Phil Bennett's 52 for 2016 - Stone Added

Very nice Phil, the depth of field really isolates the subject!

Was this one of the many men sitting by the side of the roads with snakes? I was in Sri Lanka in December and saw many of them by the road sides, I refused to stop though as I don't agree with it!

Im liking your last 2 wildlife images, will be looking out for some more in the future

Very nice Phil, the depth of field really isolates the subject!

Was this one of the many men sitting by the side of the roads with snakes? I was in Sri Lanka in December and saw many of them by the road sides, I refused to stop though as I don't agree with it!

Im liking your last 2 wildlife images, will be looking out for some more in the future
Along those lines Lee, the guy brought it along the beach, so I walked over from my Sun bed to have a look.I don't agree with what they do either, but it was an opportunity that presented itself which probably won't happen again. Plus I got to photograph something which is cool.

Phil

What's not to like? its a Cobra after all :D

Cracking shot Phil (y)

Hi Phil...

That chameleon is a stunning shot. Wonderful lighting, DOF choice and focus spot on for me (even though he's making eye contact with the wall behind himself!) Really crisp shot with fantastic colours. Only downside to it is he's not very camouflaged against that wonderful black background!!

Dangerous is super and if it weren't for the excellence of the previous image, I'd say it is amazing. But because of the colours etc., it just lacks something compared with Camouflaged. It's still a great shot though, just doesn't have as much going on in terms of DOF, tonal range and the lighting, whilst complementary, isn't jaw-dropping. I don't mean to be negative about a wonderful picture though! Problem is you've set your bar so high ;)

Dangerous.
WOW.....Yeah, that'll do it!
Unusual too for Chris @Cobra to pose in such an official manner ;)

Dangerous.
WOW.....Yeah, that'll do it!
Unusual too for Chris @Cobra to pose in such an official manner ;)
If I'd have known, I was being "taken" I'd have put a bow tie on (y)

Absolutely hate snakes and this fits the theme of being dangerous. I would not have been around to take a photo? A superb image.

Hi Phil :)

Happy - Another great idea, nicely set out, good DoF and well lit, nothing not to like :)

Captive - Wow, really well lit, great composition and brilliant detail, good background too - love it :clap:

Dangerous - An old image but perfect for the theme, caught at just the right angle and moment :)

Hi Phil,

Camouflage is an amazing shot. I love the composition and lighting. Great stuff :D

Dangerous - Another great shot, I cant stand snakes! Fair play for getting that close!

Danger you are a far braver man then me no chance I'd have been anywhere near there.

Nice DOF and great composition

Well after watching this weeks episode of Vera on catch up last night, and this pub was featured in it, I thought it "Topical" to go a photograph it. As its one of South Shields' oldest pubs, I give it some Olde Worlde processing.
Voted the best real ale pub in South Tyneside 2015.

Topical.jpg by Hamerrockopuss, on Flickr

Phil

I saw it on Vera and thinking it looked a nice old style pub. Didn't know at the time that it was so well known. Very original thinking about the choice of subject and processing. Maybe crop out the part lamppost on the left and clone out the modern car tucked down the driveway at the side. Like it.

That conversion is certainly very effective and I like the retro-topical idea, well done (very slight nit-pick is possibly the car peeking round the corner but OTOH perhaps that is also topical)

I agree with Carl about the crop. Bold processing is a personal choice, nice to see some!
I do like the POV but can't help feeling it perhaps needs "standing up" to remove the converging verticals a bit.

I agree with Carl about the crop. Bold processing is a personal choice, nice to see some!
I do like the POV but can't help feeling it perhaps needs "standing up" to remove the converging verticals a bit.
Brian, I took the pov as it was the same as what was shown on the Vera episode, but I hear what you're saying.

Phil

don't know what Vera is ... but I really like this imposing old building on sloping ground. Good detail, effective pp.

Cool shot. I quite like the converging verticals - they add to the slightly confusing perspective, as if the whole building's somehow sinking back into the street. As for the processing, it's supposed to make it look like an old photo and it does, so job done.

I like that love the pp you've done on it but would tend to agree about the verticals needing straightening slightly

Hi Phillip, like this photo, just started catching up watching Vera that the wife recorded. Good processing

Hi Philip - that's a good photo and well processed to achieve the end image. Yes, you could have corrected the distortion from the lens, but I don't think it would necessarily have made it stronger - just different. It's basically just a good shot and presented well.

I love your POV - was the manhole cover difficult to remove?

Hi Philip - that's a good photo and well processed to achieve the end image. Yes, you could have corrected the distortion from the lens, but I don't think it would necessarily have made it stronger - just different. It's basically just a good shot and presented well.

I love your POV - was the manhole cover difficult to remove?
Tilting screen on a Fuji XT1 is my friend Paul

Phil

Hah! A bit more exotic than my fence sitting robin Philip - well done. Lovely DoF, beautiful colours and nice and sharp. Great take. :clap:

Very nice Phil, :)

Where was this just out of interest?

It certainly pops out of the shot, great crisp shot and nice colours.
Would it have been worth selectively using some noise reductions on the background? Dunno, I quite like the look as it is, just a thought / question.

Back