weekly *sarah* 2015 52 challenge week 11,12 &13 added

*Sarah*

Peel Me!
Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
After completing the challenge in 2012 and getting part way through last year I have decided to have another go this year.

I've decided to not set any rules for myself and not to worry if I don't get an entry posted on the set week!

Week 0 'Pattern'

We went on a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park last Saturday to try and get some snowy pictures. While I was taking some pictures of sheep (as you do!!) some hay bale sculptures caught my eye. By using a shallow depth of field it threw the red wire out of focus which I thought gave a tartan look to it.

tartan pattern by *sarah*., on Flickr

Thanks for looking and good luck to everyone taking part this year!

Hi and welcome back.

I've seen these at YSP and think I have a few photographs somewhere.

Looks like it was photographed through one of the sculpture which adds depth.

Good start.

Just to add, the first few weeks of the TP52 can be mental, trying to comment on 80+ submissions can be very taxing. What I intend to do is for the first few weeks comment on what I consider to be the best submission for the previous month. Once numbers dwindle, which they unfortunately will, I'll comment on more. Of course, I would not expect you to comment on all my submissions (y)

Cheers.

Nice opening image Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

welcome Sarah ... oh yes I remember ... welcome back.

lovely colourful DoF 'd image

Welcome along good to see you back here, all the best for your challenge. Off to a good start with that Image, look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Thank you Mandy!

Hi and welcome back.

I've seen these at YSP and think I have a few photographs somewhere.

Looks like it was photographed through one of the sculpture which adds depth.

Good start.

Just to add, the first few weeks of the TP52 can be mental, trying to comment on 80+ submissions can be very taxing. What I intend to do is for the first few weeks comment on what I consider to be the best submission for the previous month. Once numbers dwindle, which they unfortunately will, I'll comment on more. Of course, I would not expect you to comment on all my submissions (y)

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, it was taken through the sculpture though the top was covered in snow. I've some shots showing the whole sculpture which I'll and edit soon!

That looks very effective Sarah, really like the yellow colour and the curve of the metal grill :)

Welcome back by the way :wave:
Thanks Dean, I think its good to be back but ask me again in a few weeks!!

Nice opening image Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Thank you!

I like the colours and the dof

Thank you Fabien!
Really interesting perspective on this and I love the way that the OOF red sections add to it.
Not sure that I'm getting a tartan theme from it, more a sense of peering through something.

Definitely works for me though and I like it a lot :)
Thanks Sarah, the original shot looked more like a tartan pattern but it has lost the effect when I cropped it!

Wow, that's some serious messing with my eyes... I struggle to make out quite what is in focus and why! I like it and it's perfectly on theme so well done on your first entry for this year... keep it up!
Thank you Paul, sorry about it messing with your eyes - A drink might help!!

Hi Sarah - nice!
Thank you!

Hi Sarah....great to see you back for another year.....looking forward to hopefully seeing some more of your fabulous flower images (y)

Love your image for Bliss, fabulous exposure partic in the bubbles which are wonderfully white , a lovely calming image :clap:

There is only one niggle & I'm fairly certain it's an optical illusion.......it appears to be on the squiff , very minimally, to the right.............

A cracking start to your challenge & a high bar set for the next 51 weeks (y)

Sarah, a good start to 2015. It exudes warmth and contentment. I agree with Lynne that it does lean ever so slightly to the right and I would also have liked to see a mm or so of separation between the candles and the bottom of the glass. Nevertheless, it works! Keep it going

Well executed, I like the lighting but as mentioned it needs a slight rotation.

I really like how you've captured the lighting from the candles. There's enough in the photo to let you know what the story is. I like the bubbles on the weird scrunchy thingy, my wife uses them I think they are like washing with wirewool lol. Being picky I'd say about moving the string from in front of the left dove.

I agree ... nice cosy image, needs 1 degree CCW ... and yes as the other David says a little gap between the candles & glass, I think, would make it more realistic ...but I guess you might then loose some of that lovely reflection.

Superb image. Nice and warm the birds on the candles add to the interpretation. Lighting is beautiful.

Hi, I can appreciate a nice bath as well, I stay in there for ages watching Youtube videos on photography :)

Nice and close, with warm colours, but not in the bubbles (y)

Nice splash of red with the spine :thinking:, but I think I'd like just the candles, glass and bubbles.

Good start.

Cheers.

Hey Sarah
Beautiful image of bath time! You got the whites right too (jealous!)[emoji16].... Cracking job and definitely Bliss!

I think the LH candle is a little close to the glass and that is making it look a bit skewed and because the candles look different heights it seems to be sloping away. Love the lighting though and the image definitely conveys Bliss

Gorgeous image Sarah - it almost makes me believe I can actually smell the scent of the candles and the bubbles! I love the warm tones and the way you've handled the light and reflections of the candles on the glass :clap:

With over 90 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Love the lighting from the candles.
This was one of 3 ideas i had but dont think i mine would have looked that good.

