Takes On Liquid - January Challenge

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm putting this up a couple of days early because I probably won't be in a fit state tomorrow or the day after :beer:

This is a monthly challenge, I will post a new theme drawn at random from a list of themes (Takes-on 2019 theme suggestions) at the start of each month. The challenge is to take up to 6 photos to the theme "liquid" in the month of January and post them in this thread. Constructive comments are encouraged and should also be posted in this thread. There is a discussion thread for general chat, ideas, etc.

Just to reiterate, photos should be shot and posted this month, January 2019 feel free to jump in whenever you like. Happy shooting :)

The previous month is here - Takes on the season - December Challenge

@Cobra, please sticky this thread and unsticky December when you get chance

Happy new year!

I'll start with this little number :)

I'll not be spilling any like that though ^^^^^

i-rqnBRTb.jpg

-Oy- Your measurement is generous. I'll pass on this as I hate the stuff. But please i will have a tumbler of wine.
Might have a go at this myself.

@-Oy- It's long time since I had Glenfarclas, not seen any around for a while. i'm gonna have to find a bottle now :)

@-Oy- It's long time since I had Glenfarclas, not seen any around for a while. i'm gonna have to find a bottle now :)

Booths usually have the standard 10 year old. Sometimes the 105.

A creative shot for this month first submission.

Well we might as well all pack up now Stan, it's going to be hard to beat that, excellent water drop and colours :clap:

Brilliant photos so far for this months challenge folks. It looks like being an excellent month.

Hard to single any of them out as they’re all great but I do think that one of yours of the pencil Stan is an absolute cracker.

I need to find my creative streak again!

Brilliant photos so far for this months challenge folks. It looks like being an excellent month.

Hard to single any of them out as they’re all great but I do think that one of yours of the pencil Stan is an absolute cracker.

I need to find my creative streak again!

Thanks, Susie. Just need some patient to set up the shot in particularly the droplet.

Last edited:
Stan, that is excellent.

@Lindsay56 it's good to see a bit of "action" I wonder if they'd work in B&W?

@rpn very clever effect for what appears to be a simple set-up although I guess it probably took a bit fiddling to get it spot on.

Chris, excellent suggestion. I've converted 3 of the shots I took to b&w and uploaded them to Flick, adding one to my post above too. Thanks for the idea

@Lindsay56 it's good to see a bit of "action" I wonder if they'd work in B&W?

@rpn very clever effect for what appears to be a simple set-up although I guess it probably took a bit fiddling to get it spot on.

Yes, it did. Mostly trying to avoid reflections on the glass.

Last edited:
Nice patterns and texture. My previous attempts were nowhere near as good as yours.
Thanks Stan, been making a weekend of it in the kitchen shooting droplets, even managed a couple collisions. Nothing fancy like I have seen but I'm pretty happy.

Love those drops!

Too clever for me - so here's more booze :)

A can of fashion... down a back alley in Manchester yesterday.

i-xct73rK.jpg

Two nice waterdrop shots. Did you use a fancy trigger or just perfect timing?
Thanks Stan, no fancy triggers here. I made a jig to keep the drips in one place for focus and then go by sound as to when to fire off a 3-5 shot burst. I can kinda hear when I get the drip speed to start double dripping. Lots of misses but I usually get one or 2 interesting shots each round and maybe a collision every 20 shots or so.

Last edited:
Fantastic water drop images!

@RyanB well done for getting those images 'the old fashioned way'!

I've been wanting to create images like this for a long time, so I decided to build my own drop controller

I've been playing around with some Arduinos recently and I've managed to cobble together a simple controller that actually works quite well.
Here's one I made earlier...

IMG_0580 by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

I was thinking I'd write a short piece about the journey I had on the build in Personal Projects and Themes section...I'm a complete novice with electronics and Arduinos, so it will probably (definitely) be an idiots guide!:D

Beautiful shot @GarethB , I had read an instructional where someone did as you and built their own using Arduinos. Most of what they were talking about was over my head so if you do decide to make an idiots guide, I for one would very much appreciate it. Dumb it down enough and I might even be able to follow it.:p

Beautiful shot @GarethB , I had read an instructional where someone did as you and built their own using Arduinos. Most of what they were talking about was over my head so if you do decide to make an idiots guide, I for one would very much appreciate it. Dumb it down enough and I might even be able to follow it.:p

Thank you Ryan, most appreciated.(y)

[**Shameless Plug Mode Enabled**]

I have indeed created such a guide...
You can find it HERE

It's fairly complete and (I hope) reasonably simple.
I will of course be adding to it (right now in fact!!) - there's a couple of details that need to be addressed.
:)

Last edited:
Back