Week 4 - Tall

Tall Latte
Tall Latte by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Tall Chimneys
Tall Chimneys by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Tall pole
Tall pole 2 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

My thinking behind these shots:
  • The coffee cup - well in Starbucks speak a "regular" size coffee is known as "tall". Bit of a left field idea, shot in my cheapo light box
  • The chimneys are part of an industrial complex not far from our house. We were walking down a lane and I took this across the field using my Fuji XC 50-230 at long zoom. It wasn't a particularly bright day. I've cropped a little to get rid of some rubbish on the left, and played with the contrast and clarity a little. The kicker for me though was converting to B&W which I think makes this much more atmospheric, especially with the steam (I hope it's steam!) drifting on the left of the photo.
  • The telegraph pole - well it's obviously tall(ish) but shot into a nice blue and cloudy sky. Lightened the shadows a bit. The pole's footrests accentuate the sense of tallness (I hope)

Tall

You've picked the right one for the main thread. It's a great industrial landscape shot. A good choice to convert to black and white.

Nice set, a good idea to convert the chimneys to monochrome. It suits the subject well.

You've picked the right one for the main thread. It's a great industrial landscape shot. A good choice to convert to black and white.

That’s super industrial shot, theres something about them I really like, and they’re virtually non existent down here, perfect in the b&w, I do like the telegraph pole though, great perspective.

Thanks for the feedback all! (y)

Those chimneys, blimey, what a place. And yes, B&W works.

Industrial shot for me, because industrial. But I do like the alternative thinking that went into the Tall Latte, though I think you could have been a little more imaginative with that, perhaps standing next to a pool of split coffee, or some beans or something?

Tall - all your choices merit being there, with the black and white conversion rightly being the main post image. I think I have listened to too many camera club judge critiques and find myself being distracted slightly by the hedgeline having a gap (thinner section) in the middle!!

Industrial shot for me, because industrial. But I do like the alternative thinking that went into the Tall Latte, though I think you could have been a little more imaginative with that, perhaps standing next to a pool of split coffee, or some beans or something?

Thanks for the feedback re the coffee shot. Good ideas - I’m not that inventive (as you can tell), but suggestions like this will help in the future rather than just point and shoot!

Tall - all your choices merit being there, with the black and white conversion rightly being the main post image. I think I have listened to too many camera club judge critiques and find myself being distracted slightly by the hedgeline having a gap (thinner section) in the middle!!

Thanks Stuart. One thing at a time for me. I’m just glad that it’s level and in focus (mostly) [emoji23]. I hadn’t even notice the “hole” in the hedge until you pointed it out!

Definitely the right choice for me. I do find the tree branch bottom left a little distracting but possibly not much you could do about it.

Definitely the right choice for me. I do find the tree branch bottom left a little distracting but possibly not much you could do about it.

Thank you - I suppose if I had set this shot up, rather than taking a quick snap over a hedge I could have got that branch out of the way. My road into trying to be more than just a point and shoot photographer is a steep learning curve, and feedback like this is really helpful in thinking more about my composition in future. (y)

Three shots that all meet the Tall criteria.

I think the mono conversion really suits the industrial scene. As I scrolled the page, I thought it was better with a bit of a crop off the bottom - which would take out the branch. It's funny I often find scrolling on here does that!

The pole certainly looks tall and the blue cloudy sky makes a good backdrop.

I wouldn't have thought of tall for the coffee... was it latte-ral thinking? :ROFLMAO: :exit:

Three shots that all meet the Tall criteria.

I think the mono conversion really suits the industrial scene. As I scrolled the page, I thought it was better with a bit of a crop off the bottom - which would take out the branch. It's funny I often find scrolling on here does that!

The pole certainly looks tall and the blue cloudy sky makes a good backdrop.

I wouldn't have thought of tall for the coffee... was it latte-ral thinking? :ROFLMAO: :exit:
Thanks for the comments :) (y)

Week 5 - Snappers Choice

Tizzy - our cat snapped in the garden. A bit of cropping and vignetting applied (I think this is the first time I've ever consciously applied any vignetting to a photo) to emphasise the subject.

Tizzy by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

I tawt I taw a puddy tat..
I did I did saw a puddy tat ..
( those of a certain age will get that :D )

Lovely portrait Simon :)

I tawt I taw a puddy tat..
I did I did saw a puddy tat ..
( those of a certain age will get that :D )

Lovely portrait Simon :)

Ah, Tweetie Pie & Sylvester [emoji1]. Sadly, I am of that certain age......

I was going to comment on the vignette ... works perfectly to emphasis that gorgeous kitty! nice shot

Can't beat a good cat photo. Really nice portrait that's pin sharp where it needs to be.

That's lovely. The angle, the expression, the light, the DOF, the vignette... everything.

Choice
Tizzy has a very alert look in her eyes.
Nearly all of my photos have a vignette.

Nice, and the vignette was a good idea.
That's lovely. The angle, the expression, the light, the DOF, the vignette... everything.
Thank you [emoji120] [emoji846]
Tremendous. Nicely done!
Choice
Tizzy has a very alert look in her eyes.
Nearly all of my photos have a vignette.
Super shot of Tizzy, you’ve captured her perfectly, love the low angle and the way she virtually fills the whole frame, the vignette rounds it off perfectly, definitely one to keep and treasure.
The vignette works nicely - not too prominent to be in your face, but adds a certain something as well.

Thank you all for your feedback - much appreciated! :)

Week 6 - Pair

This week's theme shot around Penarth Pier, Vale of Glamorgan near Cardiff.

A pair of benches
Pair 4 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

A pair of towers on the pier building
Pair 3 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

How many pairs in this shot? A pair of huts on the pier, with a pair of boats, a pair of lamps and two pairs of people, a pair of doors.
Pair 2 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

A pair of cones
Pair 1 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Blimey you went pair crazy this week, obviously lots of inspiration on your walk this week. They all tick the theme but my favourite would have to be the pier with the 2 buildings at the end, stunning colours and nice composition.

I like the benches, definitely a pair, back to back like that.

Overloaded on pairs!

The most obvious pair (2 buildings) isn't that clear on first glance but spending a moment or two looking over the image reveals more. Also nice to see a bright and sunny image after all this grey we've been having.

Back