weekly Susiejb 52 in 2016 Celebrate

I'm off to Paignton Zoo tomorrow ...it's getting to be a habit, but definitely a good one :)
Good luck, and just remember have fun experimenting (y)
However, It can be frustrating, it took me quite awhile to "crack it"

Artificial, great idea, nice and vibrant image (y)

AI. Really great image full of colour and vibrancy, creative too.

Gaz

Reshoot ... cool cat, subtle bars ... love it.

Artificial ... beautiful props, amazing light & colour all round top job. (y)

Last edited:
At first glance I thought the poppy was real, well done capturing it against the blue sky, it creates a nice summers day feel and sometimes simplicity is what is needed.

Nice shot and a good idea for the theme, Susie. I like the addition of the fake butterfly as well. I don't know whether removing the leaves would strengthen the image or not - it might look a bit stripped without them? Only additional comment would be to bounce a bit of light back into the poppy if possible? But a good shot any which way...

Very subtle, at first I thought it was a real flower! Brilliant colours, looks almost like summer.

Susie Hi, great imagination and a good take on the Artificial theme, liking the colours and the sharpness is spot on too

Super image for Artificial Susie love the colours and lighting the flower and butterfly really stand out from the blue sky

Spiky - The last one for me is the best, definitely fits the theme and is very imaginative
Artificial - Love that the colours and the composition, the red against the blue sky make it really pop.

Good luck, and just remember have fun experimenting (y)
However, It can be frustrating, it took me quite awhile to "crack it"

Artificial, great idea, nice and vibrant image (y)

Thanks Cobra ...you're right about the zoo ...I took a lot but wasn't too amazed with any of them, onward and upwards I'll get there.

Great colour, lovely shot.

Thanks Clive :)

Nice simple but vibrant image there Susie. spot on theme in my opinion.
Good idea to hang it from the washing line to allow you to get an artificial low perspective too :)

Thanks Tim ...I was really pleased to get that blue sky in it.

AI. Really great image full of colour and vibrancy, creative too.

Gaz

Thanks Gary :)

Works well. Nice POV and focus. I'd have removed the whole of the lower right leaves, though.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy ...I did try without the leaves but it looked a bit bare and stick like.

Nice image Susie and good compo, but think it would be better if you cloned out the leaf in the bottom right, find my eye wandering to it.

Thanks Nigel maybe a half and half with the leaves !

Ahhhh nice one Suzy, that butterfly fits in a treat, and great bright summery colours too :)

Thanks DK ...it was very summery and it was quite warm here on Saturday.

Reshoot ... cool cat, subtle bars ... love it.

Artificial ... beautiful props, amazing light & colour all round top job. (y)

Ta d00d ...love those lions ...must head up there again soon.

Glad you like the poppy :)

At first glance I thought the poppy was real, well done capturing it against the blue sky, it creates a nice summers day feel and sometimes simplicity is what is needed.

Thanks Chris poppies are one of my favourite flowers, it did a good job of looking real didn't it.

Nice shot and a good idea for the theme, Susie. I like the addition of the fake butterfly as well. I don't know whether removing the leaves would strengthen the image or not - it might look a bit stripped without them? Only additional comment would be to bounce a bit of light back into the poppy if possible? But a good shot any which way...

Thanks Paul, yes I did try without the leaves but it didn't look right, I was worried that the centre was a bit dark but I wanted the sunlight through the petals.

Very subtle, at first I thought it was a real flower! Brilliant colours, looks almost like summer.

Thank you Bernd ...yes is does have a very summery look doesn't it.

Lovely and vibrant, really works well, the other half is mad for poppies,

Thanks Walter OH has good taste, I love poppies too.

That's a strong image for Artificial, Susie; the vibrant colours and point of view really make it pop from the screen. Nice to get a lovely contrasting blue sky behind it, too.

Thanks Andrea ...the weather was certainly in my favour.

Susie Hi, great imagination and a good take on the Artificial theme, liking the colours and the sharpness is spot on too

Thank you Lee ....much appreciated :)

Super image for Artificial Susie love the colours and lighting the flower and butterfly really stand out from the blue sky

Thank you Mark (y)

Spiky - The last one for me is the best, definitely fits the theme and is very imaginative
Artificial - Love that the colours and the composition, the red against the blue sky make it really pop.

Thanks Steve ...much appreciate you looking in :)

Lovely photo! Liking the arrangement of the props and the complementary colours of the flower, butterfly and sky. :)

Hi Susie, the hardest thing with zoo pics is getting rid of the bars/mesh if the animals are closer than about 10-15 ft especially the lions with that type of mesh you don't stand much chance

the other problem is then the bars/cages in the BG its a nightmare but worth persevering with

nice artificial pic, lovely blue sky and really good reds, very difficult to get right i find

Living World is a lovely portrait of a lion and you have certainly captured her expressive eyes.:clap:
Artificial - A lovely cheerful shot giving a lovely impression of long warm summer days (wish):)

Lovely photo! Liking the arrangement of the props and the complementary colours of the flower, butterfly and sky. :)

Lovely bright colours and you've caught some great textures on the fabric of the poppy. It's making me impatient for warmth and real poppies!

