Ross 52 for 2018 Thread 'Week 31 - Short'

Love these fishy pix! No3 is the shot for me :)

As you say, not a lens everyone will like (or can use too often), but like you and Allan, I think #3 is the pick. I think because the leading line draws you to the subject. (person and bright spot).

I quite like the second one, it's the light (bright) and dark, with the reflection in the windows.

Week 26 - Elegant

Been a tough week to get out and take photos this week. Wasn't really sure what to do with elegant and spent ages thinking about what I could do. Then I went to work on Tuesday and it was sports day at the school I was at, meaning the parents were about. It's an expensive school. and the carpark was a kind of homage to everything over 50 grand. Now if I'm not mistaken this is a 1954 250 GT Coupe, I think. I may be wrong. But it doesn't get much more elegant than a 50's Ferrari. Oh and this was the 1 day I didn't have my Camera with me so this is a phone shot, but luckily my phone shoots RAW so could do a little PP on it. Not my strongest image but it will do for me. Also included is a Porsche 911 Targa 4S, and an Aston of some description.

Elegant lowres.jpg

Not for submission but here they are from the front on the phones wide angle lens.

Wide Lowres.jpg

Better res shot on Flickr as usual.

Thanks for looking.

Im not an expert on cars I don't even drive but think the Ferrari is indeed very elegant and I might have just concentrated on that

#3 for me. then #1.
Photos don't have to be technically perfect to tell the story and #3 really shows of the elegant lines of the Ferrari.
These shots also show we don't need a huge DSLR to get good images (though not sure my Moto G3 is up to this quality).

Week 27 - Derelict

Loads of shot of empty buildings in London this week but nothing that really jumped out at me. So today I went back to visit the folks for a day. Took my camera and too the dog out on Greenham Common, which is now a disused US Airforce base. Some cool big bunkers and also an old fire fighting model plane. Annoyingly if I wanted to shoot the bunkers, I had to shoot through a fence so not many usable shots there. The 'fire plane' was cool but couldn't get close enough for an interesting shot. So I've chosen this:

Derelict superlowres.jpg

This is the fence surrounding the derelict bunkers. I think the fence and signs could also do with some tlc. It is processed deliberately grainy. I wanted to give it a sort of post apocolyptic-ish style vibe.

Please have a look on Flickr as i had to save this on the lowest possible quality in order to upload it to the forum.

Thanks for looking.

I like the angle it makes it look very imposing, I take it it’s still a no go area.

Elegant, love the Ferrari rear in the used shot, but personally I prefer the front shot even with the slight blur.

Derelict, Looks much better on flikr, I also like the processing and angle, certainly got the post apocalyptic feel.

Hi Ross, the bench and central composition work well for Rural, with the layers of blue sky, clouds and trees, and then the textures of the bench and the grassy foreground.
Bright- so you got your fisheye, then :) It's a fun series of images and my favourites are #2 and 3#, with the swooping lines leading nicely to the bright areas and figures in the middle of the scene.
Elegant - what a lovely collection of cars and I think the first image really shows off the racy lines. Nicely done with the challenges of bright light and reflections and also using your phone camera (y)
Derelict - you got what you were aiming for; the tall fence looks forbidding and the diagonal and the gritty processing all work well for me :clap:

Derelict
A very minor thing and I'm not really sure you could have done anything it, but I would like to see the vegetation gone in the bottom left. It would give a cleaner image, it would make the photo more graphic like. This all makes it sound as if I don't like the photo, but i do really, it's nice and simple and the danger sign let's you know to keep out.

Rural - Nice colours in the sky, complimented by the dry grass. Very simple composition which works. Maybe you could have used the clouds better - who knows.

Bright - all very different, my least fevourite is the last one. 1st image has something showing in the top corners.

Elegant- 2 out of 3 is not bad for being elegant. Not bad with a phone.

Derelict - does look much better on flickr. To my mind it does not really fit the theme, but I can understand your reasoning. Could you have included the bunkers through the fence?
Processing works well.

Derelict
A very minor thing and I'm not really sure you could have done anything it, but I would like to see the vegetation gone in the bottom left. It would give a cleaner image, it would make the photo more graphic like. This all makes it sound as if I don't like the photo, but i do really, it's nice and simple and the danger sign let's you know to keep out.

Unfortunately this was the only real angle i liked and I just couldn't get rid of all the foliage. Once I got rid of one lot, another encroached in a different corner. lol.

Rural - Nice colours in the sky, complimented by the dry grass. Very simple composition which works. Maybe you could have used the clouds better - who knows.

Bright - all very different, my least fevourite is the last one. 1st image has something showing in the top corners.

Elegant- 2 out of 3 is not bad for being elegant. Not bad with a phone.

Derelict - does look much better on flickr. To my mind it does not really fit the theme, but I can understand your reasoning. Could you have included the bunkers through the fence?
Processing works well.

I did try to get a few with the bunkers in but could not get the sign and the bunkers in together which is what i really wanted to do. I took a couple of the actual bunkers but there was so much in between me and them that i just didn't like them. I'll stick one below so you can see what i mean.

der1.jpg

der2.jpg

TOO MANY FENCES!!!

