weekly Susiejb 52 in 2016 Celebrate

Nice shot Susie. I think I prefer the colour version in contrast to our slithery overlord, I like the oof of the Lego figure, the theme was spiky afterall.

Thank Tim :)

Hi Susie,

The Living World, life, movement and a splash of colour too, good idea for the theme.

Spiky, I prefer number 3 to be honest, more dramatic and overall better balanced and the B&W treatment works very well. Love it.

Thanks Lee ....I always find it difficult to know which one to post when I take several shots.

Nicely inventive Susie and a fun image - prefer the revised b&w version. Spot on theme. :clap:

Great idea Susie!
Love the first shot.

Abandoned - mmm yummy great take on the them I like the dog too not sure he looks very abandoned but its a lovely pic.
Camouflage - clever processing I like the snake best but the spoon is harder to spot so probably better for the theme
Danger - wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of the tusks on that beast of a boar great picture.
Topical - right on theme great picture can't add to what others have said.
Living world - what an action shot loads of drama good capture
Spiky - a bed of nails ouch I like the fist one best it is about the spikes after all

Great idea for spiky, I like the first B&W, emphasises the spikes and there is enough detail on the OOF character to know what it is while leaving something of a sense of mystery.

Hi Susie,
Poor little chap :LOL: Difficult to choose, but I think I like the 3rd one best as Lee said it somehow looks a little more balanced.

Hi Susie

Poor Lego men get a pretty rough deal on TP don't they? Much as I'm usually a sucker for shallow DOF, I like the third shot best.

Hi Susie, spiky1 is good - I like the light you have on the nails and man and DOF works for me. I prefer it over the second not because of B&W vs colour but because I can see his head more easily - not the case in the second.

I do however really like spiky3 - the best of all worlds for me. Really smart shot and well engineered! (and well shot, I hasten to add)... great job!

Nicely inventive Susie and a fun image - prefer the revised b&w version. Spot on theme. :clap:

Thanks Carl ...it's one of those themes that sounds easy but leaves you thinking 'what can I do'.

Great idea Susie!
Love the first shot.

Thanks Ruth :)

Ooooo very spikey nails !!!

Its the B&W for me Susie, although I love the colour of the nails in the second one, I prefer the B&W as you can see the outline of the face better :)

Thanks DK ....good job I added that one in :)

Abandoned - mmm yummy great take on the them I like the dog too not sure he looks very abandoned but its a lovely pic.
Camouflage - clever processing I like the snake best but the spoon is harder to spot so probably better for the theme
Danger - wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of the tusks on that beast of a boar great picture.
Topical - right on theme great picture can't add to what others have said.
Living world - what an action shot loads of drama good capture
Spiky - a bed of nails ouch I like the fist one best it is about the spikes after all

Thank you for taking the time for that mega catch up ...much appreciate your comments :)

Great idea for spiky, I like the first B&W, emphasises the spikes and there is enough detail on the OOF character to know what it is while leaving something of a sense of mystery.

Thanks Chris ...that was my favourite too ...I didn't want the Lego man too much in focus.

Hi Susie,
Poor little chap :LOL: Difficult to choose, but I think I like the 3rd one best as Lee said it somehow looks a little more balanced.

No Lego men injured Liz :)....I do wonder what gives me these ideas at times o_O

Hi Susie

Poor Lego men get a pretty rough deal on TP don't they? Much as I'm usually a sucker for shallow DOF, I like the third shot best.

Thanks Nick ...I do tend to overuse my macro lens at times.

Hi Susie, spiky1 is good - I like the light you have on the nails and man and DOF works for me. I prefer it over the second not because of B&W vs colour but because I can see his head more easily - not the case in the second.

I do however really like spiky3 - the best of all worlds for me. Really smart shot and well engineered! (and well shot, I hasten to add)... great job!

Thanks Paul ...it was a bit of a mad idea but I think it turned out well.

Really like this I prefer the colour version as the 2 elements are clearly defined.

But you need to stop being cruel to your Lego figures

Hi Susie, you've got three really good images for this one and it's hard to choose between them. I don't mind the OOF face as there's enough detail there to see what it is and the theme is about the spikes, but of the first two I am edging towards the second one as I love the colour of the nails. Great idea (y)

You have really good ideas for your themes and this one doesn't disappoint in the creativity aspect . :) I think I prefer the lego person to be in focus but I can understand your choice to focus on the nails for the theme. I also prefer the coloured version only because the blue looks really eerie and it complements the brown of the lego, and just looks more eye-catching to me.

Great shot for 'living world', well spotted and you pressed the shutter in just the right moment.

For 'spiky' I prefer the Lego man in focus, and it works well in B&W.

Really like this I prefer the colour version as the 2 elements are clearly defined.

But you need to stop being cruel to your Lego figures

:D I keep having to raid the grandsons toys ...Thanks for commenting Mark :)

Hi Susie, you've got three really good images for this one and it's hard to choose between them. I don't mind the OOF face as there's enough detail there to see what it is and the theme is about the spikes, but of the first two I am edging towards the second one as I love the colour of the nails. Great idea (y)

Thanks Andrea ...Yes it was hard to choose which ones to put on here ...I think they all had something I liked.

You have really good ideas for your themes and this one doesn't disappoint in the creativity aspect . :) I think I prefer the lego person to be in focus but I can understand your choice to focus on the nails for the theme. I also prefer the coloured version only because the blue looks really eerie and it complements the brown of the lego, and just looks more eye-catching to me.

