Monthly Posiview's 2013 ETC thread - December Dome (ish) added and project FINISHED...maybe :)

Hi Andy, I wasn't going to comment on your portrait until I'd done mine, but it's taking a while!

Like Kelly I can't work out which I prefer. On balance probably the one without your nose; I think maybe it detracts from the minimalist nature of it.

I think it's very clever. So different in fact that's it takes a bit of getting used to, in a good way :)

Andy, I like what you have done with the joiner effect photo, it may not be as challenging as some of them but then maybe that's the challenge, to not overthink it ;) :D

Not decided on which self portrait I prefer yet, I think at the moment, it is the one with the bit of light on the nose so it makes it have a bit more definition but then I'll look at it later and change my mind :LOL: I like that you have followed the brief though to do something different as I wasn't sure how people would interpret it

Hi Andy, I wasn't going to comment on your portrait until I'd done mine, but it's taking a while!

Like Kelly I can't work out which I prefer. On balance probably the one without your nose; I think maybe it detracts from the minimalist nature of it.

I think it's very clever. So different in fact that's it takes a bit of getting used to, in a good way :)

Thanks. I took loads of photographs with the flash in leads of different places but me in the same spot. I was amazed at how different I looked with the flashes in different places.

Thanks for the FB (y)

Hi, all, well I've had a busy day smashing glasses for my 52 :D Thought I'd have a go at reflection. I've done it before but never managed to crack it.

I took around 80 photographs, reviewed them in LR and was just about to trash them when I thought I'd have another look. Must have missed this one.

Entered the settings into DOF calculator and DOF came up at 0.276cms!

I've done a bit in post, but not much, levels adjust, slight sharpen and a quick Content Aware to get rid of a stray eye lash.

Cheers all.

Reflection by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Last edited:
I prefer the sky in the b/w one although they both are good.

They just look a little flat?? if you know what I mean. :)

So I chose an easy one for Sequence...:bonk:

Taken at the ju jitsu club I instruct at.

I thought, just import the photographs into PS and blend. NOT.

Did best I could be paint brush, but too much overlapping.

Cheers all.

NB: just seen the missing leg...ah, well, too late now...or should I say, few too many Cobras :D

Sequence (attempt) by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

:naughty:

Another Sequence. Taken in Leeds today.

I had loads of ideas for this theme: football, frizbee, kite, climbing ladder, and many more, but just couldn't seem to get time to do them.

Anyways..while in Leeds today I snapped a few. Hand held, quiet mode so I had to keep pressing the shutter button. Even in quite mode the lady heard me. I wasn't going to post as it's a rather boring attempt; but while viewing I noticed that she looks at me in the centre frame :D

So, here's another (as usual best viewed in Flickr Lightbox)

Cheers.

Sequence 2 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Hi Andy, I like the eye reflection; very very clever. If I had to crit (and I do have to!!), I'd say the skin tone looks a touch washed out? Fantastic work though!

360 pano's, I'm not finding a huge amount to hold my interest, but they're both very well executed.

From the hip, great capture! Tells a story all on it's own!

First sequence, I think is a little confused at the end with too many images on top of each other.

Reflection 2 is my favourite. Not as technically difficult as the eye one, but I think it's a lovely shot, well suited to B&W.

Sequence 2, yes, spot on :). Tiny crit would be that the pink dress on the right is a touch distracting, but other than that it's perfect :)

Last edited:
I really like your reflection , there is a surprising amount of detail showing through.

I like the concept of the sequence , its a shame there is so much overlap, I wonder if it may have worked better with one less shot in the blend during the throw

Like the 'Hip' shot, good timing and well caught.

Prefer the second 'sequence' shot. very clear and you even manage to include all the shadows! The the right half of first shot is quite confusing trying to figure out which legs belong to which body part! :D

Cheers, sometimes grab shots work well.

I might have another go at sequecne 1 with one removed (y)

Hi Andy, I like the eye reflection; very very clever. If I had to crit (and I do have to!!), I'd say the skin tone looks a touch washed out? Fantastic work though!

360 pano's, I'm not finding a huge amount to hold my interest, but they're both very well executed.

