weekly *sarah* TP52 2014 step and nature added

Mineral - Some interesting shapes and helped by the stones being wet. I hadn't noticed the dinosaur until it was mentioned though

Sense - I know how tricky this will have been given that Archie doesn't do staying still. Pin sharp where it needs to be and a complimentary coloured background.
Agree these themes have been a challenge, really like your sense image great detail and lighting works well
Mineral - Fits the theme but doesn't do it for me I'm afraid.
Sense - Nice wet doggy nose, like this a lot good focus and composition (y)
Thank you for your comments!

I like the DoF on the dog nose myself, think it works really well :)
I don't know why I have only just stumbled across your 52, sorry :(. Some great images so far, love the shallow depth of field used in sense. I will keep an eye out for more from you.
Mineral is on theme, and well spotted there. Vignette draws the eye in, pity about the harsh light.

Cheers.
Thank you all for your comments!:)

After a lot of deliberating these last two weeks about whether to carry on with the 52 and a little gentle persuasion from Peter I've pulled myself out from the hole I was in, given myself a talking to and finally taken some shots! I've decided to try and stop being so critical about my work and that sometimes you just have to put a shot in to cover the theme and get on with it!:)
So here goes on my catch up weeks!

Never ending Love

Never ending Love
by *sarah*., on Flickr
First positive signs of Spring!

Snakes Head Fritillary
by *sarah*., on Flickr

Last edited:
Ending - crikey how did you do that ?? It gets so tiny in the middle that I cannot believe that it is real. Nice shot and imaginative - both the green stuff and the terracotta b/g have heart shapes in them. I trhink that I might have tidied up those 2 stray hairs and the spot on the b/g at the bottom. patience rewarded.(y)

Positive - good shot - like the comp , colours and lighting - one of my favourite flowers but such a short time that the flower is out. Not sure about the tips of the petals - is that the natural colour of teh ends of the bud? Also I might have gone for keeping the top leaf in frame but slightly bent.

Never Ending love is a beauty.... Your high standards have certainly not been compromised here Sarah.

The colours, the shadow, the sheer intricacy of it really appeal.

Well done.. And well done to Peter for talking you back.

Ending - crikey how did you do that ?? It gets so tiny in the middle that I cannot believe that it is real. Nice shot and imaginative - both the green stuff and the terracotta b/g have heart shapes in them. I trhink that I might have tidied up those 2 stray hairs and the spot on the b/g at the bottom. patience rewarded.(y)

Positive - good shot - like the comp , colours and lighting - one of my favourite flowers but such a short time that the flower is out. Not sure about the tips of the petals - is that the natural colour of teh ends of the bud? Also I might have gone for keeping the top leaf in frame but slightly bent.
Thanks Alan, I've had a quick edit to clean up the heart shot - good spot!!:) The effect is quite simple to do - theres a great tutorial on you tube by Gavin Hoey and its called the Droste effect.
I've not changed the colour on the flower shot so it must be part of the flower! It was a quick shot taken in the evening light and I was lucky to get a bit of backlighting which helped with the colour. I must admit the the top leaf was bugging me as well so if the lights good this weekend I might re shoot while I have more time!

I've decided to try and stop being so critical about my work and that sometimes you just have to put a shot in to cover the theme and get on with it!:)

Sarah, I sat in Costa this lunchtime and thought exactly the same thing. Really.

You have a real knack for photographing flowers and your flower here is a testament to this.

Crit, well I do feel it could stand a crop to isolate the flower.

Cheers.

Sarah, I sat in Costa this lunchtime and thought exactly the same thing. Really.

You have a real knack for photographing flowers and your flower here is a testament to this.

Crit, well I do feel it could stand a crop to isolate the flower.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, I really enjoy taking flower pics which is why I sometimes struggle to get interested in some of the themes. I'm hoping to re shoot this weekend so will try different crops and I've been lucky to have been given some flowers and homemade cupcakes for my birthday which are making great models!!:)

Must stop being so negative and just get on with it!!:)

.........tutorial.......you tube.........Gavin Hoey....... .......Droste effect....

Hold on a minute...... So this isn't a single shot?? Its had a sprinkling of PP fairy dust upon it?

I'll look closer tomorrow but I'm impressed, (either way). :) (y)

Happy birthday too. :)

Ending - Great take on the theme, I am intrigued as to how you did this. Needles to say I am impressed with this, superb pp work.