Thanks Sheylara .....I do like the creative side of photography and some topics certainly give me plenty of scope :)

LIVING WORLD (Reshoot)

Living behind bars

I'm trying to do more outdoor shots as well as the indoor ones this year and it was such a beautiful day today I went up to my local Zoo ...it's a very small zoo and the lions are behind a thick mesh bars which are an absolute pain, but I managed to get the eye contact on this one and was pleased with the end result.

Living World TP 2016 reshoot by Susiejb, on Flickr

Your reshoot is very captivating, despite the bars, lovely details.

Hi Susie. What a lovely looking creature. Lovely detail and sharpness, even down to getting catchlights in the eyes. :clap:

Hi Susie. Turned into @Cobra have we? ;)
I'll have the lot of you trained by the end of the year, you mark my words :D

thick mesh bars which are an absolute pain,
Indeed they are Susie,
especially if the sun is on them, well done though for not getting it across the eyes,
Lovely portrait (y)

Hi Suzie

Found if very difficult to chose between the two Spiky submissions and you made it a lot easier for me when I scrolled down and saw the third :)

Lovely creative interpretation - like it :)

Re-shoot - what mesmerising eyes and beautiful animal - nice capture !

Thanks Jon much appreciated :)

Hi Susie. Turned into @Cobra have we? ;)
Well captured and good effort bluring out the mesh as far as possible, fencing can be a right pain.

Well I do have a years membership to the zoo :D

Thanks Tim :)

Your reshoot is very captivating, despite the bars, lovely details.

Thanks Chris she did pose beautifully for me.

Hi Susie. What a lovely looking creature. Lovely detail and sharpness, even down to getting catchlights in the eyes. :clap:

Thanks Carl considering the bars and then the barrier I was really pleased with it ...quite sad those eyes aren't they.

Lovely portrait

Thanks @Cobra ....any handy hints for shooting through the mesh .....it seemed pot luck, sometimes it would focus beyond it and other times I just couldn't get off it. It's not so bad if you can get up to the mesh as you can focus through it but of course not possible with the lions because of the barrier! I do love them though ....fascinating creatures.

That is lovely, Susie - the most wonderful eye contact and you've done well shooting through that mesh. And I love that very subtle rim lighting you have from the window behind - only really around his head/ears but it's nice. A great, great image which is surprisingly powerful/moving. Love it (y)

Wow, great eye contact with the lion! Stunning shot, pity about the mesh!

Living world reshoot- I like the mad contrast between your two living world shots. The action and aggression of two ducks Versus the calm and tranquil lion. A stunning shot even though it is through a fence.

Hi Susie I wrote this sometime ago, hope it helps, feel free to get back to me on it if you wish :)

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-guide-to-shooting-through-mesh-and-glass.13/

Thanks very much for that link Cobra ...some very helpful hints there, I like the idea of using the lens hood, I need to dig mine out I've never used it but there's always a first time. Interesting too about the distances. I'm off to Paignton Zoo tomorrow ...it's getting to be a habit, but definitely a good one :)

Great zpiky shots, really like them all well done.

Thank you Clive (y)

Nice eye contact Susie and well picked out through the wires, and lovely fur detail, looks like you could cuddle her (y)

Thanks DK ...she does look cuddly doesn't she :)

That is lovely, Susie - the most wonderful eye contact and you've done well shooting through that mesh. And I love that very subtle rim lighting you have from the window behind - only really around his head/ears but it's nice. A great, great image which is surprisingly powerful/moving. Love it (y)

Thanks Paul ...I was pleased with it as its only the second time I've tried animals, I was so pleased when she looked at me ...I think she looks rather sad :(

Wow, great eye contact with the lion! Stunning shot, pity about the mesh!

Living world reshoot- I like the mad contrast between your two living world shots. The action and aggression of two ducks Versus the calm and tranquil lion. A stunning shot even though it is through a fence.

Thank you both ...I suggested to one of the zookeepers that we should have a viewing hole ... but I guess it wouldn't be deemed too safe :)

I saw this little paper butterfly yesterday and thought it would make a good prop for the theme, so I pegged the silk poppy to the washing line and caught some real blue sky. I feel its a bit simple but it fits the definition of the theme if I find anything more interesting I'll put it on.

Artificial

Artificial TP 2016 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Wow! That is one brilliant image Susie ... great bit of creativity and using the real sky as bg is masterful ... um... personful ...er... ladyful (oh heck!). Colours work wonderfully well together. Love it.:clap:

Last edited:
That's lovely Susie, and so nice to see some sunshine, even if it IS just in a photograph!
Can I ask though, there's a tiny section, just left of the bottom right poppy leaf which looks a bit....odd, like it's in a bubble almost....

Wow! That is one brilliant image Susie ... great bit of creativity and using the real sky as bg is masterful ... um... personful ...er... ladyful (oh heck!). Colours work wonderfully well together. Love it.:clap:

Thanks Carl ...I think we all come under the same banner these days :) Really pleased you like it I was a bit doubtful about it.

That's lovely Susie, and so nice to see some sunshine, even if it IS just in a photograph!
Can I ask though, there's a tiny section, just left of the bottom right poppy leaf which looks a bit....odd, like it's in a bubble almost....

Thanks Ruth ...it was a beautiful day today...I even managed some gardening in a tshirt, not bad considering we had force nine gales in the week !

Yes that does look like a bubble I think it's a leaf in the distance, they have furry edges and I think it's caught the sun, I should have cloned it out :(

Back