weekly Susiejb 52 in 2016 Celebrate

Those tusks certainly look dangerous. Lovely sharp beady eye and bristly looking hair but not the most handsome of chaps:LOL:

Awwww bless him :) ....Thanks Liz .

Abandoned: captures the theme well and tells the story the fire adding to the tale due to feeling relaxed
Camouflage: as I hate snakes too passed this image by. The spoon image is brilliant though so gets my vote.(y)

Thanks for looking in Mandy (y)

Blimey... he looks pretty camouflaged too !!!

Lovely detail on his fur/bristles... would have loved to have seen him chasing/running towards you though :D

:eek: ...there are limits to what I'll do for this challenge DK !

Hi Susie, a quick catch-up from me as you've posted two themes since my last visit.

Both images for Camouflage are really striking and I admire your processing skills. I think of the two I prefer the colours and textures in the snake image, and it's interesting to see the originals, too.

The Warthog image is full of great details, especially in his bristly, curly coat. With those tusks I can see why you've posted it for 'Dangerous', and he has a beady little eye that makes it seem as though he could be plotting something!

Thank you Andrea ...I think he was a big softie really :)

Last edited:
Abandoned - nice idea for the theme, I do love a hot chocolate.

Camouflage - two very good and very creative images for the theme they both work very well.

Dangerous - nicely taken photo, he/she seems harmless enough. Not sure I'd want to get in the way of the horns tho.

Thanks Mandy ...much appreciate you looking in :)

Good stuff with the hog that's almost week 6 and 7 in one hit.. Nice one

Yes almost two for the price of one :)

Lovely sharp pic of the warthog and those tusks certainly look Dangerous to me even if they aren't.

We've got a couple of wild boar (fenced) in our local park and those are definitely dangerous, and as ugly as the warthog. People are killed by wild boars over here, but, as they are often hunters, serves 'em right.

I don't think I'd like to be chased by one Jill that's for sure !

Hi Susie, that works fine for me topical as it comes to be honest, well done for thinking of it

Definitely topical Susie and like the fact that you have the story in the bg in support - good thinking. Nice clean sharp image. :clap:

Just read an article behind the story in your shot. The headline is very sensationalist and to me marks McAfee as 'bad guys'.
When you read the story though, the intention is to provide the FBI with the unlocked phone so that theFBI don't force Apple to give them a backdoor to every phone.

The shot is sharp enough with a deep enough DoF to allow the headline in the background to be read.
The WB looks a bit off though, the white & black points could perhaps do with some tweaking.

Hi Susie,

very topical this last week. Love how you have portrayed in black and white adds depth to the story.

I like that Susie, good details, well captured. WB looks OK on my monitor.

Hi Susie, that works fine for me topical as it comes to be honest, well done for thinking of it

Thanks Allan :)

Definitely topical Susie and like the fact that you have the story in the bg in support - good thinking. Nice clean sharp image. :clap:

Thanks Carl :)

Just read an article behind the story in your shot. The headline is very sensationalist and to me marks McAfee as 'bad guys'.
When you read the story though, the intention is to provide the FBI with the unlocked phone so that theFBI don't force Apple to give them a backdoor to every phone.

The shot is sharp enough with a deep enough DoF to allow the headline in the background to be read.
The WB looks a bit off though, the white & black points could perhaps do with some tweaking.

Thanks Tim ...white balance looks pretty spot on on my iPad, if I tweaked the blacks any more I found I lost definition in the phone. I thought McAfee were doing the right thing myself.

Hi Susie,

very topical this last week. Love how you have portrayed in black and white adds depth to the story.

Thanks Emma ....I tried colour and sepia but b&w won :)

I like that Susie, good details, well captured. WB looks OK on my monitor.

Thanks Chris I'm glad it looks okay .. I think with computer monitors they do vary, I always view my final image on my iPad before uploading it.

Got to agree, that does work very well, nicely set up and real nice strong blacks, the angle of the phone and the sharpness is spot on :)

Thanks DK much appreciated :)

I really like your topical shot, Susie. Well thought out and whilst I generally prefer a wider shot, the crop works really well here. I'd be delighted with that effort tbh. Well done.

