Rob's TP52 2016 edition - Week 9 & 10, TLW & Spiky added

Nicely set-up Rob and excellent bit of lighting for that dramatic effect.

Yes, great interpretation and a very nicely put together image.

I like the use of lighting good interpretation of the theme

Morning Rob

Old: Nice image I wonder if a black and white image would help with the grey sky?

Metal: A good fit to the theme with the metal fence and the pier.

Captive: Hmm I shouldn't like it ( I was in Tenby when the match was on....) but I do like it great idea

Thanks you everyone for taking the time to comment! Apologies for the late response, I've been busy celebrating my 30th this week and I've barely had a minute to myself! I'll ensure I return the favour over the course of the weekend :)

Week 3 - Captive

I cant say I'm massively please with my image this week. I really struggled to get my creative juices flowing! I knew what I wanted to achieve with this kind of setting but it didnt come out quite as well as I had hoped. Anyway, for miniature, I've taken a picture of miniature model next to another miniature model :)

Week-3-Miniature by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Really good image Rob, I felt the same, had ideas but felt they would be lacking.Your image is well framed and lit.

Nicely thought out to give the viewer size contrast as well as the visual one of seeing detail of both ends of the same car. :clap:

I really like it Rob, more so because of the subject I have to say. Lighting and focus all good. Hard to see what you could have done other than sit them next to the real thing :)

Nice image Rob. Two different sizes to give an impression of scale, the lighting focuses your attention on the subject. Looks like Group C?

Really like this image Rob.

Really good image Rob, I felt the same, had ideas but felt they would be lacking.Your image is well framed and lit.

Nicely thought out to give the viewer size contrast as well as the visual one of seeing detail of both ends of the same car. :clap:

Nice lighting on the cars, and you have the smaller car nicely sharp with the DOF falling off nicely to the back one.

I really like it Rob, more so because of the subject I have to say. Lighting and focus all good. Hard to see what you could have done other than sit them next to the real thing :)

:agree: looks spot on to me Rob, perfect for the theme.

You've done a nice job there Rob. (y)

Great picture and spot on theme

Great interpretation and love the composition and lighting - great image - well done :)

Thank you all for the feedback :) Upon reflection, this image hasn't come out too badly... The only thing I would like to change is the foreground. I have a reflective black tile for shooting 1:43 scale models but unfortunately its too small to fit a 1:18 scale model on so couldnt be used!

@LC2 (Tim) - What is group C? I'm not sure what you mean sorry!

Last edited:
Week 4 - Captive

For this week's theme I had a bit of a dilemma when I started post processing my image. I've barely had time to sit down and edit any photos they past week or so (I've been celebrating my 30th Birthday!) Yesterday, I went to watch the Battle of Nantwich, a battle re-enactment set in the 1600's. It was a great trip out with some impressive (and somewhat loud!) demonstrations of fire power from that era. I captured an image of one of the actors which really slotted nicely into this week's theme and was happy with that....Then I started trawling though my backlog of photos I've taken over the last two weeks and found another couple of images I feel could go nicely with the theme. I've opted out from putting them in as my main image though because technically, they were taken in week 3! Images below

Week-4-Happy by Robert Evans, on Flickr

And the other images I contemplated submitting -

Canal 30th Birthday (5 of 44) by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Canal 30th Birthday (7 of 44) by Robert Evans, on Flickr

I was please how these came out despite being very drunk at the time! :beer:

Thanks Mandy, I had a great surprise - a weekend on the canal with friends & family...It had been planned for months and I knew absolutely nothing about it! It was a great way to celebrate :)

Hi Rob.
I feel that the birthday 7 of 44 image sells captive to me more than the re-enactment shot. There is no shame in posting archive shots (and hell, 1 week is hardly archive!) we've all done it. It looks like hell ;) being captive in a 7' by 72' floating cell.

Group C is the Sportscar championship from the early 80's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_C
But actually on second thoughts, they appear to have the air vents on the front wheel arches, so they must date from after Mark Webbers flip on the mulsanne straight (which was 1999).

Hi, the first one for me nice and sharp and good colour can't stand those re enactments though

Liking your reenactment photograph. FAntastic focus and nice colours, Looks like a great birthday surpise.

Hi Rob I really like number 2 image - 5 of 44

Too me the image sells the theme Happy to me more. It's not as sharp as the 1st image but I think that adds to the picture and theme.

Some very happy-looking people! Great colours in the re-enactment shot. (y)

Love the group shoots inside the boat they give a really nice feeling of happiness

Great enactment image, Rob, but I find myself preferring the candid of the two people,
purly for the off the cuff laugh :)

Fabulous shot Rob - such vibrant colour and super reflections off his headwear. Of the remainder, I quite like #3 (7 of 44) for the POV and the perspective.:clap:

Happy birthday Rob! Love the first shot - good interest and great colours! Smashing!

Hi Rob.
I feel that the birthday 7 of 44 image sells captive to me more than the re-enactment shot. There is no shame in posting archive shots (and hell, 1 week is hardly archive!) we've all done it. It looks like hell ;) being captive in a 7' by 72' floating cell.

Group C is the Sportscar championship from the early 80's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_C
But actually on second thoughts, they appear to have the air vents on the front wheel arches, so they must date from after Mark Webbers flip on the mulsanne straight (which was 1999).

Aahh, The model I've photographed is the Bentley Speed 8. It won Le Mans in 2003. I'm lucky enough to see the genuine race car pretty regularly. It looks a lot smaller in real life than I ever imagined!

Hi, the first one for me nice and sharp and good colour can't stand those re enactments though

Liking your reenactment photograph. FAntastic focus and nice colours, Looks like a great birthday surpise.

Hi Rob I really like number 2 image - 5 of 44

Too me the image sells the theme Happy to me more. It's not as sharp as the 1st image but I think that adds to the picture and theme.

Some very happy-looking people! Great colours in the re-enactment shot. (y)

Love the group shoots inside the boat they give a really nice feeling of happiness

Hi Rob that looks like smashing surprise ....no wonder you were happy :) iI do really like the original shot though, you've caught his smile absolutely perfectly, a super colourful shot.

I really like the composition, colours and expression of the first shot. Nice timing in the second, too!

Happy belated birthday.

#1 for his smile and uniform and #3 because I want to be there :)

Cheers.

Much prefer your original Happy shot, well caught, spot on focus and very colourful.

Great enactment image, Rob, but I find myself preferring the candid of the two people,
purly for the off the cuff laugh :)

Fabulous shot Rob - such vibrant colour and super reflections off his headwear. Of the remainder, I quite like #3 (7 of 44) for the POV and the perspective.:clap:

Hi really liking your first 'happy' shot. well caught!

Thank you all, and thanks for the Birthday wishes! I've got some money to spend on some more camera gear :D

Hi Rob No1 is a great shot love the colours, I’m assuming that smile is a victory smile well captured, I also like No3 great angle very nice B/W(y)

Thanks Michael. It was actually taken just before the "battle" commenced. It was a matter of he turned to talk to someone behind him and cracked a laugh just as I had lifted the camera up to my eye. Right place at the right time for a change :LOL:

Back