weekly susiejb 52 in 2017 Worn

A great idea and well taken shot for the theme Susie.

Thank you Dave.

I agree it is a tad dark but I like it, just enough light to see a reflection and a small catchlight on each ball thingy, liking the faded background too (y)

Thanks DK ...the background is all black but I set it up under a wall light and luckily it fell just in the right place.

Symmetry, nice. ....but...it's not 100% symmetrical.....had to mention it :geek:

But nice subtle lighting and it's #1 for me, nice warm tones.

Cheers.

... looks symmetrical to me, perfect pov and a damned good idea ... not sure about your lighting tho ... o_O

Last edited:
Yep, a great idea but on my screen its overly dark, which is a shame as its a great idea....

... looks symmetrical to me, perfect pov and a damned good idea ... not sure about your lighting tho ... o_O

Thanks folks, yes I should have improved that lighting, I tend to go for this very dark look, not always a good idea, but I'm pleased you like the set up :)

Hi Susie,

Seems I have a big catch-up to do on here too

Bent - Bang on theme and great detail in the ears. Slight critique would be it's a shame the turquoise background didn't go across the whole shot as it draws my eye a bit. (But that's a really picky critique so please ignore it).

Wood(work) - Oh how the clutter draws you into the image. Lovely depth of colour and saturation.
Where did you get that border from? It really adds to the image somehow. (I know that's a really odd question).

Wall - #2 for me. The humour of the sign and imagery plus the larger range of colours (y)

Symmetrical - Dark yes, but it works for me. What's with all these symmetrical images being, you know, symmetrical?
The first of the two you posted for me.

Hi Susie,

Seems I have a big catch-up to do on here too

Bent - Bang on theme and great detail in the ears. Slight critique would be it's a shame the turquoise background didn't go across the whole shot as it draws my eye a bit. (But that's a really picky critique so please ignore it).

Wood(work) - Oh how the clutter draws you into the image. Lovely depth of colour and saturation.
Where did you get that border from? It really adds to the image somehow. (I know that's a really odd question).

Wall - #2 for me. The humour of the sign and imagery plus the larger range of colours (y)

Symmetrical - Dark yes, but it works for me. What's with all these symmetrical images being, you know, symmetrical?
The first of the two you posted for me.

Hi Tim, thank you for that lovely catch up, your comments are encouraging as always.
Ref the border ...I use a programme called Pic Monkey ... it's very simple, but it does have some excellent editing effects, it's incredibly easy to use ... has a very useful cloning tool and suits me fine, loads of it is free or it's a few pounds a month to get everything, I'd be out of my depth I'm sure with Lightroom etc.

Nice find susie. (y) ... worn & rusty old gate hinge (?) in the autumn leaves with moss attached and with OOF green BG - nice one.

Great find and unusual.

Looks a little OOF, but not sure if it is or not :thinking:

Now, me, I'd have removed the large leaf on the RHS and the bit hanging from the end :)

Cheers.

Nice find susie. (y) ... worn & rusty old gate hinge (?) in the autumn leaves with moss attached and with OOF green BG - nice one.

Mmmm is it a hinge or a bracket ... who knows ??? Glad you like it d00d.

A good spot and fits the theme really well

Thanks Allan :)

Well spotted and taken shot Susie, like the oof BG and a good rusty worn metal gate post.

Thanks Dave (y)

Great find and unusual.

Looks a little OOF, but not sure if it is or not :thinking:

Now, me, I'd have removed the large leaf on the RHS and the bit hanging from the end :)

Cheers.

I think it is a snippet OOF Andy ... but not a lot :) i did crop it a fair bit ....maybe I should have been more radical o_O
Thanks for looking in :)

Nice find for the theme Susie

Well spotted, I guess you've been mooching around in the undergrowth.

Worn, lovely colours and good DoF

Thank Chris :)

Well spotted, I guess you've been mooching around in the undergrowth.

Thanks Dominic ... yes it was a hit off the beaten track!

An interesting thing you found there Susie,
I have no problem with the leaves, but do agree with Andy about the bit hanging off the end of the sphere.
(y)

Thanks Tim ...I agree, that bit should have gone!

Hi Susie, you've posted some super images since my last visit!

The curves and soft tones of the grass in Bent make for a lovely arty image and a great choice for the theme.
The montage for Wood helps to frame a collection of detailed and interesting images that combine to illustrate the process. The patches of natural light give it a warm, natural feel, too.
i like both images for Wall; the image on the second wall is eye-catching and raised a smile, but the first is probably the best pick for a 52 with all those great colours and textures.
I'd definitely choose the second one for Symmetrical; not totally sure why as they are both pleasing images, but the B&W seems to reflect the cold colours and textures of metal just that bit more effectively. A good set up too, did it take long?
Worn - you can't go wrong with rust! A nice mix of textures and colours, and a very worn-looking piece of rusty metal nicely isolated from its background (y)

Back