weekly Susiejb 52 in 2018 LOW

Great story for people Susie. Well spotted and glad you had the camera ready:)

Dramatic stark shot. Was that just contrast adjustment in PP? It worked really well whatever it was.

I like your people photo, that poor hunched over man with his wheelbarrow... Works well in B&W, but I find the background a bit busy, maybe a tighter crop?

Nice silhouette for stark, that is indeed a stark contrast. I like all the details in the fence!

Thank you Bernd, I have cropped a bit off, maybe I should have done more!

People imo is a great shot, why. It is really good to see that some younger people can be nice (y)(y)
Stark silhouette is bang on theme and nicely taken.

Thank you Dave.

Two nice submissions Susie the first because of the story and the second for the contrast even the fence stands out

Thanks Allan.

Hi Susie,

People - I think you've captured the essence of street right there with your people shot, it tells a story.
Quite gritty with the ISO you needed to use for the conditions, which I think helps add to the feel.

Stark - Why do I see a woman standing facing into the wind, with her arms raised holding pom poms in this shot?
I'm sure Freud would have something to say about that.

Thanks Tim, I can see the arms in the air .... just about :)

Love the people image - very good that you spotted it and got the shot

Thanks Ian.

Hi Susie, Im with B on this...the people shot BG is very busy, but the content is good, and as B said, the fence adds interest to stark....

Thanks Mark, I was literally first in the traffic queue and grabbed my camera off the passenger seat.

Good "street" telling a story ... I agree about cropping some off the top. And the silhouetted fence and palm works well. (y)

Thanks d00d, I liked the storyline, but agree the composition isn’t the best.

People, well spotted for the theme and certainly a good story, I found when shooting for the people theme that it was hard to get interesting scenes with the people in good light, I guess it needs the patience of a wildlife ‘tog.

Stark works well for the theme, good silhouette and interesting shapes

Thanks Chris, it was very much a grab the camera and go with what I had.

What a great image for people Susie such a nice story behind it too. The B&W works really well

And Stark is very striking indeed great silhouette I really like that.

Thanks Mark, I was lucky my camera was set on b&w from the palm tree shot I’d just taken, it was just so nice to see those boys being so kind.

Great story for people Susie. Well spotted and glad you had the camera ready:)

Dramatic stark shot. Was that just contrast adjustment in PP? It worked really well whatever it was.

Thanks John, yes I took the photo in b&w and then just fiddled about in pp until I liked it :)

Last edited:
Hi Susie,

Gate - Well chosen spot for the theme, another lovely view. I like the light highlighting the waves
People - lovely story that captured a moment and thats just how it should be. :D
Stark - Good spot, and I like that its just the tree and fence adding to the starkness

Week 2 - That makes more sense to me with the explanation. Well spotted and gritty monochrome works well.

Week 3 - Stark - hits the theme and the detail in the fence really makes it.

I’m using a rota to make sure I spread my comments round. Will be doing about 1 in 7 each week.

People - what a lovely story behind the photo nicely captured
Stark - great silhouette good sharp details

Hi Susie,

Gate - Well chosen spot for the theme, another lovely view. I like the light highlighting the waves
People - lovely story that captured a moment and thats just how it should be. :D
Stark - Good spot, and I like that its just the tree and fence adding to the starkness

Thank you Georgina much appreciate you looking in.

Week 2 - That makes more sense to me with the explanation. Well spotted and gritty monochrome works well.

Week 3 - Stark - hits the theme and the detail in the fence really makes it.

I’m using a rota to make sure I spread my comments round. Will be doing about 1 in 7 each week.

Thanks David, good idea to spread the comments.

People - what a lovely story behind the photo nicely captured
Stark - great silhouette good sharp details

Thank you, it was nice to capture a special moment.

Simple idea that looks great too, nice work

People

That's a really good shot, it captures the essence of theme, people.

Stark

Yup, that's stark

Fantastic shot for over Susie, I like the whole thing, the framing, the dof, the mono....well done.

Over

It's a good idea, I think the whites could be a bit whiter.

Clean and simple. Nice.

Wot he said.

Pete

Simple idea that looks great too, nice work

People

That's a really good shot, it captures the essence of theme, people.

Stark

Yup, that's stark

Fantastic shot for over Susie, I like the whole thing, the framing, the dof, the mono....well done.

Over

It's a good idea, I think the whites could be a bit whiter.

Thanks folks much appreciate you all looking in and I'll be back to commenting on everyone's photos very soon....Dominic I do agree an those whites, everything's a bit rushed at the min, just dashing from Cornwall to Birmingham but managed a very quick edit.Probably overdone it a bit but no time to fiddle. :)

Over TP Week 3 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice B&W simplicity. You're good at this kind of thing susie. (y)

Nice take in the theme Susie like the contrast of the black and white.your edited version does have a bit more pop to it.

People is a very good street shot, the kid pointing makes it for me. Personally I'd crop a bit off the bottom and left of the image.

Stark; yep, it certainly is. Nicely done.