Thanks Tim ...white balance looks pretty spot on on my iPad, if I tweaked the blacks any more I found I lost definition in the phone. I thought McAfee were doing the right thing myself.
I agree, it does seem that McAfee are on the side of the 'good' (as much as any large company can be considered 'good'), but if you just read the headline, that's not the impression you would take away.
FWIW, I had a play with a screen capture of your image, in order to lighten the whites, and I couldn't get it any brighter without introducing a gradiented white to grey in the image.

I really like your topical shot, Susie. Well thought out and whilst I generally prefer a wider shot, the crop works really well here. I'd be delighted with that effort tbh. Well done.

Thanks Ian .... I did try a slightly wider one, but in the end decided that a close up shot looked more effective.

I agree, it does seem that McAfee are on the side of the 'good' (as much as any large company can be considered 'good'), but if you just read the headline, that's not the impression you would take away.
FWIW, I had a play with a screen capture of your image, in order to lighten the whites, and I couldn't get it any brighter without introducing a gradiented white to grey in the image.

Thanks Tim .....newspaper headlines are often sensationalised aren't they.

Hi Suzie,

Lovely composition for Topical. The DOF is great too. Well Done :)

Thanks Rob (y)

Topical - I like this good composition, and good dof. Well done on getting something on a very tricky theme.

Thanks Mandy ...it isn't an easy topic, thankfully I remembered reading the article on my iPad and it fitted together nicely with my phone.

Hi Susie, I really really like that image for Topical. To be honest, I think it's exactly the sort of image you'd see in a paper or online alongside this very story. I think it's a top notch product shot - perfectly lit and well-composed. Brilliant!

Hi Susie I really like the simplicity of your image for Topical as Paul says it looks very professional and I could see this in a magazine or newspaper feature

Hi Susie

Great stuff. Topical of course, but also nice and sharp and the mono treatment suits it perfectly.

Hi Susie, I really really like that image for Topical. To be honest, I think it's exactly the sort of image you'd see in a paper or online alongside this very story. I think it's a top notch product shot - perfectly lit and well-composed. Brilliant!

Thanks Paul ...that's very encouraging.

Hi Susie I really like the simplicity of your image for Topical as Paul says it looks very professional and I could see this in a magazine or newspaper feature

Thanks Mark ...it did look better than I thought it would.

Hi Susie

Great stuff. Topical of course, but also nice and sharp and the mono treatment suits it perfectly.

Thanks Nick (y)

As others have said, it works well Susie, bang on theme too (y)

Yep bang on theme. Good & clean with the story slightly OOF in the BG. (y)

Spot on theme! Simple and effective shot. Composition and colour (B&W) works very well with just enough detail of the back story! Well done!

Nice one, Susie! A really topical story and a good choice of 'props' to tell it. B&W gives it impact and the crop works well (y)

Yep gets myvote too.Very nicely done.

Gaz

Really nice shot, sharp and for me its on theme for sure :)

Thanks folks I'm really pleased you all like it :)

Dangerous - great photo, great sharpness and details. Is it just me or does he look a bit like Elvis with the quiff he has?

And great well executed idea for topical. Very clean and sharp.

This is the first time I've noticed your thread, Susie. You have some really imaginative shots and all very well executed. I love the marmite shot!

Thank you Jenny .....much appreciate you looking in and commenting.

Great shot, the black and white creates a very powerful image

Thanks Colm ....it did turn out much better than I thought it would.

Dangerous - great photo, great sharpness and details. Is it just me or does he look a bit like Elvis with the quiff he has?

And great well executed idea for topical. Very clean and sharp.

Yes it is an Elvis quiff isn't it .....from now on every time we visit the zoo I shall call him that :)
Thank you Bernd for looking in (y)

Well done with the topical its certainly well on brief, the added news headline is a nice touch.

Susie, perfection topical image. Everything is really well done, lighting is spot on as is the sharpness. The composition really helps set this image off.

Back