Positive - Again excellent work, and a pretty flower. Fits the theme nicely, as for crit I think a different crop to bring us closer to the flower would look good.

Hi Sarah, glad you are carrying on, have thought about giving up myself for the last 5 weeks but have ploughed on.
I enjoy your work,and these two pics are no exception the colours in "never ending love" work really well together and its an interesting article
as said earlier you do photograph a flower really well. :clap:

Ending - Great take on the theme, I am intrigued as to how you did this. Needles to say I am impressed with this, superb pp work.

Positive - Again excellent work, and a pretty flower. Fits the theme nicely, as for crit I think a different crop to bring us closer to the flower would look good.
Great stuff, love the idea of ending and very nice tone and focus. And positive is a beautiful flower ;)
Thank you for your comments!:)

Hi Sarah, glad you are carrying on, have thought about giving up myself for the last 5 weeks but have ploughed on.
I enjoy your work,and these two pics are no exception the colours in "never ending love" work really well together and its an interesting article
as said earlier you do photograph a flower really well. :clap:
Thank you Allan, I think we'll have to struggle on together!!:)

A much better week for me this week with quite a few ideas. I wanted to take something different from my 2012 52 time and also something that I enjoy taking! I decided to go for Time for Tea - I wanted to keep it simple and uncluttered, the first couple were too plain so I went out into the garden and cut a couple of flowers to help. I've de-saturated it and had put a texture background on but it didn't quite work so went back to the plain one!

Time for tea

time for tea
by *sarah*., on Flickr

Hi Sarah,

Ending - Clever idea and I like what you've done here.
Positive - I agree with Andy, think it could do with a tight crop of the flower, since the background does not add to the picture.

I've decided to try and stop being so critical about my work and that sometimes you just have to put a shot in to cover the theme and get on with it!:)

This. (y)

Hi Sarah, a really clean beautifully exposed and composed pic can't find anything to crit there
:clap: a good fit for the theme too

Hi Sarah

Just spotted your Time shot on Flickr.....delicate colors, complimentary bg colors, perfect focus , fab looking cuppa tea & perfect composition with the hellebores :clap:

Never ending.....thats the effect I wanted to use for this weeks theme....but CS6 isn't compatible with the plugins...darn Adobe & I couldn't be bothered downloading Gimp ! Great effect , perfectly toning colors (y)

Hi Sarah, a really clean beautifully exposed and composed pic can't find anything to crit there
:clap: a good fit for the theme too
thank you Allan!
Hi Sarah

Just spotted your Time shot on Flickr.....delicate colors, complimentary bg colors, perfect focus , fab looking cuppa tea & perfect composition with the hellebores :clap:

Never ending.....thats the effect I wanted to use for this weeks theme....but CS6 isn't compatible with the plugins...darn Adobe & I couldn't be bothered downloading Gimp ! Great effect , perfectly toning colors (y)

Thak you Lynne, its a shame about CS6 not being compatable, I've tried Gimp but didn't get to grips with it!

I like your never ending heart, the way the subject helps to frame itself is very pleasing.

I feel your flower should either be cropped a little closer or a little wider to get rid of/include the leaf at the top.

Your cup and flowers is beautiful :oops: :$

After seeing your lovely time picture, I've just told the wife to make me one. After one of those looks only a wife can do, I'm now on my way to make us both one :confused:

Hi Sarah :)

Really like the 'Never ending Love' - think it needs a tad of noise reduction one way or another, other than that, love the Green against the brown and of course the ever decreasing size - very clever (y)

Positive - Great light on the flower head, I'd like to see more on the stem too... The colours, composition and DoF make a very nice image still :)

Great image Sarah, composition, biscuits and the added flowers work well (y).....not a lover of the bg colour but I guess white wouldn't work, you'd loose the contrast with the cup :thinking: :)

P.S..... that tea looks a bit wishy washy :p

Nice and sharp. Flowers with tea, that would be one classy tea shop.

"Never ending love" bit late on commenting on this, must have missed it but a fantastic photo and a great take on the theme

Ending - Love this effect and looks great on the heart. Good choice of BG colour works really well (y)

Positive - Another nice flower shot agree with whats been said regarding the Crop.

Time - Great composition and again good use of BG colour (y) I do agree with Phil re the wishy washy T though :exit:

Ending - very good idea, I love the colours and the way the composition draws the eye in to the depth of the picture.

Time - lovely colours, lighting and sharpness. Like the composition too.

Back