weekly Sonriendo's 52:2014 Thread - #9 Positive/Positivo

Not usually a fan of selective colouring but in this image it works a treat. Great image, no crit from me.

Brilliant!
I'm a lover of selective colour shots and i will say it again brilliant.

Now, as I keep telling you all I am a lazy bint, my general rule tends to be if it can't be done in lightroom - just don't go there :D So, I did a black and white conversion, once I was happy with that I switched it back to colour and then used the brush to desaturate the face and hand, all without touching photoshop :woot: - I am not a lover of SC, but somehow the strawberry seemed to need emphasising here.
It's even easier in LR. Go to the HSL bit, under saturation drag all the sliders left except the ones you want :) Then drag the red and greens about 50%.

There can be colour left over in other areas but a quick tidy up with the desaturated adjustment brush if needed :)

It's even easier in LR. Go to the HSL bit, under saturation drag all the sliders left except the ones you want :) Then drag the red and greens about 50%.

There can be colour left over in other areas but a quick tidy up with the desaturated adjustment brush if needed :)

I know - but as my girls are red heads there was too much colour left in the skin - this only took a couple of swipes :D

Hi Sarah :)

Mineral - Love the idea of the forks, i'd prefer a bit off the top crop wise, other than that really effective DoF and like the lighting too (y)

Sense - Oh Yes... a selective colour that really works, super detail in the eye and on the strawb, really liking the bright background too - super shot :clap:

Hi Sarah :)

Mineral - Love the idea of the forks, i'd prefer a bit off the top crop wise, other than that really effective DoF and like the lighting too (y)

Sense - Oh Yes... a selective colour that really works, super detail in the eye and on the strawb, really liking the bright background too - super shot :clap:

Yep, I've tried the crop on mineral and a lot happier with it - do I need to post it here?

Thanks, I'm not a great fan of SC myself, but felt the strawberry needed to be highlighted a bit more here.

Hi Sarah, works for me, not a big fan of selective colour but in this instance it works.
Nice composition and nothing to crit, very good indeed (y)

'Lazy bint' LOL.

Sense, I have no general issue with SC. Quite like it. Well composed and nice positioning of the strawberry.

Crit, well the fingers look over exposed.

Cheers and ssstttrraawwbeerrriieessss :)

Hi Sarah, works for me, not a big fan of selective colour but in this instance it works.
Nice composition and nothing to crit, very good indeed (y)

Thanks Allan SC is so Marmite :;) I like marmite but don't like SC generally ;)

'Lazy bint' LOL.

Sense, I have no general issue with SC. Quite like it. Well composed and nice positioning of the strawberry.

Crit, well the fingers look over exposed.

Cheers and ssstttrraawwbeerrriieessss :)

I am :D Can't see the point of too much faffing - bores me to tears ;) Just cheked the SOC and then the model in question - her hands are actually a lot paler then her face, I've got no blinkies at all so errrr dunno :shrugs: Oooh and just got to tell you that Spanish strawberries in Spain are so much nicer than when they've been exported to the UK - they obviously don't travel too well. They're just coming into season no but will be done by Wimbledon :(

Sense - I don't like SC so I am trying hard not to like this :D
A good take on the theme and the red strawberry does work. I like the lightness and the minimal feeling.

Sense - I don't like SC so I am trying hard not to like this :D
A good take on the theme and the red strawberry does work. I like the lightness and the minimal feeling.

That's OK I don't like SC either and have surprised myself by doing it ;)

Sense - Good idea. I like the bright red, but feel the image is a little too bright, especially the left hand side. To me, the brightness makes the girl's face almost blend with the background. If this was your intention, my apologies.

Sence: Hi Sarah. A very nice idea. High key and SC works well here. My only crit would be 1) Cant help but feel I would like the eye lashes to be more in focus 2) The model pose seems a little static...with the strawberry seeminly perched in front of a half open mouth. Dont get me wrong this is just a minor crit, though would be interesting to try continous shooting to capture a sense of movement, if thats possible. 3) consider cloning the white specks inside the mouth. Apologies it any of the above comes across as negative crit, thats definitely not my intention (y)

Last edited:
I'm a bit 'take it or leave it' on sc :thinking: .....its something I've never tried though tbh. I like the image, you certainly have this style down to an art (y)

Think I agree with Marsha, possibly the strawberry is a bit too bright :)

Sense - Good idea. I like the bright red, but feel the image is a little too bright, especially the left hand side. To me, the brightness makes the girl's face almost blend with the background. If this was your intention, my apologies.

