Stevesc's 52 for 2017 - week 32, 33 & 34 added

I liked this when I saw it the other day and still do now. I like the processing and the simplicity.

Hi Steve,
Tiny - Good detail, good work with the shallow DoF, lighting good. Spot on
FACE - I HATE YOU, that was my idea, I'm just waiting on my props to arrive from Amazon (though different from yours, so I'm still going to do it). ;)
Thanks Tim and sorry for doing the same idea :D sure you take will be good!

Face the Music :D clever.
Cheers, there is a slightly more subtle take on the theme as well.

indeed.....
(y)

Thank god you put this... as I had NO idea :D

Like it, I too like the processing you have done Steve (y)
As mentioned above there is also an even more subtle link to the theme which was my sons idea (he's been learning to read music at school)

I liked this when I saw it the other day and still do now. I like the processing and the simplicity.
Cheers, I still feel it relies a bit too much on the processing but glad others have liked it.

Lol me too. I've just looked at Tims and thought I must be being very stupid. Glad I wasn't on my own :D

Great take on the theme, now I know what the take is:D I like the aged effect too :)
Wooooo I'm not alone in the dim corner on this then :cool:

Well July has just been a bit manic with stuff at kids schools, holidays and getting things sorted around the house. I've been out a couple of times to take photos but not specifically for the 52 so this little catch up is a bit of a shoehorn but they were taken approx the right week for the themes. Might try and use one of these for a reshoot as I had ideas I would have preferred but not time to get them.

Week 27 - Agriculture

Went out in the week of this theme to a local farmers field where I had heard there were lots of poppies as the field was being left fallow for the year. Unfortunately we had missed the best of them but still got a few shots. I don't think the image particularly portrays the theme but it is an agricultural field (I know it's a shoehorn!)

Poppy field 046 edited by Steve, on Flickr

Week 28 - Graceful

Again, had a few different ideas but not a lot of time in the week but recently went down to Brighton to see a family member and walked through the Brighton Pavillion. Didn't have the camera with me but took these with the phone camera.

2017-07-21 02.02.42 1 by Steve, on Flickr

2017-07-21 02.04.10 1 by Steve, on Flickr

Agriculture ... delightful, what beautiful colour and detail with oof BG verging on the bokeh. :clap:

The Pavilion ... interest processing and wonky appearance in the first.

I really like the dreamy light and processing for Agriculture, Steve, and your images of the Pavillion show off the great shapes of the roof. It's hard to choose between them as I like the way B&W has brought out the curves and lines in the roof, whereas the colour image has great impact from the blue sky.

Really like your agriculture photo, I'm never brave enough to give my photos this sort of look, but when I see someone else's I really like it.
Graceful
I think that they both work but would probably pick the colour version.

Like the take on agriculture Steve. As I love living in Brighton, yes the Pavilion is a graceful building.
Thanks Dave, I've been past it lots of times in the car but it's the first time I've been close when walking so was nice to actually have a bit of time to look round it.

I love that poppy shot Steve with the pretty flowery bokeh. I think I prefer the b&w of the pavillion, although there's less detail on the front of the building it really highlights the curves of the roof beautifully.
Thanks Emma, I liked the b&w for the same reason. If I had a little more time I might have tried to see if a crop would have emphasised the roof more but the muted blacks did take some of the focus from the building itself.

Agriculture ... delightful, what beautiful colour and detail with oof BG verging on the bokeh. :clap:

The Pavilion ... interest processing and wonky appearance in the first.
Cheers David, as above, if I had more time to process it I would have tried to straighten the verticals a little.

I really like the dreamy light and processing for Agriculture, Steve, and your images of the Pavillion show off the great shapes of the roof. It's hard to choose between them as I like the way B&W has brought out the curves and lines in the roof, whereas the colour image has great impact from the blue sky.
Thanks Andrea, I agree with the shots on the pavilion, I put both up as I couldn't decide between them.

Really like your agriculture photo, I'm never brave enough to give my photos this sort of look, but when I see someone else's I really like it.
Graceful
I think that they both work but would probably pick the colour version.
Cheers Dominic, I wasn't sure if the processing would be liked or not but it seems to have gone down well. I think it helps that the two poppies are such a light colour rather than the deeper red normally seen.

Thanks Dean, I liked the light on the B&W version but understand what you mean about the loss of detail on the rest.
If you don't try you never know hey... and each to their own, we all like different results thank goodness !!!

Had a choice to make last night, get out and drive a 3hr round trip in the hope of getting the right conditions for a shot for this weeks theme, or to spend some time indoors and try and catch up on a few of the other themes that I am behind on. Decided on the latter in the end so here are three shots to get nearly up to date:

Week 29 Fruit

Fruit by Steve, on Flickr

Week 30 Vehicle

Harvesting 077 edited by Steve, on Flickr

Week 31 Piece

Pieces by Steve, on Flickr

We're off on holiday tomorrow so will probably not be around much on here and will no doubt get further behind but hoping once the school holidays finish I'll have a bit more time to take some photos and catch up.

