Shugpug's 1st 52 - Week 52 - Decoration - Complete!

Good take on secure. I like it.
I don't think that's cheesy. Lovely detail and very nicely lit.
The lighting has done it's job, it gives some depth and shape.
Nice take on the theme, not cheesy.
Well shot, nothing seems blown (which could easily have happened) and sharp in all the right places.
Thank you all - I'm pretty pleased with what I achieved with this, even with a fairly basic setup - now time to improvise / manufacture / acquire some lighting modifiers...
I really like your take on Secure very original and not cheesy at all.
I like it. Theme, capture and composition all top notch!
Thank you all!

Falling behind again I'm afraid - nothing unrecoverable, but these last couple of themes have well and truly stumped me...

The back story's for Personal have been wonderful to read in to and I've really enjoyed the resulting photographs, so feel something of a fraud for posting this. Unfortunately for this theme, we decided not to bring most of our very personal possessions with us to the US, electing to either store them or entrust them to parents rather than trust them to the tender mercies of a ship over the Atlantic, followed by a road move from one side of the USA to the other... Most of our smaller personal items were also lost to us when we were broken in to in our last house, so we're rather more protective of our irreplaceables now.

So - my take on this theme is a Personal Achievement. I shot this photo on the 15th, so in scope for the theme just! It was processed and scanned after the event, but I hope you'll forgive me! This is Wheeler Peak, shot on my 6x12 pinhole on Infrared Film, which I think I might have to do some more of.

The summit is 13,065' above sea level - we went higher during some trekking in Peru, but that was over a pass rather than a peak, so this is my personal achievement of the highest mountain I've ever climbed...

20200715-Great_Basin-RSS6x12F-Rollei_IR-HC (5 of 5)
by Alex Morrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nicely done indeed and on theme. Kind of photo you'd find on the inlay card of a cd/album cover.

I agree with Stan an unusual ratio but it works and its nice to see something other than digital

Nicely done indeed and on theme. Kind of photo you'd find on the inlay card of a cd/album cover.
Cracking image and bang on theme, looks great in B&W love it.
Thanks!
What a story and a very unusual crop ratio but I do like it as to give a context of the mountain height. You have done well to achieve such a sharp image with a pinhole camera. [https://www]
I can't claim and credit for that at all - it's a commercial camera made by a one man company (James Guerin) by the name of RealitySoSubtle.
I agree with Stan an unusual ratio but it works and its nice to see something other than digital
I rather like the vertical panorama aspect - I used to have an Xpan which I think shot more vertically than horizontally...

Looking ahead at the work schedule this week, I have already run out of time for photography :oops: :$

Hence - this is not my finest work... The yucas at this time of year are as close as they get to "blooming" and send up these long, and very graceful, spears with a cluster of small flowers at the top. We went for a short-ish hike (we try to get out of the sun before the mercury hits 40 degrees - didn't quite make it this day as it was a bit more "ish" than we had realised) and my intent was to grab at least one frame of these spears with as wide an aperture as I could.

Intent and planning didn't quite meet up, so I managed to head out the door with only a camera that I couldn't control the aperture on...

Hence - not my finest work. But at least I'm back on the schedule!

Spring Mountain Hike

Personal, great image but rather a sad back story.
Yucca, I'd never even thought about them blooming TBH,
Again interesting back story Alex

Personal: Nice image and I like the crop. A great personal achievement and works well for the theme.
Graceful: Nice story and you got the shot!

Good reason for graceful.. and the shot is in the bag. They look amazing when they flower.

That’s a huge flower spike that it throws up! I’d quite like to see a colour version as I have no idea on colours and I wonder whether it would stand out more against the background - I suspect not as I’m guessing it’s all sandy and brown colours?

I do envy your scenery, but not your climate, I remember going to Death Valley in June 2006 and it was 125F to hot, and in Vegas I don't think it went below 85F to hot for walking.

Personal, great image but rather a sad back story.
Yucca, I'd never even thought about them blooming TBH,
Again interesting back story Alex
Personal: Nice image and I like the crop. A great personal achievement and works well for the theme.
Graceful: Nice story and you got the shot!
Good reason for graceful.. and the shot is in the bag. They look amazing when they flower.
Don't they just - and thank you all for the kindness, but not a shot I'm particularly proud of.
That’s a huge flower spike that it throws up! I’d quite like to see a colour version as I have no idea on colours and I wonder whether it would stand out more against the background - I suspect not as I’m guessing it’s all sandy and brown colours?
Yes - all very uniform unfortunately. Even the leaves and spikes are tending to brown now - last rain in March...
I do envy your scenery, but not your climate, I remember going to Death Valley in June 2006 and it was 125F to hot, and in Vegas I don't think it went below 85F to hot for walking.
9-10 months of the year, it's great. Late June through to the end of August, it's a bit brutal if I'm perfectly honest... We're escaping up to N California and Oregon at the end of next month, and it should be getting bearable again by the time we get back. I'm usually driving home somewhere between 2am and 5am, and its generally either just below or still in the 30s then...