Week 28 - Home

Blimey. Who'd have thought I'd still be going at this point.

So this weeks image has a couple of home-y meanings for me.

1. Ron always makes himself at home right in the middle of my bed every night.
2. Since my girlfriend left me a few weeks ago, this, in my eyes now makes my home a home.

Home lowres.jpg

Better quality on Flickr as usual.

Thanks for looking and thanks for the critiques, it's really helping me improve and take time over photographing stuff. Keep them coming :)

Thanks

Hi Ross

Just one thought on your bumker photos, perhaps being a bit further back to actually have the fence in focus more and the bunker still showing may work.

Home
Loveley shot of your dog at Home. Sorry to hear about your girlfriend leaving.

Pete

Well the dog has certainly made himself at home can’t argue with that

It is a pity about the fences in the bunker shots, as Pete said maybe going back a bit and including the fences might help.

Great shot for Home, agree it looks much better on Flickr, soft as hell on the forum. Hope you get your girlfriend situation resolved well for you.

Hi Ross,

Derelict - Yes you obtained the look you were looking for :) Oddly though, I actually prefer the shot with the prominent OOF green bars and the second fence. I can't say exactly why, and there's no accounting for my taste...

Home - Definitely better quality on flickr. Why don't you embed the flickr version rather than posting the image to the forum servers. It's what a lot of us do.
Liking the golden look to the shot. It kind of says golden hour to me.

Week 29 - Round

Getting in early this week so no other Londoners can steal my subject. Lol. The biggest roundest thing in London.

While waiting to take this photo, i had a nice long chat with a Japanese man who was out with his camera too. He spoke no English and I don't speak Japanese so we spoke through an iPhone app to translate between us. He wanted to learn how I was taking my photos and he even had a go with my 10 stop. Lovely chap.

30 second exposure using a Hoya 10 stop filter. First time successfully using the filter, and using the tripod in central London.

Colours were a bit uninspiring so its a mono conversion.

Round Lowres.jpg

Higher quality on Flickr as usual.

Thanks

Week 29 - Round

Getting in early this week so no other Londoners can steal my subject. Lol. The biggest roundest thing in London.

While waiting to take this photo, i had a nice long chat with a Japanese man who was out with his camera too. He spoke no English and I don't speak Japanese so we spoke through an iPhone app to translate between us. He wanted to learn how I was taking my photos and he even had a go with my 10 stop. Lovely chap.

30 second exposure using a Hoya 10 stop filter. First time successfully using the filter, and using the tripod in central London.

Colours were a bit uninspiring so its a mono conversion.

View attachment 130844

Higher quality on Flickr as usual.

Thanks
Excellent shot Ross, like the long exposure and the B&W. I was going to do the much smaller version in WSM, but I fear I might end up with a sense of wheel envy!:dummy::)

Well done for beating everyone else I was sure we might see a couple of these, the long exposure really emphasises the roundness, and a great wide view of the area. Interesting point about the chat you had, technology can be a wonderful thing.

That's a great use of the old ND! Fab shot!

Bloody tourist trap thing... ;)
Good take on it though, going with the ND. I wonder if the same effect could be achieved using the blending method that Tony Northrup made a video about some years ago.
The one critique I do have is that the image leans in at the edges a bit.

Home, nice take, your dog looks really at home.

Round is a really good take on the London eye and spot on for the theme, good thinking.

I really like your shot for round Ross. It looks great in b&w and the longer exposure really adds to the image

Round
It's big and round, I like the movement of the wheel and the black and white processing. I think a small crop on the left or right would improve the composition.

Ross

Round - nice effect with the 10 stop, I had thought of doing something similar but with some wind turbines, but not much wind was about and I found some other subjects. Every thing appears nice and sharp apart from what is creeping into the foreground at the bottom. I would have liked a bit more foreground but there was something in the way and you did not have any latitude to move as the eye is shot straight on. Well done for using a tripod and not getting locked up.

Pete

Ross

Round - nice effect with the 10 stop, I had thought of doing something similar but with some wind turbines, but not much wind was about and I found some other subjects. Every thing appears nice and sharp apart from what is creeping into the foreground at the bottom. I would have liked a bit more foreground but there was something in the way and you did not have any latitude to move as the eye is shot straight on. Well done for using a tripod and not getting locked up.

Pete

Yea, someone had moored a bloody boat in front of it. How inconsiderate. The very top of the boat is the blur creeping in under the right side building. I didn't like having a big blurry boat in the fore ground, hence the close to bottom crop.

Week 30 - Cooking

Bit of a throwaway week for me this week. Only had last night to take a photo, so had a play at midnight and took this. Composition is naff. Subject is naff. But it's a submitted picture in the allotted week, which is what my aim was when I started.

Cooking lowres.jpg

Thanks for looking. Better quality on Flickr as usual.

It’s food prep so part of cooking DoF is good and at least some thoughts gone into it so works for me.

Got to be honest and say I do not like the focus, but bang on theme, colours are good, exposure good, composition good so you hit your target and for me made an acceptable photo. :)

Well done for getting a shot in on time, I'd have given it more DoF but it fits the theme nicely.

Back