weekly rpn's 52 Photo Challenge 2023 - Week 52 SHOWCASE Added and Complete

Two nice images. I prefer the first as it has less distractions - and gets you the tick for technique!

Reactions: rpn
That's a big diamond Stan.
I think you've chosen the right one - it is the strongest image IMO.

#1 works perfectly for me. Crystal clear water with the leg and foot beautifully clear.

Crop is great, nice blue sky and detail in the duck.

Lovely shot Stan. The framing and colours work nicely to show the leg and foot in the water.

Really nice image, good for the theme and the composition and light is very nicely handled

I was one of the participants in the Photo Talks UK (HERE) on Monday on the subject of Light Painting. Nicky @n1kcy was the Chairlady/organiser. After the talk and demonstration by Dmirrij, I thought I’ll have another go at the technique for this week’s 'Free' Choice. I have attempted this type of orb light painting a few times before but nowhere near anywhere like those experts were able to capture. By the way, the sculpture (Mother Earth by Andy Scott) on the right isn't normally lit at night. I decided to light-painted that as well to add some interest to the image.

Week 05 - Snapper's Choice

Light Sphere by Stan, on Flickr

How did you do the lights, swinging a light around on a string perhaps?

I've had a look at the PhotoTalks Zoom talks website and it looks intriguing, especially the upcoming macro photography chat on Tuesday. How many people take part, are you obliged to contribute or is it a straight talk with, presumably, examples?

Edit: Just looked at the FAQs and most of my questions have been answered.

Last edited:
That's fantastic! Well done for pushing yourself, and for sharing.

Wow.

Would be good to know how you setup the picture. Lovely being able to see the sky through the outline of the sculpture's face

How did you do the lights, swinging a light around on a string perhaps?

I've had a look at the PhotoTalks Zoom talks website and it looks intriguing, especially the upcoming macro photography chat on Tuesday. How many people take part, are you obliged to contribute or is it a straight talk with, presumably, examples?

Edit: Just looked at the FAQs and most of my questions have been answered.

@ShinySideUp

Yes, the simplest form to achieve the light sphere is just by swinging a torch on a string.

However, a few years ago when my son was interested in photography, not anymore now, he made a 'light stick' with detachable colour lights at the ends. A bolt in the middle as a spindle to attach to a drill. Switch on the drill and 'spin' it around.

In the beginning, I was two minds about taking part in the Photo Talk but for £3.75, I thought why not if I'm not enjoying it I can just log out. In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed it. You don't have to contribute, just listen and watch the demonstrations and ask questions as the talk goes along. Nicky with take a recording of the session and distributed it to all participants.

As for light painting the sculpture, I used a small LED Light Panel from Amazon.

Reactions: nog
Fascinating stuff Stan :)

One more thing: I presume you move yourself around quite a bit as there is no evidence of a blurred body in the picture, so you can't be standing still for long.

One more thing: I presume you move yourself around quite a bit as there is no evidence of a blurred body in the picture, so you can't be standing still for long.

I dressed like the Milk Tray man, for those of certain age, :LOL:. All in black from head to toe. I moved around and also using a marker, say a leaf, on the ground and try to make sure the light was always 'lands' on top of it to get the sphere.

Beautiful shot - if I'm honest I could take or leave the orb - but the light painting on the statue is exquisite - and the way that the head is framed against the sky is fantastic.

Perfect time of day to get the blue in the sky to show the movement in the clouds.

They are fab. I've just tried a few of these for the first time this week, but don't have the set up (light set up) you do. I stuck two colour changing electronic tea lights together with tape and stuck them (with more tape) to some paracord. Got a couple of okay ones, but need to build something like you have posted. Great stuff.

I'll have a look at this talk thing also. May be worth the investment and time.

Last edited:
Beautiful shot - if I'm honest I could take or leave the orb - but the light painting on the statue is exquisite - and the way that the head is framed against the sky is fantastic.

Perfect time of day to get the blue in the sky to show the movement in the clouds.

Thanks, Graham. The timing was planned. I wanted it to be dark enough for the light orb but not too dark not to have any background interests. It turns out better than I planned to be.

They are fab. I've just tried a few of these for the first time this week, but don't have the set up (light set up) you do. I stuck two colour changing electronic tea lights together with tape and stuck them (with more tape) to some paracord. Got a couple of okay ones, but need to build something like you have posted. Great stuff.

I'll have a look at this talk thing also. May be worth the investment and time.

Thanks, Adam. I've used the basic setup of swinging a torch tied to a string many times and got ok shots until my son suggessted his setup. A lot of trials and errors involved. I'm sure you get the results very soon. I look forward to your effect.

Great picture, I always find the light orbs very interesting the use of the drill is quite clever really. I have also liked the patterns that some people can get burning wire wool, always seems a tad risky. Would that be something you'll be willing to try? I think the way you have illuminated the statue works great too.

Great picture, I always find the light orbs very interesting the use of the drill is quite clever really. I have also liked the patterns that some people can get burning wire wool, always seems a tad risky. Would that be something you'll be willing to try? I think the way you have illuminated the statue works great too.

Thanks, Simon. Yes, wire wool is another technique I like to have a go at but would prefer to have an assistant just in case! So far all my light painting images are solo efforts. A lot of 'wasted' shots.

Great picture Stan, I'd like to say I've thought of doing that myself but I haven't so I won't.

Great picture Stan, I'd like to say I've thought of doing that myself but I haven't so I won't.

Thanks, Gary.
And why not? Give it a try to get out of your comfort zone. Snapper's Choice are the ideal opportunities to try something new. I look forward to seeing your version.

A cracker of a shot Stan. Colours work well together and I really like the lighting on the sculpture too.

Back