Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

I do enjoy seeing the young lambs about the fields, its like the Bluebells, its all about the promise of the upcoming summer........

So sorry I haven't been to your thread for a while, time for a bit of a catch up from myself

Heavy - really like the sledgehammer image, good pp work and lighting is good.
Wet - thats a pretty decent image for film and fits the theme, the composition of the first image stands out for me.
Juxta - both are very good images for the theme, but the first image is much better for me.
Oval - good strong simple take on the theme.
Straight - not so keen on this image sadly, seems a little bit to busy for my tastes.
Unattractive - I think i am with you on the thought of climbing all those steps ( highly unfit at the moment ), not the most exciting of subjects but the image is well taken and i am not sure how you could improve the image.
Shadow - I really like both your images but the first image has the edge with the long shadow.
Beautiful - Nothing at all to criticise on this image, a stunning bunch of flowers, perfectly lit and wonderful colours and the BG and FG help to make the image pop.
Low - another good film image, I have never had a go at film processing, kind of looks fun but worried it may be a bit to technical and messy. You certainly seem to have a good knack of doing it so i am impressed with that.
Match - awe thats just so cute, mint sauce anyone :exit:

I do enjoy seeing the young lambs about the fields, its like the Bluebells, its all about the promise of the upcoming summer........
Thanks Mark

So sorry I haven't been to your thread for a while, time for a bit of a catch up from myself

Heavy - really like the sledgehammer image, good pp work and lighting is good.
Wet - thats a pretty decent image for film and fits the theme, the composition of the first image stands out for me.
Juxta - both are very good images for the theme, but the first image is much better for me.
Oval - good strong simple take on the theme.
Straight - not so keen on this image sadly, seems a little bit to busy for my tastes.
Unattractive - I think i am with you on the thought of climbing all those steps ( highly unfit at the moment ), not the most exciting of subjects but the image is well taken and i am not sure how you could improve the image.
Shadow - I really like both your images but the first image has the edge with the long shadow.
Beautiful - Nothing at all to criticise on this image, a stunning bunch of flowers, perfectly lit and wonderful colours and the BG and FG help to make the image pop.
Low - another good film image, I have never had a go at film processing, kind of looks fun but worried it may be a bit to technical and messy. You certainly seem to have a good knack of doing it so i am impressed with that.
Match - awe thats just so cute, mint sauce anyone :exit:
Wow, thanks for taking the time Mandy, really appreciate it. Processing film isn't really messy, just a kitchen sink job, it's really about temperatures and timing.

Far closer match than my post for the image.
Nicely exposed, I don't think that any of the wool is blown.
Thanks Tim, the light was behind them so that helped in a way.

on theme, can't argue with that,

get the feeling you are not enjoying this at the moment

on theme, can't argue with that,

get the feeling you are not enjoying this at the moment

Thanks Allan, I guess you get out what you put in and it has seemed a bit like shooting fish in a barrel recently. The themes just haven't been coinciding with other things, for example a couple of weekends ago I was at a beer festival with various bands playing, which would have been good for this theme but bad timing. So I keep falling back on these “product” (for want of a better word) shots which involve more tidying up parts of the house than photography but at least part of the piano got dusted :)

Agree bang on theme and good use of the dof.
Thanks Dave

Last edited:
cliched ... hmmm. I wouldn't worry about that. Nice prop, wish I had one. Nice job, liking the tilt. (y)

I'm having the same problem at the moment. The theme are usually adjectives and I think more thought is possible if the subjects were verbs. For some examples -- procrastinating, playing, even photographing! So much more scope, nevertheless, it's a good picture. If I'm not mistaken I believe Waddington pianos were well-respected in their time and yours must be quite old.

cliched ... hmmm. I wouldn't worry about that. Nice prop, wish I had one. Nice job, liking the tilt. (y)
Thanks David, it is a nice piece of furniture.

