Rob's TP52 2016 edition - Week 9 & 10, TLW & Spiky added

Week 0 - Old

I took this shot of Castell Coch in Cardiff on Boxing Day....Prior to even knowing the theme for week 0 of this years challenge! Fits the theme pretty well I think!

Week 0 Old by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Last edited:
Week 1 - Metal

So, first theme up is "Metal" and my subject for this week's theme is Colwyn Bay's old and dilapidated Pier. I have fond childhood memories of this place, I used to walk passed it almost every day after school. It has ended up being caught up in a political ownership battle which has dragged on for many years now. In the meantime, it has sat unloved thus slowly being reclaimed by the act of mother nature. The Victorian mega structure has now fallen way beyond economical repair. As a result, this cast iron giant is now fenced off for obvious health and safety reasons.

Week 1 Metal by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Last edited:
Such a shame when historic buildings are allowed to rot away like this (but crying out for a bit of urbex).
You've captured some great colours there, the picture tells it's own story so absolutely right to have the fence in the shot like that.
:clap:

Hi you have chopped the top off the weather vain in old, which is a pity its a lovely old building
Metal... such a s shame to see the old pier go to ruin, good choice for the theme

Hi there,
#1 looks nice castle, the style seems german, think composition should be considered on another visit, imho:)
#2 it is so sad to see these piers go beyond repair, i can see what you have done with pic, imo maybe a pic close up to fence with manual focus, just to get pier in pic:)

Old, wonderful building; pity you could not get a little closer to remove the trees.

Metal, can't decide on the sign or not :thinking: Nice moody, if a little noisy, sky.

Cheers.

I like it (metal that is). Nice and moody and wouldn't have worked nearly as well otherwise.

Week 0 - Old

I took this shot of Castell Coch in Cardiff on Boxing Day....Prior to even knowing the theme for week 0 of this years challenge! Fits the theme pretty well I think!

Week 0 Old by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Great shot of a lovely looking building :)

Week 1 - Metal

So, first theme up is "Metal" and my subject for this week's theme is Colwyn Bay's old and dilapidated Pier. I have fond childhood memories of this place, I used to walk passed it almost every day after school. It has ended up being caught up in a political ownership battle which has dragged on for many years now. In the meantime, it has sat unloved thus slowly being reclaimed by the act of mother nature. The Victorian mega structure has now fallen way beyond economical repair. As a result, this cast iron giant is now fenced off for obvious health and safety reasons.

Week 1 Metal by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Real shame about the building, seems to be happening a lot at the moment, especially to old piers.

But the shot is great and really emphasises how empty and disused the building is.

Both great takes Rob. The bridged walkway leads the eye in nicely to that lovely arched entrance to the castle and you've managed to retain detail in that lovely bright sky too. Like the perspective of your Metal shot and the 2-in-1 features contained in the shot. I may have been tempted to crop a little off the LH to exclude the jumble at the end of the fence line but a lovely take for all that. :clap:

Castell Coch is on my "must visit" list as soon as the weather improves. Looks a lovely place to photograph.
I like your shot of the pier, moody skies bring a lot of atmosphere to the shot.

Hi Rob and welcome along. Ike the castle shot I love old historic buildings. I found the trees on either side are a distraction with the trunk moving in and out of the shot. I would either move in closer and out and try to get more of the trees in.

Metal, agree with what most others said about the sign and also the moody sky.

Hiya Rob, Really like your image, strong leading lines drawing you into a foreboding beach, looks like a scene from a horror movie, good placement of the sign too. Good luck completing you 52

Thanks Everyone for your feedback & encouragement :)

I hadn't realised I'd cropped the top off the castle, it was there before I straightened up the image :whistle:. I'll be more careful and pay more attention next time.

With regards to the sign in week 1, I tried a composition without it too but I felt the sign is a crucial part of the picture. Due to how far the fence has been set up from the pier, when I shot it without the sign, the pier looked a bit lost within the picture. The writing on the sign clearly denotes why the fence is standing imo ;)

Very nice shots No1 beautiful.... No2 love the mood and colour in the sky.

Both great shots in their own way. If I had to choose I think it would be the 'old pier' for the colour and depth.

Metal - I love the colours and the engaging composition - makes me want to jump over the fence and explore - a cracking and unusual landscape!

Thank you everyone :) I think I may have saved the colour profile incorrectly on my Metal entry. It looks incredibly different on my laptop when compared to my phone! May have to double check that

Hi Rob

Like the low perspective on the castle shot, but it's a shame the tip of the tower is clipped.

"Metal" I might have cropped in closer to lose some of the sky and sand, and not see the end of the fence; especially as the sky is rather noisy.

Welcome back Rob

The castle shot definitely says Old.

But it's Metal fence I love ... the writing's sharp, the pier behind is sharp, plus the sky's dramatic.

Old certainly fits the theme just a shame you missed the top of the vane, perhaps a different composition?

Metal, now I really like that :clap: very atmospheric and perfect for the theme (y)

Hi Rob

Old - Now that is a very nice castle, I like how you have the ramp and path leading the eye into the entrance and the trees framing the shot from both sides :)

Metal - Liking this one, the Pier sitting parallel behind the herras fencing works really well, also liking the composition with the sign in the foreground and the lines of the fence and pier converging in the distance... nice stormy sky to round it off too :)

Great start to your challenge

Thank you guys :) I'm gutted I missed the steeple off the castle - what a schoolboy error! That's what you get for not using your camera as much as you should....these little things go out of the window :oops: :$

Week 2 - Captive

I've spent all weekend thinking about how to approach this theme, and after sitting down and watching the FA cup this afternoon, it gave me an idea to try and potray how captivating Sport can be...Queue second part of my idea... Reliving that amazing moment Wales beat England in the Rugby World Cup. I was INCREDIBLY lucky to witness the game from the front row in Twickenham Stadium and that night will hand on heart go down as on of my best best memories EVER. It took me days to come down off the high of that famous win!

Anyway, I've tried to recreate that captivating feeling every sports fan is caught up in when your team produce an incredible result by sitting in front of the TV watching the game again... Not quite as nerve-racking as that glorious night but it still makes me hugely proud :)

Week-2-Captive by Robert Evans, on Flickr

Like the brightness and darkness together L, and good subject matter :)

Nicely captivated there Rob (y)

A truly awful shot Rob, just for the subject!! :bat::D

Seriously, very nicely done, very sharp.

Rob Hi, liking your thought process, overall a great picture.good lighting and details

Great alternative take on the theme there Rob.
The lighting on you works well, would have been nice to have lost the floor bottom rhs back into the shadows, but I suspect that wasn't possible.
So :clap:

Back