I like the shot for vehicle nice light also the simplicity for piece is very good though the BG let's it down a little

Hi Steve,

Fruit - Love the lighting on the slice of lemon, the way it is caught by the droplets (y)
Vehicle - Sods law that this came along after you posted your original agriculture, this would have been a killer in that theme. Works well enough for Vehicle, but it does tell a whole different story.
Piece - Simple, effective, and edible :)

That slice of lemon is great, really like it.
Lovely warm colours in the combine
Pieces, the chocolate is nicely captured and looks yummy but I think a different background would enhance it

A nice selection Steve - although no much in focus I like the lemon shot, the bokeh and sparkles make it work really well for me !!!

Combine, very nice for the theme, I was going to go out and take some of it but kept getting tied up in paperwork :)

Chocolate Orange Mmmmmmmm good enough to eat (y)

unusual lemon shot with bokeh (y)

The combine reminds me of my childhood, a late finish then off to the pub. (y)

Pieces ... of chocolate ... works well. (y)

A good catch-up, Steve (y)

The slice of lemon works well for Fruit as you can see the juicy freshness of the flesh and the little droplets work well around the edge. You caught some lovely warm light in the harvest image and strong lines in the field, leading nicely back to the vehicles, and Piece is simple and spot on theme - and possibly got eaten straight afterwards? :)

Thanks for the comments, I've just got back from a family holiday so trying to catch up with the 52 a bit.

Good little catch up Steve, my pick is the combine and tractor, as love the lighting and lights on :)
Thanks Dave.

I like the shot for vehicle nice light also the simplicity for piece is very good though the BG let's it down a little
Cheers Allan, I took the piece one after spending way to long getting the fruit shot so rather ran out of time. The background was just a piece of card we had around. I did make the choice to go away from a white or black background though.

Hi Steve,

Fruit - Love the lighting on the slice of lemon, the way it is caught by the droplets (y)
Vehicle - Sods law that this came along after you posted your original agriculture, this would have been a killer in that theme. Works well enough for Vehicle, but it does tell a whole different story.
Piece - Simple, effective, and edible :)
Thanks Tim, I have a friend who is a farmer and had a shot like this in mind for agriculture but the weather was just not right for them to harvest. I was going to use it as a reshoot for agriculture but then didn't have time to get another vehicle!

That slice of lemon is great, really like it.
Lovely warm colours in the combine
Pieces, the chocolate is nicely captured and looks yummy but I think a different background would enhance it
Cheers Chris, as mentioned above the background was just a piece of card as I was running out of time.

A nice selection Steve - although no much in focus I like the lemon shot, the bokeh and sparkles make it work really well for me !!!

Combine, very nice for the theme, I was going to go out and take some of it but kept getting tied up in paperwork :)

Chocolate Orange Mmmmmmmm good enough to eat (y)
Thanks DK, I nearly missed the combine shot as my friend called me to say they had started but I couldn't get there until the light was nearly going.

unusual lemon shot with bokeh (y)

The combine reminds me of my childhood, a late finish then off to the pub. (y)

Pieces ... of chocolate ... works well. (y)

Cheers David, did you used to farm then? My friend told me they didn't finish until midnight (I cleared off well before then!).

A good catch-up, Steve (y)

The slice of lemon works well for Fruit as you can see the juicy freshness of the flesh and the little droplets work well around the edge. You caught some lovely warm light in the harvest image and strong lines in the field, leading nicely back to the vehicles, and Piece is simple and spot on theme - and possibly got eaten straight afterwards? :)

Thanks Andrea, yes, the chocolate orange didn't last long (although we did manage to save some for the kids the next day)

Yet another catch up! Hoping now the school holidays have ended that I might be able to get back into the routine of one a week.

Week 32 - Contrast

Not really the best shot but all I have for contrast.

Contrast by Steve, on Flickr

Week 33 - Clean(ed)

Spent some time with the kids last night doing a little experiment of cleaning 1p coins with vinegar and salt and thought of this theme so had a go at making a half clean coin, not really come out as I had hoped but fits the theme.

Half Clean by Steve, on Flickr

Week 34 - Curves

While I had some coins out I thought I could get something for this theme as well, probably my favourite of the catch ups.

Curve by Steve, on Flickr

I really quite like contrast, good tonal range and textures.
Cleaned does the job, good focus on the line between the two halves.
Curves, really nice light picking out the details. Good catch up!

Steve I've just looked through your thread and I can't believe how much I've missed ...apologies for that. I was so sure I'd commented on more. Well done for exceeding last years total, its not always easy to stick with it.
Anyway, I've had a good look through, I think the stand out one is the one of your children I really like that a lot, love the angle and the focus.
The light is really lovely on Vehicle, that late afternoon sun ... a real golden glow, great angle too.
The second one for cleaned has a really nice light on it too, perfect for the theme.

Back