weekly Richard's Weekly Photo for 2014 (Week 5 - Smoke)

Hi Richard

nice low key lighting makes it look really classy , like the use of DOF as well...enough to make out what it is without overpowering the shot :)

Thanks chaps. Nailed it with the 'guitar'. I decided to do a crossover on the theme of play so well spotted. Looks like a guitar, is actually a game controller from 'rock band'
this is also why I went very low key - it was the only way I could make cheap plastic and aluminium look moderately stylish!

I tried much the same with our Wii Guitar Hero but just couldn't get it quite right :(. So well done from me (y)

I'm not out yet! Just not had time to do the processing... of very much else really. I hope to look at some of your superb photos this weekend :)

First up is Close(d).

Next we have Bubbles!

close works well - liking the bold upright of the sign, and the table and chair positions definately say closed.

bubble is interesting, possibly crop a bit of the top and both sides (only a bit), to bring out the bubble part, which would also leave even less of a clue as to what it is.

Close: not sure I get this one.

Bubbles: it's an interesting idea. A crop in on the bubble container would help a lot I think.

.. don't know what to say about CLOSE ...

but BUBBLES is outstanding.

[it is a coffee peculator isn't it! ... anyway, if it's what I think it is ... absolutely no crop required]

Hi Richard, so why have you failed in the past?

Linear is excellent. really draws the eye through the shot.
Play, also very good, but that strap thingy sticking up is a little distracting.
Close(d) Nice lighting, I struggled to see the link with the theme initially.
Bubbles, is that an hob top espresso thingy? You've done well to get the bubbles, they look very small! I would maybe crop a tiny bot off the top to lose the little edges creeping in.

I DO get close(d)....I like the nighttime lighting. I think it would have worked for "play" too.
I had an evening walkabout in Nottm for the end of my 2013 52 not sure why it didn't cross my mind to go up to the playhouse....

I think the critic of Bubbles has been said above. Closer and abstract might have improved the composition.

Nice ideas for the bubbles, I can't quite work out what the thing they're in, is, but it's cool. Closer, as others have said, may have worked in your favour.

Ello folks
Big delay again from me. I'm enjoying the themes but really struggling with the forum time at the moment.

I'll reply individual too, but I just wanted to put one out for my Close theme. I was out to hopefully find a shot of a shop closing down for the day, but beer and fun kinda got the better of me and I totally missed that one. So I went with Closed - and the representation was the chairs and tables stacked up as you would outside a closed bar!

close works well - liking the bold upright of the sign, and the table and chair positions definately say closed.
bubble is interesting, possibly crop a bit of the top and both sides (only a bit), to bring out the bubble part, which would also leave even less of a clue as to what it is.
Thanks, I know Close was a bit more obscure but you got my exact thought train!
.. don't know what to say about CLOSE ...
but BUBBLES is outstanding.
[it is a coffee peculator isn't it! ... anyway, if it's what I think it is ... absolutely no crop required]
Thanks for your feedback, you are damn close about the subject of bubbles.

I DO get close(d)....I like the nighttime lighting. I think it would have worked for "play" too.
I had an evening walkabout in Nottm for the end of my 2013 52 not sure why it didn't cross my mind to go up to the playhouse....
Thanks
It's not actually that well lit up there at night, which is a shame as there is a superb dome sculpture type thing.

Close - Not really doing anything for me I'm afraid
Bubble - I'm not sure what it is but the image just feels a little too grey for me.
Thanks for the feedback.
Sadly not sure how I would make a grey thing any less grey!
Close: not sure I get this one.
Bubbles: it's an interesting idea. A crop in on the bubble container would help a lot I think.
Bubbles, on theme, but I'd prefer a tad closer.
Thanks. I did try to get close but my lens kept steaming up!

I'm gonna keep answering posts. But for now here is Smoke

Nice ideas for the bubbles, I can't quite work out what the thing they're in, is, but it's cool. Closer, as others have said, may have worked in your favour.
Close - well spotted and a different take on the theme1
bubble - like others have said it would be interesting to see a tighter crop!
Thanks folks
I think I'm going to be having another go at bubbles - it's not like I don't have regular opportunity!

Bubble is cool - not a clue what it is though :LOL:
I wasn't sure what it was either ..... But lots of lovely bubbles.
Cheers! It's a stove top espresso maker - italian moka pot. Makes a lovely brew :)
Close is a good idea but perhaps it lacks a little to enable a good connection with the topic.
I agree there, it was a fair stretch at best :)

HI ya

Close...different take on the theme which is refreshing , wonder if you needed to get more of the stacked chairs in shot ?
I did actually crop some out, looked better with them but i mooked it up and blew highlights under one of the lights big style! Chrome chairs...

Lovely fits the theme nicely, I like it plenty of smoke.

Thanks! I got lucky, saw the theme shortly after setting off to a chinese new year meal.
Nothing else I tried this week topped it tbh!

Hi Richard, so why have you failed in the past?

Linear is excellent. really draws the eye through the shot.
Play, also very good, but that strap thingy sticking up is a little distracting.
Close(d) Nice lighting, I struggled to see the link with the theme initially.
Bubbles, is that an hob top espresso thingy? You've done well to get the bubbles, they look very small! I would maybe crop a tiny bot off the top to lose the little edges creeping in.

Hi Marsha
My past failures have been a combination of laziness and a lack of available time. I'm not always in a position to do much posting and it feels that is really important to give my fellow 52'ers some feedback after they take the time to comment on my thread. So I end up doing a few weeks and then when I miss one simply stop. Not this time though, I'm enjoying having a theme to shoot for a week, even if I don't pull anything out the bag it is still getting me thinking.

Hi Richard I too seem to be very late to your thread for which i apologise :(

Lines.... I like your lines very much :)
Play.... a very nice picture of your guitar I like the crop :)
Close... I took a while for me to get it but good take on theme :)
Bubbles... Your bubbles are excellent :)
Smoke....:agree:with Craig and there is plenty of smoke there (y)(y)

Sorry only just joining your thread, all great images so far. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Back