Over: It's nice to see such an unusual take on the theme, well executed. I prefer the edited version.

Very much in your style Susie. I recall quite a few shots in your previous years which have the strong plain background with the subject standing out from it (y)
Nothing more to add really.

I like the edit Susie, it's more striking

Welcome back, Susie! You're off to a great start with those images; Watergate Bay is really striking with that striking sequence of waves rolling into the bay, the story behind People can be seen from the protective pose of the young lad and the stooped posture of the old man and works well in grainy B&W, Stark is a striking silhouette and again meets the theme perfectly, and your latest image for Over is a great idea and well composed. The tweak for the second image brings up the contrast and the white and adds impact to a simple but strong image (y)

My area - Gate(d) Now that I do like two themes in the one image, good thinking when your a little bit behind, even as you say it's a bit of a shoehorn it works for me.

People - sadly compositionally this image doesn't work for me im afraid, I find the foreground a bit to distracting.

Stark - fits the theme nicely for me, I like this alot.

Over - a nice simple crips clean shot, well composed nice one.

Last edited:
Nice, clean and simple, I like that photo!

Nice B&W simplicity. You're good at this kind of thing susie. (y)

Nice take in the theme Susie like the contrast of the black and white.your edited version does have a bit more pop to it.

People is a very good street shot, the kid pointing makes it for me. Personally I'd crop a bit off the bottom and left of the image.

Stark; yep, it certainly is. Nicely done.

Over: It's nice to see such an unusual take on the theme, well executed. I prefer the edited version.

Simple but effective not much more I can add

Very much in your style Susie. I recall quite a few shots in your previous years which have the strong plain background with the subject standing out from it (y)
Nothing more to add really.

I like the edit Susie, it's more striking

simple but very effective a very strong image

Welcome back, Susie! You're off to a great start with those images; Watergate Bay is really striking with that striking sequence of waves rolling into the bay, the story behind People can be seen from the protective pose of the young lad and the stooped posture of the old man and works well in grainy B&W, Stark is a striking silhouette and again meets the theme perfectly, and your latest image for Over is a great idea and well composed. The tweak for the second image brings up the contrast and the white and adds impact to a simple but strong image (y)

nice, simple and on theme. Love the use of b+w for it too.

Nice, clean and simple, I like that photo!

Simple but bang on theme Susie, like that its in mono too :)

Thank you so much folks for taking the time to look in and comment, I'm feeling sooooo guilty as I haven't commented much at all lately, I do promise that I'll be back to normal very soon.

Up in Birmingham emptying my late father in laws house this week, I was so thrilled to find this five year diary documenting his years at the end of the war in India, and a glimpse into life as it was then. It was a truly different Age altogether. I really like this page mentioning his 18th letter to his wife, and then a year later he was up to the 374th, he wrote every single day, he was in hospital with Malaria at that time. The entries after the war mention bed at 9.30 after listening to the wireless and rug making in the evening....anyone remember Redicut Rugs! The medals were in the original box and hadn't even had the ribbon put on them.
Some of you may recall my photo last year of him sitting contentedly smoking his pipe, I guess there aren't many left now of that generation.

AGE TP 2018 Week 4 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Susie,

Gate. Not sure you have brought the best out of Watergate Bay, but a good shot.
People, I like this for the spontaneity of the capture and it is good to know Gilbert still about.
Stark Nice choice, well executed, is that on the way to Fistral? Great Shot bang on theme.
Over. Really like this, simple, excellent composition.
Age. My favourite shot so far, interesting subject and so well executed. Everything about it makes it great for me.

Some of you may recall my photo last year of him sitting contentedly smoking his pipe .....

... remember it well, a supper image.

And I really like your Age shot here .... nicely put together with great framing :clap:

Up in Birmingham emptying my late father in laws house this week, I was so thrilled to find this five year diary documenting his years at the end of the war in India, and a glimpse into life as it was then. It was a truly different Age altogether. I really like this page mentioning his 18th letter to his wife, and then a year later he was up to the 374th, he wrote every single day, he was in hospital with Malaria at that time. The entries after the war mention bed at 9.30 after listening to the wireless and rug making in the evening....anyone remember Redicut Rugs! The medals were in the original box and hadn't even had the ribbon put on them.
Some of you may recall my photo last year of him sitting contentedly smoking his pipe, I guess there aren't many left now of that generation.

This is a great image for me and spot on the theme. What an incredible find that diary is. Must be fascinating reading every page, knowing how personal it is too. I used to write to my wife a fair bit when we were courting, but every single day is great going

Age is a great subject, well composed, well lit, well processed, excellent photo.

Hi Susie, I remember that fantastic photo you took of him smoking his pipe, and this photo is also fantastic too. Beautifully taken and bang on theme and best one yet too imo, the PP is great too as it really does suit it.

What's not to like Susie nicely composed and lit brilliantly processed and what a lovely memory of your dad.

Fantastic photo for age Susie.It really suits the period it defines.

Pete

Great photo, I like the story behind it, the composition and the processing! Top (y)

Back