Pattern - An interesting take on what I was ignoring at the Sculpture Park to submit a suitable themed shot

Bliss - Super quality image that oozes a feeling of luxury. Nice one.

Bliss - a nice take on the theme, composition is nice tho just a little bit to tight in the frame. The lighted candles make the image for me certainly fits the theme for me good work Sarah.
Thanks Mandy!

Hi Sarah....great to see you back for another year.....looking forward to hopefully seeing some more of your fabulous flower images (y)

Love your image for Bliss, fabulous exposure partic in the bubbles which are wonderfully white , a lovely calming image :clap:

There is only one niggle & I'm fairly certain it's an optical illusion.......it appears to be on the squiff , very minimally, to the right.............

A cracking start to your challenge & a high bar set for the next 51 weeks (y)
Thanks Lynne, I must admit it does look a bit squiff, I had tried to straighten in a few different ways and it always looked wonky. One of the candles was balanced which doesn't help, I ended up getting the wine level but other things aren't right. If I get chance I can always use it on a re shoot week!

Sarah, a good start to 2015. It exudes warmth and contentment. I agree with Lynne that it does lean ever so slightly to the right and I would also have liked to see a mm or so of separation between the candles and the bottom of the glass. Nevertheless, it works! Keep it going
Thanks you, I agree on the separation but couldn't move it anymore to the right as I didn't want to get the tap in, I did try moving the left candle across but it was a bit risky the way it was balanced so I gave up!

Well executed, I like the lighting but as mentioned it needs a slight rotation.
Thank you!

I really like how you've captured the lighting from the candles. There's enough in the photo to let you know what the story is. I like the bubbles on the weird scrunchy thingy, my wife uses them I think they are like washing with wirewool lol. Being picky I'd say about moving the string from in front of the left dove.
Thank you, I'll see if I can remove the string bit in ps, I hadn't noticed until you said and now it shouts at me!!:)

I agree ... nice cosy image, needs 1 degree CCW ... and yes as the other David says a little gap between the candles & glass, I think, would make it more realistic ...but I guess you might then loose some of that lovely reflection.
Thank you, I think I might have another go on a reshoot week but it was a bit restricted on room!

Hi Sarah, that's a cracker. What was your lighting for this - it has really worked well?? The glints off the bubbles, just perfect...
Thank you, I tried using just the candlelight at the beginning but it didn't light the bubbles up enough so I took the shot using the bathroom downlighters. I did have to do a little lightening of the bubbles in ps and also remove the grouting between the tiles as they went straight through the wine glass!

Hi Sarah ...you're shot oooozes Bliss ...I love it.
Thank you!:)

Superb image. Nice and warm the birds on the candles add to the interpretation. Lighting is beautiful.
Thank you!

Hi, I can appreciate a nice bath as well, I stay in there for ages watching Youtube videos on photography :)

Nice and close, with warm colours, but not in the bubbles (y)

Nice splash of red with the spine :thinking:, but I think I'd like just the candles, glass and bubbles.

Good start.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, I tried various arrangements but felt it needed the extra bit of colour!

Hi Sarah,
That's a great shot for bliss, the composition's spot on
Thank you!

Hey Sarah
Beautiful image of bath time! You got the whites right too (jealous!)[emoji16].... Cracking job and definitely Bliss!
Thank you!!

I think the LH candle is a little close to the glass and that is making it look a bit skewed and because the candles look different heights it seems to be sloping away. Love the lighting though and the image definitely conveys Bliss
Thank you, I couldn't move the candle any further to the left as it was balanced a little precariously, if I use it for a reshoot I might see if I can get some candles that are a bit thinner which might help!:)

Gorgeous image Sarah - it almost makes me believe I can actually smell the scent of the candles and the bubbles! I love the warm tones and the way you've handled the light and reflections of the candles on the glass :clap:

With over 90 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.
Thank you!!

Love the lighting from the candles.
This was one of 3 ideas i had but dont think i mine would have looked that good.
Thank you, I'm sure yours would have been just as good if not better! I'll pop over for a look!!:)

Late on commenting, I have to agree with other comments, such a nice calming image I still wanted to comment, especially like the colour combination and the detail in the scrunchie and bubbles :)
Thank you Dean!

Pattern - An interesting take on what I was ignoring at the Sculpture Park to submit a suitable themed shot

Bliss - Super quality image that oozes a feeling of luxury. Nice one.
Thank you dear! I think you were off taking sheep pictures!

Lovely exposure on Bliss, Sarah and love the processing.
Thank you!:)

Here's this weeks entry from me! I do like to take flower pictures so was pleased when I realised that they would fit into this weeks theme!

Gypsophila, it look fragile but is tougher than it looks!

Fragile
gypsophila by *sarah*., on Flickr

It was taken using natural light (which there wasn't a lot!) iso 200 1/30th at f2. I used a pink piece of card for the background and placed the flowers near to the window. I then edited it by brightening a little and then adding a texture background.

Really nice shot Sarah - and thanks for detailling how you did it. Really fits the theme - the stems look really fragile.

Back