weekly Severn Bore's 52 in 2014

Confused.......there's a Smoke shot in the pic only thread but nothing here :thinking:

n'er mind....I'm not gonna crit the smoke as I didn't do a shot.....actually I really like the smoke from those candles........(y) Only thing I'm not keen on is the surrounds to the cake.....more head on to lose the distractions ?

Interesting smoke patterns Andrew, well captured (y) possibly a different pov :thinking:

Thanks for comments; always welcomed. I agree that the point of view was not the best, but I was among a number of friends celebrating a neighbour's 90th birthday so had to go along with the events. Like Peter, I would have loved to have isolated the one candle with the smoke ring, but to be honest that was just lucky timing and I doubt I could repeat it.
Andrew

These are too great shots Andrew (y) 1st, looks like its floating on light, the faint circles in the blue/purple colours as bg, I like, I'm guessing PP'ing?

2nd, the reflection is very nice (y) its a little brighter than the 1st, to me, it makes it appear to loose a little detail :thinking:

Maybe it's the strange circles mentioned above up I'd go for #2 simply as the reflection balances it quite nicely and just adds that something to the image which gives it more interest.

your mineral shots are crackers - beautiful colkur and detail captured in them, only small crit would be in the first, the banding around the gradient of the background, this is normally due to processing, (or over-processing), or compressing the file when saving. It's still there in the full size version on flickr, which at 1MB hasn;t been ridiculously compressed, but might be worth experimenting to see if you can remove it.

Or is it added in PP rather than as shot lighting?

Hi, 1st one looks like its floating so 2nd one for me though not keen on the blue light

Great idea for close, and as above, really great bubble :)

Second shot for mineral gets my vote.

Last edited:
Another vote for the second one Andrew. The reflection is really good and it's well lit, giving it a nice glow.

#2 for me. Th reflection really adds to the photograph. Good detail and the blueness works well. I might be tempted to darken the crystal slightly, minor point in pleasing photograph.

Cheers.

Very pretty smoke rings.

Those crystal shots are spectacular, especially like the 2nd one - it's the reflection.

I like the 2nd for the reflection but the crystal is a bit too bright (although that could be my screen - or my eyes!)

Hi Andrew

1st Mineral image for me ( ignoring the banding ) I prefer the light on the rock as it shows more detail & the blue light under it to make it seem as if floating (y)

I like the reflection in the 2nd image but the light in the rock is a little too harsh , losing a lot of the detail

Back