they look a little, er, seasick? :eek:

Sorry Martin but I can't disagree more with your comments of the green. It compliments the blacks and whites in the rest of the image beautifully. And talking of blacks and whites - you've got exactly that. The full scale of shades which is excellently accentuated by the deep blacks on the right through to the light up right hand side. The curve of the subject and shallow DoF works well also. I really like this one.

Really liking the composition on this one, nice lighting but I personally would have liked to be able to see a link.

You've done a good job on the lighting of the stones and a nice focal point.

Hi Adam .... hope you don't mind me mentioning this: I thought I was looking at two interlinked pieces of gearbox or something then re
Spot on again for me ..... Colours, composition, focal point..... I really like it (y)(y)

:agree: :banana:..... glorious.

Like it. Very moody lighting and the colours are nice and subtle.

Composiiton, something, hmmm, can't make my mind up. Might havr another look later.

Cheers.

I like that you have focused on one pair of stones, can't say I'm over-whelmed by the green-coloured ones though, they look a little, er, seasick? :eek:
Thanks Martin, haha ye the colour isn't to everybodys taste.
That's really nice Adam, super composition, really like the lighting and DoF, focus point is spot on for me my eyes are led into and through the picture, trying to find something I don't like - Nope, really like that :clap:
thanks DK!
Sorry Martin but I can't disagree more with your comments of the green. It compliments the blacks and whites in the rest of the image beautifully. And talking of blacks and whites - you've got exactly that. The full scale of shades which is excellently accentuated by the deep blacks on the right through to the light up right hand side. The curve of the subject and shallow DoF works well also. I really like this one.
Thats very kind Peter, thanks very much!
I really like this picture. It took me a few seconds to register what it was, but it's crystal clear and I love the comp.
Cheers Simon
Spot on again for me ..... Colours, composition, focal point..... I really like it (y)(y)
Thanks Susie, its nice to hear im getting a better hit rate with composition.
really like it the dof works well, lovely composition (y)(y)
Thanks Judi
Linked - lovely composition, I also like the way you have chosen to light the necklace. The stones are a nice shape and lovely colours, fits the theme good work.
Thanks Mandy
Hi Adam .... hope you don't mind me mentioning this: I thought I was looking at two interlinked pieces of gearbox or something then re

:agree: :banana:..... glorious.
Thanks very much David, I tried picking a small section out so it wasn't as much of an obvious shot so looks like it worked!
Like it. Very moody lighting and the colours are nice and subtle.

Composiiton, something, hmmm, can't make my mind up. Might havr another look later.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy
Swirl - good detail and a interesting take on the theme

Linked - Not to sure on this one All I can see is the stones the chain is really dark or is that my laptop?
Thanks Craig, I did think that myself at the time regarding the chain.

Great idea for swirl though not sure if the surface the bits are on is a little distracting

I couldn't think of any play on words ideas for this weeks theme so in the end decided to go for a steps pic. I've been trying to think of the best looking steps I could find and settled for these, the newly refurbished town hall steps in Barnsley. I took this on my way home from work, and was just in time to get some shots with some nice warm afternoon light. About 5mins after this, thick cloud came over and washed out any detail in the sky and completely changed the look!

Another good angle on the steps Adam (y) Don't know if it was possible but I would have liked to see the clock tower more on the thirds to the right of the image, giving a little more space to the left of the Town Hall :)

Hi Adam

crikey...Don't recall Barnsley looking that good :) It's got steps , a good sky,some nice light on the building :)....think I agree with Andy about cropping a little from the RHS

Nice work - I see more than one Step though. ;)

Great light - nice work keeping all the verticals upright, nice low POV too.

I like the RHS as is I think. cropping would loose the blue sky which balances with the grey clouds, and also cropping would shorten the steps.

Hi, see above comments really I think they are right about the crop

Wow this bears a remarkable resemblance to the Parkinson Building at the University of Leeds where I work.

Nice image. You've been blessed with some nice light and the angle you've taken it at provides a good view of the architecture. I've not a problem with the RHS building as it provides a stopper and some scale.

I was after a nice landscape shot for this weeks theme but ive not got the time to visit the location for what ive got in mind and didn't want to settle for something else (landscape wise). Second idea was this little feller, who is a regular in my garden and knowing where he usually goes I set up and waited. I only had to wait about 10mins and he was there, so a few slow movements, (and some more waiting!) later managed to get this.

A pleasant image Adam, like the dof (y) just shame about the broken branch being in there :)

Nice squirrel shot, good to see a bit of environment around them.

Super job getting the eye contact there.

Back