weekly Nortdog's TP52 For 2014 - Week 27 Rich

I like this. A good sense of motion and as been said the positioning of the mirror is an added detail that helps the image. Super sharp as well. Heck that car whas done a few kilometres! My crit is towards the grey object in front of the car. I feel it looks like something on a wall of a garage (plus given the lighting) rather than in traffic.

Good sense of movement and the reflection adds interest, not sure about the outside though

I like this. A good sense of motion and as been said the positioning of the mirror is an added detail that helps the image. Super sharp as well. Heck that car whas done a few kilometres! My crit is towards the grey object in front of the car. I feel it looks like something on a wall of a garage (plus given the lighting) rather than in traffic.
Ye I agree, it was took in a garage due to weather being horrible during the couple of days I could shoot this week and it was always dark and grey outside so I compromised and took this inside for some better light/dry!

Ye I agree, it was took in a garage due to weather being horrible during the couple of days I could shoot this week and it was always dark and grey outside so I compromised and took this inside for some better light/dry!
Thumbs up for the result then Adam. Still impressive.

Ye was took in a garage. I did a long exposure, think it was two seconds, and used a remote shutter.

this sense of speed image interests me.

So, Adam, was the car moving at all? even a few inches at a two second exposure might give that speed effect but the camera would of course need to be attached to the car.

Or am I miles out and the pic's been 'shopped?

Whatever ... very well done.

this sense of speed image interests me.

So, Adam, was the car moving at all? even a few inches at a two second exposure might give that speed effect but the camera would of course need to be attached to the car.

Or am I miles out and the pic's been 'shopped?

Whatever ... very well done.
Yes the car was moving, it was just rolling in first gear (the garage is quite long). I used a suction mount for the camera, I got it from here:
http://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/hague_sm1_car_camera_suction_mount.html
Once it was attached I composed the shot then manually focused on the inside of the car. Set exposure then get in the car and take the shot with a remote shutter release. Hope that helps!?:)

Hope that helps!? ... yes it does.

Thanks for sharing. :)

I like the idea but I think it would have been better had it been shot outdoors, the wall in front and ceiling lights spoil the illusion for me. The composition is spot on otherwise and the exposure is good, quite difficult when shooting white cars.

Sense: That really is a nice picture....THe sense of speed is tangible and the refelction of the driver a stroke of genius....I cant fault this one as all..

also....Has a really clean and hi-tec feel about it....Well done Adam (y)

Hi Adam

cracking take on the theme , thought the square thingy in front of the car looked a tad odd but would never have guessed it was a static shot in inside your garage.....love it :clap:

This week was a bit lot of a struggle for inspiration for me:sulk:. Ive decided to go with this as in my head i can very loosely make it fit the theme. Ive gone for people rushing to get home amongst the hustle and bustle at the end of the day :)

light trails
by Nortdog, on Flickr

I get the end of the day reference Adam, but did you flip the photo, or do they drive on the wrong side of the road over t' hills in Yorkshire?

I'd go with it for the theme, daylight ending :thinking: Light trails look good Adam (y), sky looks a little noisy, I'm certainly no expert, but I've heard the term 'banding' used, not sure if that's what's causing it though :thinking: :)

Traffics going wrong way though :thinking:, hope its abroad :D

Edit- crossed posts with Elaine :D

Last edited:
When I first saw this I thought - that doesn't look like Sheffield and then spotted the comments above about the lights being on the wrong side of the road :)

I get the link to the theme but only after the explanation tbh. Photo wise it certainly a good shot and I'm pleased to see some colour in the sky. So many of these that I see just include a black night sky which adds little interest for my taste.

Thanks for the comments guys and I agree, not one of my best weeks by a long shot, I certainly stretched the theme! Looking forward to fri now and hopefully coming up with something better.
When I first saw this I thought - that doesn't look like Sheffield and then spotted the comments above about the lights being on the wrong side of the road :)

I get the link to the theme but only after the explanation tbh. Photo wise it certainly a good shot and I'm pleased to see some colour in the sky. So many of these that I see just include a black night sky which adds little interest for my taste.
No it's not sunny sheffield! It's at a holiday apartment in Spain that my father in law owns that we go to, it was shot about oc

Oct, I thought getting some crit on a pic to see where I could improve would be better than playing a joker. I'm the same with the sky, much prefer some detail instead of just black. :)

It's a nice shot and meets the theme for me. I like the colours, the starbursts and all of the lines, the subtle ones as well as the lights.

HI Adam
Ending....I like light trails...this one hits the spot in most ways , solid trails , star bursts & a little color in the sky :) Slightly noisey in the lighter sky area....can't see what ISO you are using though....a high ISO might explain the noise ?

Ive fell behind slightly this week due to being really busy and when i have had a minute i couldnt think of anything for the theme!! So in the end ive settled for this, i know not an original idea but didnt fancy having to get the crow bar out twice in two weeks so played it save! On the plus side it did give me a chance to play about with lighting, and i can never have too much practice at that! Viewing it on here it seems to look a tad soft but the original looks fine so not sure whats happend there! I will catch up with comments soon too so apologies if ive not got round to you yet.

IMG_7528
by Nortdog, on Flickr

Well composed, very well lit. The rrflection rescues it from floating in that sea of black.

Good job....(y)

Well composed, very well lit. The rrflection rescues it from floating in that sea of black.

Good job....(y)
Thanks Graham, Ye I tried to light the surface a bit just to try and ground it so it wasn't floating.

Back