Nice shot, sharp and on theme :)

Really well constructed and shot. It had me fooled

Artificial - I am a bit late to the party - but really good image! Like the natural light. Looks nice and sharp.

Thanks all ...much appreciate you all taking the time to take a look and comment :)

Hi Susie, the hardest thing with zoo pics is getting rid of the bars/mesh if the animals are closer than about 10-15 ft especially the lions with that type of mesh you don't stand much chance

the other problem is then the bars/cages in the BG its a nightmare but worth persevering with

nice artificial pic, lovely blue sky and really good reds, very difficult to get right i find

Thanks Allan, yes that mesh is a real pain ;( But I have seen some photos from our zoo where they have managed to 'shoot through' it. I'll keep on trying :)

Living World is a lovely portrait of a lion and you have certainly captured her expressive eyes.:clap:
Artificial - A lovely cheerful shot giving a lovely impression of long warm summer days (wish):)

Thanks Liz, yes, she has sad eyes doesn't she, in some ways I think the mesh did emphasize the 'Living behind Bars ' title ...that's my excuse anyway :)

I wasn't sure what to do for this week, I wanted it to be something personal to me, but because of that I don't think the photos really shout personal without an explanation ....but hey ho there are weeks like that. I couldn't decide between the two so I put them both on in the end.

My first choice is the pile of papers...every week for about four years I've written a short story ...nothing huge 500 - 1000 words, I love words and I like the discipline of making myself think of an idea, also it hopefully it keeps a few extra brain cells ticking over o_O

The second one is a stone in the shape of a heart that my hubby picked up on a beach and gave to me years ago, I tend to treasure small things like that. I fiddled around with this one a lot ....putting it in a frame, out of a frame, cloning bits in and out and in the end I just settled for the natural straight shot.

Personal TP 2016 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Personal TP 2016 by Susiejb, on Flickr

My first choice is the pile of papers...every week for about four years I've written a short story ...nothing huge 500 - 1000 words, I love words and I like the discipline of making myself think of an idea, also it hopefully it keeps a few extra brain cells ticking over o_O
Blimey that's dedication!
The "pile of papers" makes much more sense now, and of course sometimes we have to explain our thinking, be that something personal, or some massive shoe horn :D
Both images, great idea's and of course both fit the theme :)

I have so many ideas in my head Susie, but I never seem to get around to putting them down onto paper (or indeed, hard drive).
I envy your dedication!
Both shots fit the theme very nicely, and both very well executed.

Ah, I thought "Personal Papers", so I was nearly right :) (though the JKR quote did puzzle me a bit).
I like the way you've taken the shot, the shallow DoF really suits, as does the processing.

I like both of those, Susie. The personal papers are perfectly arranged and lit, and your explanation makes sense of it. It's great that you set yourself that personal challenge each week, too :clap: The heart is lovely and the epitome of 'personal' in its history. Two smashing images and very good choices for this theme (y)

Both shots are good for the theme Susie but I do prefer the papers. Subtlety maybe a factor in that decision but, as others have commented, the lighting and composition are wonderful. :clap:

Blimey that's dedication!
The "pile of papers" makes much more sense now, and of course sometimes we have to explain our thinking, be that something personal, or some massive shoe horn :D
Both images, great idea's and of course both fit the theme :)

I did wonder if it was a slight shoehorn :) thanks for looking in Cobra.

I have so many ideas in my head Susie, but I never seem to get around to putting them down onto paper (or indeed, hard drive).
I envy your dedication!
Both shots fit the theme very nicely, and both very well executed.

Give it a try Ruth :) write something short for starters. Thank you for hopping in.

Ah, I thought "Personal Papers", so I was nearly right :) (though the JKR quote did puzzle me a bit).
I like the way you've taken the shot, the shallow DoF really suits, as does the processing.

Thanks Tim ....I felt it just needed 'something', hence the quote. Words are quite fascinating if you take the time to think about them ....well I think so :D

I like both of those, Susie. The personal papers are perfectly arranged and lit, and your explanation makes sense of it. It's great that you set yourself that personal challenge each week, too :clap: The heart is lovely and the epitome of 'personal' in its history. Two smashing images and very good choices for this theme (y)

Thanks Andrea I'm glad they seem okay, I was a bit unsure about them when I posted them.

Paper shot is excellent, but I like the story behind the stone. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Clive ....much appreciated.

Both shots are good for the theme Susie but I do prefer the papers. Subtlety maybe a factor in that decision but, as others have commented, the lighting and composition are wonderful. :clap:

Thanks Carl, I like that one too. I was in too minds about putting them both on but as I'd walked up and down a huge hill to get to the beach and take the stone shot on the sand it seemed a shame to waste it!

The photo of the papers is very good and even more so for the story behind it, the stone looks good and perhaps is a bit more easily understood as a "personal" image but I'd have to go with the papers, the lighting, DoF, sharpness of the edges, very well done.

Back