Had I typed this up last night, I'd have happily been saying that my week from hell (see end times above...) was nearly over, until I read the email from the Boss yesterday, with a new tasker in for a start of play UK Monday deadline... I think my 6 on 3 off may just have changed to an 8 on 1 off :(

I have an idea for static, which I should be able to execute - probably on my way home one night... We shall see what I can grab this week!

It is a bit lost in the BG but it fits the theme and I still like it as an image

Personal - I like the contrast between the mountain and the sky. I'm not a fan of the extreme portrait format, but that's just because I have to scroll so much on the laptop screen - I suspect it would look great printed.
Graceful - I think as bebop says, it would be good to see a colour version. It doesn't contrast enough with the background for B&W to work imo.

It is a bit lost in the BG but it fits the theme and I still like it as an image
Personal - I like the contrast between the mountain and the sky. I'm not a fan of the extreme portrait format, but that's just because I have to scroll so much on the laptop screen - I suspect it would look great printed.
Graceful - I think as bebop says, it would be good to see a colour version. It doesn't contrast enough with the background for B&W to work imo.
Thank you both! And I'll let you know on the print - it's on its way :D

Made it to Week 31, just...

I can remember doing a few of these star trails with film - easier on analogue than digital! And a combination of light pollution and a near full-moon does not make this any easier!!

I think I nearly managed to hide Polaris behind the dead tree - but think it (the static part of the photo!) is just in the shot.

20200805-52_Project_Static_Edit

I had a similar idea for Static (Polaris) but it would not have been so thought out and also considered the full moon as I believe we here on earth always see the same side.

I think you have done it well, but feel the fallen tree should be ever so slightly more obvious.

Graceful, I have never seen a Yuca plant in flower, so I now know what they look like.

Personal, You did well to get such a photo using a pinhole camera and infrared film. I like it.

Pete

Well disguised static, I have never understood the way the stars move in ever bigger circles going outwards, but I do like star trails.
I had a similar idea for Static (Polaris) but it would not have been so thought out and also considered the full moon as I believe we here on earth always see the same side.

I think you have done it well, but feel the fallen tree should be ever so slightly more obvious.

Graceful, I have never seen a Yuca plant in flower, so I now know what they look like.

Personal, You did well to get such a photo using a pinhole camera and infrared film. I like it.

Pete
Thank you both - and I agree about the tree... Interestingly - it is much more obvious on the tif than it is on the jpg... I've had a go at brightening it up, and this is another export, but from LR this time rather than PS. I've also now remembered to filter out the hot pixels...

20200805-52_Project_Static-Edit-Edit

That's an original idea for static Alex (y)

Well thought out :)

Frustratingly, the tree is hugely different dependent on how I'm looking at it. PS/LR, it's about right to my eyes. On Flickr, it's a bit dark on my computer, but on tablet/phone it's pretty much invisible. And the same jpg sent to photobox is garishly bright and over saturated.

Other than differing interpretations of the jpg, anyone any ideas..? It's exported on my standard settings which include the sRGB colour space, but that's me pretty much out of ideas.

Can barely see the tree on here its much better on Flickr,
I have no idea what you can do about making it clearer, I have never done this type of photo but maybe you could have used a torch to light the tree for a couple of seconds of the exposure.
interesting shot though

Imaginative take on the theme. It is rather dark on the forum - looks much better on Flickr.

Great idea and I think just a little tweak increasing the exposure with the dodge tool or adjustment brush in camera raw (or LR) on the foreground would really benefit the image.

That's an original idea for static Alex (y)
Well thought out :)
Can barely see the tree on here its much better on Flickr,
I have no idea what you can do about making it clearer, I have never done this type of photo but maybe you could have used a torch to light the tree for a couple of seconds of the exposure.
interesting shot though
Imaginative take on the theme. It is rather dark on the forum - looks much better on Flickr.
Great idea and I think just a little tweak increasing the exposure with the dodge tool or adjustment brush in camera raw (or LR) on the foreground would really benefit the image.
Great idea for static and I agree it's a bit dark on here and better on Flickr.
Great idea and end result.
Thanks all - much as I'd love to do more of these shots, I'm definitely not a night owl... Getting away from the late shift is always something of a relief! I'm pleased how it turned out though, darkness of the tree notwithstanding :mad:

Week 32 - Pattern

I was struggling for a subject for this one - I could think of lots of textures in the natural world around me, but far fewer patterns. So - an inside shot for this week, and another chance to play with my lights. This is an unbranded "lego compatible" base-sheet, for which I have stolen and modified Tim's (@LC2 - thank you!) cross lit gel technique from his More than one light shot. Two gelled flashes - one to camera right with a red gel and one as a back-light light using a green gel. I rather like the effect it has given - I was after something a little abstract, and think I've just about achieved it.

I'd love to say the slightly damaged post was deliberate - but I didn't spot it until I got the shots on the computer...

20200810-52_Project_Patterns (4 of 4)

Oh that's a little trippy when you scroll up and down! lol

Great shot for PERSONAL. Really like that one.
GRACEFUL - nice idea but as said a bit lost with the background.
STATIC - cool shots, something I have always thought about trying but never got round to it!!
PATTERNS - nice, does my eyes in, but nice all the same!!

Pattern
I like the effect you've got with the two light, two gel set up.

Back