I sometimes wish she would blend with the background a bit more :D

Sence: Hi Sarah. A very nice idea. High key and SC works well here. My only crit would be 1) Cant help but feel I would like the eye lashes to be more in focus 2) The model pose seems a little static...with the strawberry seeminly perched in front of a half open mouth. Dont get me wrong this is just a minor crit, though would be interesting to try continous shooting to capture a sense of movement, if thats possible. 3) consider cloning the white specks inside the mouth. Apologies it any of the above comes across as negative crit, thats definitely not my intention (y)

Agree with you about the eyelashes - I tried to up the clarity on them a bit - normally I always set focus on the eye's, but here I felt the emphasis should be on the mouth and strawberry as that was more of the subject :( Yep, I agree it is very staged wasn't too sure how to get round that really. Never noticed the crumbs or skin flakes - now cloned tight out (y) You can be as brutal as you like with crit for me I'll only sulk for a couple of months ;) Really unless honest and frank crit is given how can one learn anything :shrug: I take it on board, but don't take it to heart ;)

So, with a slight tweaking

#7 Sense Sentido - Tweaked
by Sonriendo, on Flickr

I'm a bit 'take it or leave it' on sc :thinking: .....its something I've never tried though tbh. I like the image, you certainly have this style down to an art (y)

Think I agree with Marsha, possibly the strawberry is a bit too bright :)

I really must leave this well alone now and go do something I can't do that fills me with the horrors like landscapes :LOL: SC is just so marmite - I'm not a fan at all - especially not in wedding photos :D

Nothing not like about it for me Sarah, it looks great.....and well done to the model too, there's no hope of getting my granddaughters to pose so beautifully :)

Thanks :) You obviously don't wave the stick about enough ;)

Mineral: lovely shot, Sarah. Love the shallow DoF and muted colours. Not bothered about the symmetry.

Sense: I think it the SC works well.

Two great ideas well shot.

"Please forgive the selective colouring ;)"
Selective colouring should never be forgiven....lol
Very nice pic

Mineral: lovely shot, Sarah. Love the shallow DoF and muted colours. Not bothered about the symmetry.

Sense: I think it the SC works well.

Two great ideas well shot.

For not being bothered about the symetry you cn jon the others on the BFF bench :D

Have to agree with Mandy here.

I really like it.

Thank you

"Please forgive the selective colouring ;)"
Selective colouring should never be forgiven....lol
Very nice pic

Sorry - I find it a bit marmite tbh.

Great shot - I like the selective colouring. You could have coloured the lips to match the strawberry. well done.

Certainly on theme Sarah (y)
The SC works well here drawing the viewers eye to the main subject.
Being a bit static has been mentioned, maybe having your daughter take a bite from the strawberry would have helped?

Not usually a massive fan of SC either, although I have been known to use it.
It definitely works well in this image and it really makes it stand out against the rest. Another yay for house models :banana:they come in handy for so many things! I may have mine back out again this week.

Well done (y)

I like this Sarah, this is a good example of when selective colour really does work! Great detail too :)

Certainly on theme Sarah (y)
The SC works well here drawing the viewers eye to the main subject.
Being a bit static has been mentioned, maybe having your daughter take a bite from the strawberry would have helped?

I will force her to eat it if I do it again :D Blummin stroppy house models ;)

Not usually a massive fan of SC either, although I have been known to use it.
It definitely works well in this image and it really makes it stand out against the rest. Another yay for house models :banana:they come in handy for so many things! I may have mine back out again this week.

Well done (y)

Mine don't really do much more than house modeling :( But, yep realy lucky (y)

strawberry shot ... (y)

And most scrumprtious they are :)

Struggling this week as have been busy with work and other commitments but really like the SC on this Sarah... well done...

Thank you

I like this Sarah, this is a good example of when selective colour really does work! Great detail too :)

I thought so too and I did try it full colour and just b&w - still a bit marmite though :LOL:

hi
liking the dof and lighting in Mineral...though I shall take myself off to the OCD bench :exit:
though before I go must say how much I like your Sense pic, particularly like the detail in the eye :clap: and SC works well

hi
liking the dof and lighting in Mineral...though I shall take myself off to the OCD bench :exit:
though before I go must say how much I like your Sense pic, particularly like the detail in the eye :clap: and SC works well

I really need to buy myself a ruler and protractor - it looked fine to me :LOL: Thanks

Back