Right on for the theme. Trying my hardest to work out what the music is but my piano skills are pants.
Thanks Ross, it's my better half that occasionally plays, just had a look and it is Elton John's Song for Guy

I'm having the same problem at the moment. The theme are usually adjectives and I think more thought is possible if the subjects were verbs. For some examples -- procrastinating, playing, even photographing! So much more scope, nevertheless, it's a good picture. If I'm not mistaken I believe Waddington pianos were well-respected in their time and yours must be quite old.
Thanks Martin, it was my mother-in-laws, I don't know where it came from before that.

Right on theme, but I find the angle a bit odd, and the DoF...

Match is cute ....so its forgiven if they're not quite the same, they're posing very nicely for you anyway :)
Music I really like a lot ...I'd love to be musical ...it must be amazing to sit down and play the piano, absolutely perfect for the theme, composition works well for me.

Nice musical shot :)

Right on theme, but I find the angle a bit odd, and the DoF...
Thanks Bernd, I guess getting the music and the keys in the shot either meant straight on or an angle.

Match is cute ....so its forgiven if they're not quite the same, they're posing very nicely for you anyway :)
Music I really like a lot ...I'd love to be musical ...it must be amazing to sit down and play the piano, absolutely perfect for the theme, composition works well for me.
Thanks Susie, it's hard to go too far wrong with lambs I think. The piano doesn't really get the use it should really but it's nice to have.

Nice musical shot :)
Thanks Dave

This is hard-ly a shoe horn at all, ceramic poppies are hard and it's hard to imagine that this is just a fraction of the original work. Went to see the display at Carlisle Castle and very impressive it was.

Poppies by TheWub, on Flickr

I`d say no way is it a shoe horn. I`d say it is bang on theme as yes the poppies are hard, but so is the wall and the railings. A good shot for the theme and nicely taken.
Thanks Dave,

Its such a good art installation I can forgive a shoehorn just for that it does look very impressive

Chris

Low - love the grain on your old film stock. Makes the Image, even the chap at front appears to be Elvis, That where he is.

Match, as you said, but it is close enough for the theme.

Music, nice cliched image. Tells the story.

Hard, an interesting shot and very moving seeing what the poppies represent. It's hard not to like it.

Pete

Love the shot for hard Chris

^^^ aye that too :)

Still not seen one of these displays!

Couple of shoehorns there I think :) but a very attractive display; it's a wonder how people think these things up.

OOH That's nice, thanks for sharing, probably better than some dull on-theme pic. :)

Chris

Low - love the grain on your old film stock. Makes the Image, even the chap at front appears to be Elvis, That where he is.

Match, as you said, but it is close enough for the theme.

Music, nice cliched image. Tells the story.

Hard, an interesting shot and very moving seeing what the poppies represent. It's hard not to like it.

Pete

Love the shot for hard Chris

^^^ aye that too :)

Still not seen one of these displays!

Couple of shoehorns there I think :) but a very attractive display; it's a wonder how people think these things up.

OOH That's nice, thanks for sharing, probably better than some dull on-theme pic. :)

Thanks all, it was an impressive sight.

Hi Chris catching up on comments again!

Match - Aww 2 little lambs it maybe a shore horn but that's a lovely image and a reminder that we are into spring and summer is on it's way......

Music - Perfect for the theme nice lighting and a nice composition too

Hard - Lovely image fits the theme nicely for me. I managed to see the poppies on the last day they were on display at The Tower of London and then again in Cardiff last year a truly thought provoking display

Hi Chris catching up on comments again!

Match - Aww 2 little lambs it maybe a shore horn but that's a lovely image and a reminder that we are into spring and summer is on it's way......

Music - Perfect for the theme nice lighting and a nice composition too

Hard - Lovely image fits the theme nicely for me. I managed to see the poppies on the last day they were on display at The Tower of London and then again in Cardiff last year a truly thought provoking display
Thanks for taking the time Mark

Lovely and sharp in the eye. Good catch.

Back