weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2014 Week 52 - Support added and FINISHED

Hi Alan, its good (y) nicely placed in the frame, i like the ring round it, plenty of bubbles too
it sort of looks like an orange malteaser if such a thing existed

Its a good image Alan (y) certainly on theme, but I'm a little confused as to what :thinking: ......... the orange ring around it throws me :confused:

Looking down on a glass of something?
Exactly what I was then thinking, really like the image, the orange bit (whatever it is) works very well, nicely lit and super detail (y)

Hi Alan,
I like your take on the bubble theme (y)
Simple yet effective clean image, well lit too. Small crit, I find the space on the lhs isn't really adding to the scene, perhaps a square crop?

I thought seeing as you live near the beach/coast that this was some exotic cocktail drink that you sip whilst watching the sun go down because of the colour ;):D

Looks like looking down on a pint glass to me....

unsure of the square crop idea - tried both and neither stood out as more right or wrong than the other.

plenty of bubbles there though

I like the off-centre composition, Alan, and the strong circumference line. It reminds me of something you might see looking down a microscope.

Hi Alan, I like the glass being the bigger bubble with the smaller ones inside. Very simple with nice lighting. My only indecision is the slight reflection (I think) I think it either needs to be more prominent or not there at all, I keep trying to see if I'm actually seeing something or if it's my eyes playing up!

Hi Alan, nice simple idea executed very well (y) Like others have said, the diagonals work well.
Play – Good clean looking image which has been well lit. The position of the subject is nicely framed within the crop

Close – Another one where the lighting has been handled nicely as has using a diagonal composition. Spot on for sharpness and the blur of the disc tray works really well for the theme.

Thanks for the comments, Marsha and Peter

Exactly what I was then thinking, really like the image, the orange bit (whatever it is) works very well, nicely lit and super detail (y)

Thanks DK - shot is of a small glass, about 3ins / 75mm diameter with water, fairy liquid and red ink, shot from above. The rim is partic pleasing and only appeared after I had got the glass filled.

Hi Alan,
I like your take on the bubble theme (y)
Simple yet effective clean image, well lit too. Small crit, I find the space on the lhs isn't really adding to the scene, perhaps a square crop?

I thought seeing as you live near the beach/coast that this was some exotic cocktail drink that you sip whilst watching the sun go down because of the colour ;):D

Thanks Iain. My original idea was for a square crop, but on the monitor I did not like it and it seemed to lend itself to a vision of a bubble floating into the air. Actually I think that it is too big, but reducing its size would have needed the bubbles within it to be larger. I think that I whisked them too much and they became more of a froth. Strange how this togging Challenge introduces one to the mysteries of mixing substances, whisking and surface ternsion:rolleyes:

Hi Alan, I like the glass being the bigger bubble with the smaller ones inside. Very simple with nice lighting. My only indecision is the slight reflection (I think) I think it either needs to be more prominent or not there at all, I keep trying to see if I'm actually seeing something or if it's my eyes playing up!

There's a bit of spill over of the colour outside the main bubble but I like the off centre composition.

Thanks Marsha and Peter. You are both right, there is a bit of colour spill which I could not entirely eradicate in PP. By the time I had got to a shot that I liked the light was fading and shadows were appearing.

Thought it was a Petri dish. Like it, nicely positioned and the tone works well for me.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - Petri dish - (y)never thought of that

Thought it was a Petri dish. Like it, nicely positioned and the tone works well for me.

Cheers.
Lol, I kind of get that!
I thought it looked like some sort of Cell in a Microscope and all the small bubbles were Cytoplasm or something (eww, I know).

Anyway, great idea for the theme and looks good to me.

Thanks DK - shot is of a small glass, about 3ins / 75mm diameter with water, fairy liquid and red ink, shot from above. The rim is partic pleasing and only appeared after I had got the glass filled.......
Aaahhhhh worked well mate, surprised at the size as well !!!

Hi ya

that sure looks like something you see under a microscope...blood cell or similar ...like the off centre placement ...great color & even more interesting when I read your words on what it is , really good abstract image :clap:

Aaahhhhh worked well mate, surprised at the size as well !!!

Thanks DK - it was one of those shots that started out as one thing in my mind and ended with a better shot thro chance.

Bubble is pretty cool, I like the colours. Would have liked to have seen a seemless white background - that would finish it off for me (y)

Thanks Simon -point taken on the b/g
Hi ya

that sure looks like something you see under a microscope...blood cell or similar ...like the off centre placement ...great color & even more interesting when I read your words on what it is , really good abstract image :clap:
Thanks Lynne

Thanks DK - it was one of those shots that started out as one thing in my mind and ended with a better shot thro chance.

Isn't it great when you get a break like that... sometimes what ever you try stinks so times like this are HEAVEN SENT :D

Nice start to your 52 challenge Alan - I particularly like your first few images - Line, Play and Close.. I wasn't sure on 'close' initially but the more I look at it the more I like the motion blur and the detail you've captured (y)

Week 5 - Smoke

Seriously underwhelmed by this theme and I have struggled. IN past Challenges when this has happened I have sought for the best shot and taken too much time and fallen behind. So i am just gong with some of the dozens that i have shot (and not any of the dozens that I have binned). They all seem to look the same, so I am posting a few - please don't feel the need to comment on them all - or even any!

Smoke #1

Smoke 1 DSC_5888
by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Smoke #2

Smoke 2 DSC_6033

And finally the one that I most enjoyed buying the props for. It is complete plagiarism and so I am going to title it:

More Smokey than Graham's

(I rely on Wallace Milroy's Malt Whisky Almanac)

Smoke 3 DSC_6007

Thankyou Alan, I'm flattered.... :D

I think after a few Bowmore's i could see all sort of dancing shapes in the red one, piroetting on one leg etc etc.....

The second you've managed to put a unique spin on the "smoke coming off a stick" images, having the 5 makes it much more appealing, the horizontal lines (bathroom tile?) behind contrast well with the verticals. Was going to mention the smoke coming out the frame on the left, but as it's coming out top and right, it's not such a big deal.

Striking framing on the Whisky, very bold and powerful, not important where you took inspiration from, as you've certainly "made it your own". Only crit might be the orange BG has tinted the colour somewhat.

Last edited:
Thankyou Alan, I'm flattered.... :D

I think after a few Bowmore's i could see all sort of dancing shapes in the red one, piroetting on one leg etc etc.....

The second you've managed to put a unique spin on the "smoke coming off a stick" images, having the 5 makes it much more appealing, the horizontal lines (bathroom tile?) behind contrast well with the verticals. Was going to mention the smoke coming out the frame on the left, but as it's coming out top and right, it's not such a big deal.

Striking framing on the Whisky, very bold and powerful, not important where you took inspiration from, as you've certainly "made it your own". Only crit might be the orange BG has tinted the colour somewhat.

Thanks Graham. Bathroom tile spot on. Good point about colour of whisky - just a bit fiery perhaps :) Actually wanted a Laphroig or Lagavulin but local shop did not stock.

Last edited:
I like #2 best. It has some interesting shapes in it and I prefer the blue background, though the eye fights a bit against those horizontal stripes.

Back