From the hip, great capture! Tells a story all on it's own!

First sequence, I think is a little confused at the end with too many images on top of each other.

Reflection 2 is my favourite. Not as technically difficult as the eye one, but I think it's a lovely shot, well suited to B&W.

Sequence 2, yes, spot on :). Tiny crit would be that the pink dress on the right is a touch distracting, but other than that it's perfect :)

Cheers, Mark, you know I was so focused on the eye I neglected the skin in refleciton 1.

Yeah, the panos aren't what I wanted - TBH, not a technique that grabbed me.

Hop shot, grabs do work!

Sequence 1, yeah, I'll remove one and repost.

Reflection 2, it's a cracking building.

Sequence 2, I did try and clone the women out as I wanted room for them to move into, but the cloning was just a mess.

Cheers and wonder what August will bring :)

Hi Andy; merge is great, but a little little don't you think? Did you have to crop it right down, or are you trying to hide something!!!??? As to crit, I think only that it'd be nice to have the surface colours/reflections on the bubble extend onto the figure inside. I'm guessing that could be achieved with blending modes, but wouldn't know for sure without trying it.

Perfect posing though :)

Fisheye, perfect in concept and execution of the technique, but yes, where did all that noise come from? I know you shot it at ISO800, and only have a cheapo camera, but there is an awful lot of it :eek:. I think if it was deliberate, it's actually worked against you because it's made the shot look more digitised rather than SOOC with a real fisheye lens.

Last edited:
Your bubble needs a couple of dice in there as well ;)

Your fisheye is very noisy, other than that it's great, almost like a cartoon.

Andy, I couldn't resist a go at your shot; I'll take it down if you're not keen :)

Could still do with some more work on the collar, but otherwise I think this gives it a COMPLETELY different feel :)

Who's at the Door?:

9487227875_448ffeca60_c-Edit.jpgOn Flickr

Last edited:
:eek:

Always able to depend on you to come up with something amusing and unusual shot, Andy :)

:D Now for the indepth critique in me :) eyes oof, too much noise for my liking and finally the wayward strand of hair is distracting :LOL:

But seriously excellent take and very apt for the theme. :clap:

Cheers, I never really 'got' fisheye photography so opted for an amusing interpretation :D

Hi Andy; merge is great, but a little little don't you think? Did you have to crop it right down, or are you trying to hide something!!!??? As to crit, I think only that it'd be nice to have the surface colours/reflections on the bubble extend onto the figure inside. I'm guessing that could be achieved with blending modes, but wouldn't know for sure without trying it.

Perfect posing though

Fisheye, perfect in concept and execution of the technique, but yes, where did all that noise come from? I know you shot it at ISO800, and only have a cheapo camera, but there is an awful lot of it :eek:. I think if it was deliberate, it's actually worked against you because it's made the shot look more digitised rather than SOOC with a real fisheye lens.

Cheers....bubble, yeah, saved it too small :bonk: I usually save the layered 'photo, but forgot.

Fisheye, as above, taken with Ipad and pushed to the max :D

Andy, I couldn't resist a go at your shot; I'll take it down if you're not keen :)

Could still do with some more work on the collar, but otherwise I think this gives it a COMPLETELY different feel :)

Who's at the Door?:

9487227875_448ffeca60_c-Edit.jpgOn Flickr

Like it. Scares me and I'm her dad.

Cheers.

I love that Andy! Like Stan, it took me a while to figure it out (in fact on my phone I didn't get it, which is why I've waited to comment), but it's absolutely spot on.

Crit, uuuum…..needs a bit more Bolognese sauce!!!

Ooops, missed the new scale shot. Great concept, but there's something about it that not quite ringing true. It's very very subtle, but I think it's to do with the lighting, or maybe just WB, on the fingers not quite matching the shoes. It's very very close, but just a touch off I think.

By the way, your daughter seems to have a lot of shoes. That should not be allowed and you MUST stop her, because you're storing up huge problems for any future husband. Girls must be taught at an early age to loath shoes, for the sake of mankind.

Not a bad start.

It looks a bit odd around the bottom of the nose and mouth but that could just be the texture.

Back